Wake, America

Sonereal

♫We got the guillotine♫
Supporter
INT. - "WHERE IS ARGENTINA?" THREAD - PAGE [REDACTED] - NIGHT

MECHAERIK
[Clicking from link to link on CFC]
This is pretty damn boring Sonereal. What am I even looking for?

SONEREAL
[looking at the screen over MECHAERIK's shoulder]
What do you see?

MECHAERIK
A bunch of video LPs. Why would anyone want to watch a Let's Play of a turn-based strategy game?

SONEREAL and MECHAERIK glance at the camera.

MECHAERIK
Forget I said anything.

SONEREAL
No, that was exactly what I kept asking myself. CivIV S&T had the greats like Philosopher...Kings? And Princes of the Universe. You know, stuff we talk about today as gold standards. CivV "S&T" forgot all about the T and replaced it with LP.

MECHAERIK
[MECHAERIK pushes his chair away from the monitor, stands up, and stretches.]
Yeah, all nice and good, but what do you want me to do about it?

SONEREAL
Remember Realpolitik?

MECHAERIK
UMM...​

Cut to: INT. - "Realpolitik CIV" Thread

LIGHTHEARTER
Welcome CFCers to a game I'm bringing over from Paradox! Anyone want in?
[crickets]
No takers?

WEST INDIA MAN
Sure, why not?​

Soon...

ARYA
OH GOD WHAT'S GOING ON?

ILDUCE
THE ROMANS ARE COMING! THEY'RE IN YORK! THE ROMANS ARE COMING! RUN AND HIDE.

RAVUS
Called it.

WHOSIT
Gentlemen. I have a plan. Just give me Emergency Powers.

ILDUCE
Giving you emergency powers wouldn't affect my plan to betray England, kidnap the Queen of Russia, and whisk her away to the Ukraine would it?
[beat]
I mean sure.

RAVUS
Called it.​

Cut Back

MECHAERIK
I distinctly remember we conquered the world. Anyway, what about it? There hasn't been a long-running RP in...you're not going to run an RP are you? I would play one if you start one, then forget about it for a few turns so you can NPC me.

SONEREAL
Of course not! Instead, how about you, me, and a bunch of the old crew head over to CivV S&T, take over America, and lead THAT country to glory in a totally scripted weekly series that won't have a reliable update schedule?

MECHAERIK
By all that is Saber, that is genius! You're so funny and intelligent and cool, Sonereal. Have my babies.​

INT. - NOVAIOT - EVENING

MECHAERIK
I wouldn't say that.

SONEREAL
Just roll with it for a second.

MOSHER
Can I get in on this story?

SONEREAL
UGH. Fine.​

INT. - "WHERE IS ARGENTINA?" THREAD - PAGE [REDACTED] - NIGHT

MOSHER
[crashes through window]
OMG I MADE IT BEFORE THE COLD OPENING END-​

CUT TO: OPENING SEQUENCE

Link to video.

A CoT Production:

WAKE, AMERICA

EPISODE 1X01: Redspy's Big Day Out

Written by: August Sonereal

ACT I​

[SCENE: Men, women, and children in primitive American garb are seen busily constructing a settlement. The settlement, of course, is made from mud given Americans can't chop down trees, work with stone, or do anything right in general. SONEREAL, MECHAERIK, MOSHER, and REDSPY are overseeing the construction of the city they will call "Washington".]

MOSHER
I'm going to have the name changed. I hope you know this.

MECHAERIK
Sabertopia!

REDSPY
Wascow!
[beat]
Sonereal, please stop writing Mech like an idiot.

SONEREAL (V.O.)
Fine, but only if you call the city Washington.

ACTUAL SONEREAL
What God!Son said.​

[An old man walks up to the arguing four.]

OLD MAN
My immortal lords above all, I bring good news.

MECHAERIK
[shoves SONEREAL. SONEREAL goes off-camera.]
YES my loyal subject whose very existence depends on my entertainment?

OLD MAN
[stammering]
T-t-the palace! The palace is finished!

REDSPY
The...palace?

MECHAERIK
Hue?

MOSHER
[Clears throat. The others main characters look menacingly at him.]
I mean, if we're going to play Civilization, we need to have a palace built. That's tradition.

SONEREAL
[Walks on camera with a coffee and doughnut]
Are you telling me you wasted precious little labor, food, tools, and materials to build a fancy home? Damn it, Mosher. Marble doesn't grow on-​

[CAMERA PANS TO SHOW MARBLE PALACE]

SONEREAL
...well.

MOSHER
The palace comes with the city, Son-kun.

SONEREAL
Oh God please don't call me that.

OLD MAN
Who is God?

MECHAERIK
[groans]
Uggggh. Now we need to have The Talk. Again. Whose turn is it?

MOSHER/SONEREAL
Red's

REDSPY
Son-screw you guys. This is the third time I've done it today.

OLD MAN
I can go-

REDSPY
No, no. Don't go. You'll start asking around and that'll lead to !!stupid!! so here we go.
[takes a deep breathe]
You will have the answers you seek once we build a shrine and accumulate faith points.

OLD MAN
What is a shrine, my Immortal Crystal Dragon Lord?

REDSPY
A building that generates faith points. We can't build it until we research Pottery.

OLD MAN
What is pottery?

MECHAERIK
[whispering to Mosher]
This man is the king of questions, amirit?

REDSPY
[speaking louder to block out MECHAERIK]
Well. Pottery is...a tech. A technology. We generate technology with-you know what, magic. Magic. Don't talk about this to anybody ever again. ROAR.

OLD MAN
[running and praying]
Sorry my lord! I know not what I do!

SONEREAL
I'm glad we got that worked out.

MECHAERIK
I don't play Civilization V so I'm wondering: Can cities defend themselves?

SONEREAL
Yes.

MECHAERIK
Then we should probably make those guys with the big muscles and bigger clubs over there go...somewhere else. Across the continent maybe?​

CAMERA CUTS TO GROUP OF STRONG, BURLY MEN

MOSHER
They also came with the city.

REDSPY
Having them around might not be conductive to our rule. Or our lives.

MECHAERIK
Agreed. That's why I propose you go with them.

REDSPY
What.

MECHAERIK
Well, you're smart. Smarter than all of us prolly. Those men over there just need some leadership, you know? We also already voted on this behind your back and the votes all went to you. Congratulations on your promotion.
[MECHAERIK, MOSHER, and SONEREAL salute REDSPY]

REDSPY
Guys, I'm being serious. There's no frakkin' way I can survive with those guys. Look at me! I'm American. Not CivV American either. Actual American. I don't do stuff like this.

SONEREAL
Think of it as a learning experience. Besides, we need screenshots. Now go on. Get!
[turns to camera]
I'm sure the fine audience wants something to look at, so here you go.
Spoiler DON'T CLICK. SPOILERS. :

ROLL: COMMERCIAL BREAK

RAVUS
Called it.​

[SCENE: A Brazilian-British Roman man is laying in a hammock. This witchcraft doesn't go unnoticed by the locals, who quickly gather around, wanting to know how he manages to sit in that thing. The man smiles.]

WEST INDIA MAN
My friends, the secret is three. All things, the world, the universe, and you three. Do you three?
[turns to the camera]
If you haven't already, please register at your local Church Militant Recruitment Station. When America needs you, it needs you bad. Stay thirsty my friends.
[drops the mic]

ROLL: ACT II

[ROLL MONTAGE REEL: REDSPY and the group of warriors are struggling to pull their way through a jungle. A large hand reaches for the leading warrior and snatches him, pulling him upwards off-camera into the jungle canopy overhead. REDSPY was walking behind the much larger and buff warrior. He looks up with disbelief, makes a hand motion, and the remaining warriors trek faster.

NEXT SCENE: REDSPY is conversing with the leader of a Korean warrior band. They're sitting around a fire just outside the treeline of a great jungle. The sun is setting on the horizon on camera, and the wide open grasslands ahead are in full sight. REDSPY says something Korean and all the Koreans laugh.

NEXT SCENE: A large, burly American warrior is miming bonking an enemy with his club. REDSPY clumsily tries to replicate the warrior's movement one-handed like him, but falls over. The warrior sighs, shakes his head, and mimes the action again using two hands. REDSPY successfully, if not slowly, manages to replicate the action. The American warrior gives him a thumbs up.

END MONTAGE - START NEXT SCENE]

EXT. - THE GREAT PLAINS - WEST OF CAHOKIA - NOON

[SCENE: The American party, well-rested and fed, continuing scouting the unknown world. One American frantically begins trying to get everybody's attention.]

AMERICAN WARRIOR #1
Do you all see what I see?!

AMERICAN WARRIOR #2
[holding hand above eyes to block sun]
What am I looking at?

AMERICAN WARRIOR #1
How can you now see it? Look at the hills my friends!​

[REDSPY, visibly stronger than before, stands by the warrior and looks at the horizon.]

REDSPY
I'd be damned. That's a settlement.

ALL WARRIORS
A settlement?/Could it be?/Are they Koreans too?/What should we do?

REDSPY
I think if we start now, we can reach the settlement before the sun falls below the horizon. I fear if we arrive late, they won't dare let us in. We need to move fast, because that river looks...deep. For Washington!

WARRIORS
For Washington!

REDSPY
[Aside]
I wonder what the others are up to.​

INT. - THE WHITE HOUSE - WASHINGTON - NOON

[SCENE: MOSHER, MECHAERIK, and SONEREAL are sitting around a table fashioned using fire-hardened mud that stands in stark contrast to the elegant construction around them.]

SONEREAL
The first meeting of the Washington Council has begun.

MOSHER
A tad formal, aren't we?

SONEREAL
Just a wee bit. The settlement is largely finished. There really isn't much to do.

MECHAERIK
The people are getting restless. I propose we institute a labor tax and start getting farms up and running.

MOSHER
We can't. Nothing but jungle and forest around here as far as the eye can see. We're lucky we have the river, but I don't think that'll be an acceptable food source in the long run.

SONEREAL
We could burn away the jungle and forests.

MOSHER
Can't. We haven't research fire.

MECHAERIK
Fire making is a technology? I didn't know CivV had a Caveman2Cosmos mod.
[beat]
Or a modding community.

SONEREAL
There's no way to cut down the forest until we research mining, and we can't research mining until we research pottery.
[MECHAERIK and MOSHER give SONEREAL quizzical looks]
I'm beelining a religion.

MOSHER
Oh my yes. The choice between being a starving Christian or a living...whatever these people are. Such a difficult decision.

MECHAERIK
Pottery isn't even a pre-req for Mining. Duhhell are you doing Sonereal?
[beat]
Who put you in charge of Science?

SONEREAL
I don't need to take this. I was appointed by a council of my peers.

MOSHER
We're a council of your peers, and I sure as hell didn't sign off on that.

MECHAERIK
[looking out window]
I know I didn't sign off on that either. What are those people doing?​

[MOSHER and MECHAERIK stand up and look out the non-window. The villagers are making a monument of something.]

SONEREAL
I'm not the best leader in the world.

MOSHER
I want to know why we're using a mud table while our woodworkers are making a status of...oh science what is that?

MECHAERIK
That, Mosher, is a joke only four people will get.

MOSHER
Okay, that's it, we're delegating tasks.

SONEREAL/MECHAERIK
UGGGGH.

MOSHER
I'm going to oversee construction here in Washington. Mech, you should take over for science.

MECHAERIK
Can do.

SONEREAL
And me?

MOSHER
You can oversee the army.

SONEREAL
We don't have an army.

MOSHER
I know, isn't it grand?

MECHAERIK
Who needs an army when the city can defend itself? Hell, the city already knows archery!​

[FADE TO BLACK]

EXT. - GUARD POST - CAHOKIA - LATE AFTERNOON

[CAMERA IS FOCUSED ON REDSPY'S RED FACE.]

REDSPY
This went well.​

[Camera pulls back and turns, revealing that REDSPY and the Americans are hanging upside down from the guard tower by their legs. A Cahokian warrior with one eye is standing in front of REDSPY with his arms crossed.]

CAHOKIAN COMMANDER
What is the Bone King planning?

REDSPY
For the ninth time this afternoon, I don't know who the fraking hell the Bone King is.​

[The CAHOKIAN COMMANDER turns to a warrior in front of one of the upside down Americans next to REDSPY and nods. The warrior punches the American square in the gut.]

CAHOKIAN COMMANDER
I will get the information I seek, Bone Agents. If you wish to live, I suggest you tell me what I want to know.

REDSPY
What do you want to know?

CAHOKIAN COMMANDER
What is the Bone King planning?

REDSPY
I don't know who the Bone King is. We are Americans from the jungles in the west, downriver from here. Or upriver. I wasn't paying attention because you were BEATING ME INTO THE GROUND.​

[FLASHBACK to Cahokians attacking the Americans, and REDSPY being stomped into the ground by Cahokian warriors.]

CAHOKIAN COMMANDER
Only an agent of the Bone King would say he doesn't work for the Bone King

AMERICAN WARRIOR #2
Do you work for the Bone King?​

[Cahokian punches AMERICAN WARRIOR #2 in the gut again.]

???
That'll be enough. These idiots clearly aren't from around here. Cut them down. Bring their leader to my hut when you're done.

CAHOKIAN COMMANDER
[goes to attention]
AT ONCE!
[to soldiers]
Cut them down as the Chief's Son commands!​

[As the scene fades into the commercial, the Cahokians rapidly, and orderly, cut down the Americans.]

ROLL: COMMERCIAL BRE-

SONEREAL
sry bby 4got screencaps here u go xoxoxoxo <3 ponies.
Spoiler THE HORROR. THE HORROR :
http://imgur.com/gZRWphL,rF50QGT
(Hurr)

As a third-generation immigrant from the US to Argentina, I shed a tear every time I see the Argentine Battle Flag. My father fought and bled for that flag on the Islas Malvinas during the Third World War in the late-60's.

[Manly tear]

I'll be following this.

You can skip the second episode. I heard it's going to be a clip show.

I sense this is going to be epic. Epic like Churchill. I leave it up to you to decide if it will be Gallipoli Churchill or WWII Churchill.

ACT II is up.

I sense this is going to be epic. Epic like Churchill. I leave it up to you to decide if it will be Gallipoli Churchill or WWII Churchill.

Why not both?

Well, This has unique written all over it.

Famous last words.

Top Bottom