VQ03 - Resource Collectors

GreyFox said:
@chriseay: It is quite restrictive ... the keyword is "new". Cannot found new city unless it gain us new resources we don't currently have. Cannot declare war on AI unless the CIV control comenew resources we don't currently have. But its not as restrictive as VQ02 ... that is a relief :) We were hand-tied there by our own variant. :)

-

I realized that after thinking about it a bit, and reading through the thread more. That makes it very restrictive. It almost makes you want to have not so good cities (i.e., less resources) just so you can get more cities. Should be interesting to say the least (and I think to repeat myself ;)).

Ok, it looks like we're ready to start.

Just a couple of clarifications on the variant rules:

I decided to make things a little less restrictive: We do not "have" a resource unless it is hooked up, and shows in the city screen of a city. So, we can delay hooking up a resource if it is in our best interest.

1) We cannot found a new city unless it will give us access to new resource (in the fat cross) - we do not have to have it hooked up immediatly.

2) We do not trade away our resources. They are OURS!

3) If we see an AI has a resource we don't... will take it! We don't trade them gold for it, because they may cancel the deal. Identify the source, and TAKE it. This means WAR. Also, this is the only reason we would declare war on someone.
Once we have declared war on a rival, we can do whatever we want to them, until they do not have any resouces left that we want. The only rule is, we can only keep cities that would give us a new resource.

Game settings:
Leader Cyrus (Expansive, Creative) Starting techs: Agriculture and Hunting.
Prince level
Standard size Pangea map
All victory conditions enabled

I rolled 3 possible starts, and am posting the starting sceenshot from each. The group can decide which start we want to go with.

Start1:

Only one resource showing, corn. Maybe this is good for our variant?

Start2:

Ooh... stone! Also corn and bananas. Note, we won't be able to hook up bananas until calendar. Also a hut that we can pop right away!

Start3:

Hmmm... more corn. I guess we're destined to have this no matter what. Also sheep. Lots of little lakes and forests. Another hut that we can pop.

I'll begin as soon as we can decide on the start. We will all play 20 turns the first round, and then the normal 10 after that.

Also, the roster, so no one forgets:

player 1: Maquis --- Will start
player 2: Greyfox --- on deck
player 3: oldbustedjorn ---
player 4: eektor ---
player 5: sozopol ---

Alternate - (will join in when needed):

bobrath

oldbustedjorn said:
I personally don't care which start you all want to go with. Chriseay, did you want to play? If so, let me know - I don't have a problem being an alternate.

No thanks, I've got enough succession games going. Just started the second one of my own. I'll be lurking though, all the games in this series have been interesting so far, and you guys all seem to be able to keep the game moving. That is a very good thing. :goodjob:

@Greyfox: strange that you cannot see the first two screens. The first one has a river that we could settle near... the second one has two 1-tile lakes.

Personnaly, I would vote for #2, for the stone if anything. Might be nice to secure a couple wonders.

#1 looks like a very strong start, a nice mix of good yields, and also only the one resource, which is good for this variant. I also like #2, and agree about the stone/wonders (I personally love getting stone and going for wonders in any game). #3 is my least favorite.

Well it sounds to me like #2 might be the best choice... I think I will look to settle so that not all those resources are in our first city...

I might be too late, but my vote goes to start #2. We can't hook up the bananas so that wouldn't hurt us too much. Hopefully there is no more corn in our area. We might want to hook up stone first.

Well I took start #2. Here's what we found in the first 20 turns.

I decide to use up a turn or two, to move the settler closer to the stone. Wher it sits now, stone would not be in the fat cross.

Hut gives us another scout.

Spoiler :

Turn 0 (4000 BC)
Tribal village results: scout

Turn 1 (3960 BC)

Turn 2 (3920 BC)
Persepolis founded
Persepolis begins: Warrior

Turn 3 (3880 BC)
Research begun: Mysticism

Turn 4 (3840 BC)
Tribal village results: a little gold
Persepolis's borders expand

Turn 5 (3800 BC)

Turn 6 (3760 BC)
Scout defeats (0.52/1): Barbarian Lion

Turn 7 (3720 BC)

Turn 8 (3680 BC)

Turn 9 (3640 BC)
Tech learned: Mysticism

Turn 10 (3600 BC)
Research begun: Masonry
Persepolis grows: 2

Turn 11 (3560 BC)
Tribal village results: lots of gold

Turn 12 (3520 BC)
Persepolis finishes: Warrior

Turn 13 (3480 BC)
Persepolis begins: Worker

Turn 14 (3440 BC)
Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 15 (3400 BC)

Turn 16 (3360 BC)
Hinduism founded in a distant land
Warrior defeats (1.16/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 17 (3320 BC)
Scout defeats (0.84/1): Barbarian Lion

Turn 18 (3280 BC)
Tech learned: Masonry

Turn 19 (3240 BC)
Research begun: The Wheel

Turn 20 (3200 BC)

I built one warrior first in Persepolis, then started on a worker (not done yet.)

Researched Mysticism, then masonry, and started on the Wheel. (I wanted to be able to get everything to hook up the sone & use it for Stonehedge) We already have Agriculture, so we can hook up the corn right away.

With two scouts I was able to cover a decent amount of ground. Looks like we are in the southeast part of the landmass. Popped a couple more huts, but only got gold from them.

We have already met Roosevelt (he is NE of us), Tokagowa (N of us), Hatty (unknown whereabouts), and Cathy (Unknown whereabouts).

Here's our city:

We only have corn and stone in the first city. There are clams, bananas, and ivory to our noth. Should be a couple decent spots there for a city.

Here's the land I have scouted out so far:

We've got some room to our north, and there are resources to support our expansion.

Remember, we play 20 turns in the first round.

Here's the save:

Good start... So if we don't improve the resource - we can build a city elsewhere on the same resource?

That is correct. I relaxed that rule a little bit, because some people were :cry: a little too much. :lol:

:hmm: ... wonder who Maquis is pointing finger at ... :mischief: *fridgeting nervously*

Oh, by the way, Captain, you have not answered one of my variant questions:
GreyFox said:
how do we deal with barb city? Must we autoraze if it does not have new resources? Or we can attack and capture barb city at will?

-

Nothing happening much ... so a quick report:

Spoiler :

Turn 20 (3200 BC)
Scout loses to: Barbarian Lion (1.56/2)

Turn 21 (3160 BC)
Scout defeats (1.00/1): Barbarian Wolf

Turn 22 (3120 BC)
Scout promoted: Woodsman I

Turn 23 (3080 BC)
Tribal village results: a little gold

Turn 24 (3040 BC)
Persepolis finishes: Worker

Turn 25 (3000 BC)

Turn 26 (2960 BC)
Tech learned: The Wheel
Persepolis's borders expand
Contact made: Malinese Empire

Turn 27 (2920 BC)
Research begun: Animal Husbandry

Turn 28 (2880 BC)

Turn 29 (2840 BC)

Turn 30 (2800 BC)
Persepolis grows: 3

Turn 31 (2760 BC)
Warrior defeats (0.10/2): Barbarian Bear

Turn 32 (2720 BC)
Scout loses to: Barbarian Lion (0.24/2)

Turn 33 (2680 BC)

Turn 34 (2640 BC)

Turn 35 (2600 BC)

Turn 36 (2560 BC)
Warrior promoted: Combat I
Tech learned: Animal Husbandry

Turn 37 (2520 BC)
Research begun: Archery
Persepolis begins: Stonehenge

Turn 38 (2480 BC)
Persepolis grows: 4

Turn 39 (2440 BC)
Warrior defeats (1.72/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 40 (2400 BC)

The Annihilation of Scouts Troop

:aargh: I must have damned luck with scouting ...

obiturary said:
Turn 20 (3200 BC)
Scout loses to: Barbarian Lion (1.56/2)
Turn 32 (2720 BC)
Scout loses to: Barbarian Lion (0.24/2)

We Made Contact

First contact made with the Maliness.

State of known world:

Country Road, Take Me Home

No horses near us as far as I can remember ... one just SW of toku, one N of Roosy.

I get us started on archery and stonehedge, and this is our one-city empire:

Oh ... see the bear beneath the score? :lol: poor fellow, totally trapped by our culture ... too bad it aint polar bear, it can't swim! :rotfl::lol:

Resources Collection

• 1 Stone
  • 1 Corn

Finally, the save: (who's next?)

Good turns! Hopfully soon we can get some settlers going to :borg: some more resources.

Oh, the roster:

player 1: Maquis ---
player 2: Greyfox --- Just played
player 3: oldbustedjorn ---Up
player 4: eektor --- on deck
player 5: sozopol ---

Now that I think of it, I must be :smoke: going for animal husbandry and archery ... we have a worker already, I should have headed for Bronze Working ....

Up to oldbustedjorn whether to veto archery or not ... only 3 more turns, so its okay. But very soon, the worker will have nothing to do ...

-

Top Bottom