Vox Populi Compatibility Discussion

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
In this thread is open to discussion on various custom civilizations and issues on any of the custom civilizations compatibility shown in the showcases here. Also the thread for requests like (can i have this civ compatible with vp k thx)

What does it mean to install these compatible civilizations? They may follow these general formats:
1-2-3 ([1]-[2]-3): Install the original mod; install the Compatibility Add-on; Play the game!
Install and Play (I&P): Install the mod as itself and play!
Others: (have to be researched until further notice, see their thread and post to see how to install)

Now you may notice one thing weird. Seals? What are Seals? They are seals of approvals. They are attained only if applicable! If a UI mod doesn't have anything to do with E&D, it doesn't technically mean it's incompatible. It's just a UI mod that has nothing to do with it.

- Has paperwork in this page? ez seal.
- Screenshot to earn the seal.
- Screenshot these 3uc and 4uc ez seal.
- Can I put this in a photojournal or upload it on Youtube without the mod suddenly exploding on me? Ez seal then.
- Can I get Gazebo to say wow this is a pretty good mod? Easy Ok maybe not so easy seal.

Extra Resources
Civilization's Showcase
Thread's precedent
What Goes Inside of a Brain of a Compatibility Civilization ModMod?

Last edited:
I've been watching and appreciating all the work you've put in over the years, but I still yearn for one last thing out of this game for personal happiness. To get real for a second here, I'm dying of cancer and quite frankly am on borrowed time. I would love to be able to play some civ as my home nation of Canada, but for a few years now I've watched as the only attempt had been left rendered incompatible with VP. It kind of works, but there are some bugs which kill playability. I've seen a fellow Canadian on these boards, @pineappledan, try to rekindle and acclimate the mod for VP, but so far to no avail.

If there's any way you could touch up and tinker with the civ (http://civilization-v-customisation.wikia.com/wiki/Canada_(Lester_B._Pearson)) to get it functional and of course balanced with VP, I would be so very grateful. You'd legitimately put a smile on my face, which is pretty rare for me these days. Regardless, the work Gazebo, yourself and the entire rest of the community has done is tremendous and it's so cool to see so many from around the world get a taste of the awesomeness you've all provided. For Free none the less...! Keep up all the great work, and thank you!

Also, are all of the civs in the linked showcase page actually balanced with VP? Some of them seem pretty OP, but I guess as long as I don't use the modmod to add some of the extra 3rd or 4th UB/UU from them it should be alright?

I've been watching and appreciating all the work you've put in over the years, but I still yearn for one last thing out of this game for personal happiness. To get real for a second here, I'm dying of cancer and quite frankly am on borrowed time. I would love to be able to play some civ as my home nation of Canada, but for a few years now I've watched as the only attempt had been left rendered incompatible with VP. It kind of works, but there are some bugs which kill playability. I've seen a fellow Canadian on these boards, @pineappledan, try to rekindle and acclimate the mod for VP, but so far to no avail.

If there's any way you could touch up and tinker with the civ (http://civilization-v-customisation.wikia.com/wiki/Canada_(Lester_B._Pearson)) to get it functional and of course balanced with VP, I would be so very grateful. You'd legitimately put a smile on my face, which is pretty rare for me these days. Regardless, the work Gazebo, yourself and the entire rest of the community has done is tremendous and it's so cool to see so many from around the world get a taste of the awesomeness you've all provided. For Free none the less...! Keep up all the great work, and thank you!
I believe I helped him with something, but I forgot so it should be relatively done soon fully.
Also, are all of the civs in the linked showcase page actually balanced with VP? Some of them seem pretty OP, but I guess as long as I don't use the modmod to add some of the extra 3rd or 4th UB/UU from them it should be alright?
Beats me. Balance is up to the interpretation of the author just like how some abilities are considered imbalanced in base Vox Populi.

I'd love to see you update UCS and WCR for the latest version :) I miss them.

UCS is my favourite VP mod. I actually think it should be part of base VP, it's that good and fits in that well.

Last edited:
I believe I helped him with something, but I forgot so it should be relatively done soon fully
Unfortunately, The thing I was asking for help with was for a port of the Timurid civilization by Tomatekh. I haven’t started work on coding for CL’s Canada port. Hinin and I have been workshopping it in private discussions, but we haven’t gotten started on it in earnest.

@Kim Dong Un, I’m very sorry to hear about your circumstance. I am ironing out kinks with the Timurids and finishing off my masters’ at the moment, so I can’t promise my undivided attention on the Canada port, but I promise to make it a priority.

If anyone is available and willing to code for the Canada mod, I am happy to hand it off to someone else. PM me if you are interested in what @Hinin and I have worked out for CL’s Canada.

@Enginseer, the 3UC/4UC mod should have @adan_eslavo and @Blue Ghost as the Co-authors. There were others involved too, but they did most of it; I merely maintain the forum and minor balance tweaks.

I haven’t started work on coding for CL’s Canada port. Hinin and I have been workshopping it in private discussions, but we haven’t gotten started on it in earnest.

@Kim Dong Un, I’m very sorry to hear about your circumstance. I am ironing out kinks with the Timurids and finishing off my masters’ at the moment, so I can’t promise my undivided attention on the Canada port, but I promise to make it a priority.

If anyone is available and willing to code for the Canada mod, I am happy to hand it off to someone else. PM me if you are interested in what @Hinin and I have worked out for CL’s Canada.
It's all good. Take your time, work at the pace that's best for you and don't fret. The last thing I want to do is instill some kind of guilt, or make somebody feel obligated to do something because I'm sick. The fact that you've acknowledged my inquiry is more than enough, and I take comfort in the fact that the project is in the pipeline and that there is a possibility I will get to see it come to fruition, so thank you.

A while back, I was going to use the opportunity to actually learn to code myself, but at the end of the day it's hard to get motivated enough to actually see certain things through.

Unique City-States should be there.

Changelog for VP Promo Icons :
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/vp-promo-icons.26929/updates

Worker Mountaineering : "Allows Workers and Settlers cross mountains like the Incas"
Not exactly. All Incas units can cross mountains from Turn 1. Here, only Workers and Settlers can go after Dynamite. Then, if a road is built on it any units can can enjoy the fresh air of the mountain.
Huh I didn't even notice that. Forgot to self-advertise my own mod ironically. Done and done.
@Enginseer, the 3UC/4UC mod should have @adan_eslavo and @Blue Ghost as the Co-authors. There were others involved too, but they did most of it; I merely maintain the forum and minor balance tweaks.
Done.
A while back, I was going to use the opportunity to actually learn to code myself, but at the end of the day it's hard to get motivated enough to actually see certain things through.
The only hard part about coding as you see in my third extra resource link is using other people's code to make your own code. In this case I don't like the format that other modders make and I often have to *start up the game* to start comparing data and make my own balance notes. If you shoot me Canada's notes(like the complete functionality of what they do in-game), then I can just port it around easily within a day or two. No promises though if the notes don't feel complete.

I can't vouch for other civs except for my own.
Israel is arguably a bit below power curve. The civ explodes in the industrial, but the AI can rarely survive that long. In a player's hand the civ is solid.
Sumer is an exceptionally AI-friendly civ, and computer opponents do very well with him. In player hands he feels balanced.
The Goths are slightly overpowered.

It's all good. Take your time, work at the pace that's best for you and don't fret. The last thing I want to do is instill some kind of guilt, or make somebody feel obligated to do something because I'm sick.
To be honest, it sounds like it's exactly what you want. Why else would you say that in this forum which is about game mod development?
I feel sorry for your situation, though. What are your chances?

To be honest, it sounds like it's exactly what you want. Why else would you say that in this forum which is about game mod development?
I feel sorry for your situation, though. What are your chances?
Congrats man for having the balls to call that out. I was waiting for it to happen after submitting it last night and realizing after reading it through again now. Though not my intention, that's exactly what it seems like doesn't it? Thank you for reinforcing my personal policy of rarely ever saying anything about it to anybody, for this exact reason. Stuff like this ruins my night...

I was just being honest, and was blunt about it, stating it for the first time ever on these boards, even though I've been using VP for ages and have posted here for almost a year now. I'm 27, and will most likely be dead before 30, after already having experienced living hell for nearly the past 5 years. I'd rather be healthy and "normal" again and don't need or want anyone's pity. I won't speak on this anymore, and will focus on continuing to use this game as a stress relieving escape from my unfortunate reality. I apologize to Enginseer and PineappleDan if that's how things were perceived.

I apologize to Enginseer and PineappleDan if that's how things were perceived.
Geez, nothin' to apologize over, you hoser.

I had fully intended to try my hand at porting over the Canada mod myself, so you're inconveniencing no one. I have a list of 3-4 civs after the Timurids that I wanted to make conversions for. I had planned on doing Canada 3rd, now I'll just move that up to 1st.

I didn't think anyone else really cared about Canada in the game, so I made it a low priority because I thought it was mostly just for me. I'm happy to bump it up in line, and try to get other people in on it, since I know now that other people are looking forward to having Canada too.

I didn't think anyone else really cared about Canada in the game, so I made it a low priority because I thought it was mostly just for me. I'm happy to bump it up in line, and try to get other people in on it, since I know now that other people are looking forward to having Canada too.
Yea aside from personal bias, the sheer size of landmass/resources and scope of influence a developed nation like Canada holds throughout the world is justifiable for a VP compatible civ. I know I can play Iroquois, but it's not the same. What honestly irked me is the fact that there actually was a completed Canada civ, but it just wasn't fully functional with VP and has been just sitting there for years staring at me. Again, something I should've pursued myself in hindsight.

Especially when I saw quite a few obscure or minor civs, even fictional, being made. The Western Hemisphere is less represented through civ in general, and although just a baby compared to most others, Canada deserves a spot. Well and the fact that Sid Meier himself is Canadian...

Last edited:
Congrats man for having the balls to call that out. I was waiting for it to happen after submitting it last night and realizing after reading it through again now. Though not my intention, that's exactly what it seems like doesn't it? Thank you for reinforcing my personal policy of rarely ever saying anything about it to anybody, for this exact reason. Stuff like this ruins my night...

I was just being honest, and was blunt about it, stating it for the first time ever on these boards, even though I've been using VP for ages and have posted here for almost a year now. I'm 27, and will most likely be dead before 30, after already having experienced living hell for nearly the past 5 years. I'd rather be healthy and "normal" again and don't need or want anyone's pity. I won't speak on this anymore, and will focus on continuing to use this game as a stress relieving escape from my unfortunate reality. I apologize to Enginseer and PineappleDan if that's how things were perceived.

Keep it up! Don't be so fragile, that a stranger from the internet that you have never met and never will, could ruin your night. I wasn't insulting you or even being offensive to you. You might think that, because of cultural difference. It's a stereotype that Canadians are overly polite, which I believe is true to some degree (also Americans, British and French), while Polish (also Germans and Russians) are blunt. When we say sth neutral, then Canadians think it was negative, because they expect others to be polite.
If you have a need to share your situation with anyone, then by all means do it! It won't harm anyone and it's perfectly natural that you have that need and it might help you feel better. Just don't pretend that you didn't expect that people will feel pity for you. Of course they will, as empathetic human beings, because that's so disastrous, that no one deserve it. Maybe except for Kim Dong Un (stupid joke, don't mind it :p).
Like I said before, even when I may seem blunt to you, I really feel sorry for you, because I pity you. And because of pity, PineappleDan will make the Canadian mod the number one priority... Which is not a bad thing at all! (I know he said that he will do it, just because there an interest in the mod, but I think that he is empathetic and feel sorry for you, which made him change priority). So don't be ashamed that people pity you, as it's natural reaction.

Yea aside from personal bias, the sheer size of landmass/resources and scope of influence a developed nation like Canada holds throughout the world is justifiable for a VP compatible civ. I know I can play Iroquois, but it's not the same. What honestly irked me is the fact that there actually was a completed Canada civ, but it just wasn't fully functional with VP and has been just sitting there for years staring at me. Again, something I should've pursued myself in hindsight.

Especially when I saw quite a few obscure or minor civs, even fictional, being made. The Western Hemisphere is less represented through civ in general, and although just a baby compared to most others, Canada deserves a spot. Well and the fact that Sid Meier himself is Canadian...
I fully agree that Canada deserve a mod mod.

@CppMaster Yes, you speak the truth. Thank you.

Top Bottom