Want to learn new language...Any tips?

Yaype

Me
I am in a situation where I have a lot of time on my hands for the next several months, and I want to make sure I stay busy (and not just playing Civ). So I have decided I would like to learn another language. I'm already fluent in English (obviously) and Spanish, and I am trying to decide what language to add to that and how to go about doing so.

So, basically, does anybody have any tips--i.e. superior products, cheap ways to get said products, etc.? Also, I'm trying to decide between French, Italian, and German (I decided Russian would just be too difficult with a different alphabet and all). If you have a say for a certain language, do share it.

French:

French movies are great (no offense to german or italian people out there)

Being able to speak French is "classy" and makes you seem smart/worldly

If you go to France and speak French, everyone is so much nicer to you.

France has tons of cool places/things to visit/drink/eat.

You can go to the former French colonies as well (Canada, Algeria, etc.)

However, most of all I would reccomend Latin. I take it in school and it allows you to properly understand English as well as the rest of the romance languages. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you're fluent in Spanish and English.

I hate French! :D

I want to learn Russian, Swedish and Latin.

I want to learn Russian, Swedish and Latin. Doubt

I want to learn Russian, Swedish and Latin. Doubt I will achieve a good understand of all three though :(

What the blazes is wrong with this forum?! :eek:

Earlier today I had a post that wrecked the thread. Nobody can post in it now! Bah...

Earlier today I have replied to threads and the post never appeared! Bah...

Now look. My post submitted half finished ... :hmm: ... and when I "edit" it to correct, I get a whole new post instead! :mad:

Bah! This script is falling apart like a soggy biscuit.

Pour qoi? Le Francais est facile! Vous pouvez appeler des gens "******" pour est tardif! C'est une tres bonne raison pourquoi vous ne devez pas être en ******.

Damn my French sucks...

Eh, monsieur, je... uh... attempter a... uh... étudions Francais, mais, je ne tres bon. C'est tres difficile.

If you don't want Russian, you may want to try some other Slavic language, cause they're all practically the same.

Time to be random and type: Swahili!!!

And I speak English, and Enlish only. I am far too lazy to learn another language. I find most other languages dead boring (no offense . . . ), but I have always found Swahili neat. Gee, I wish I had that kinda time on my hands . . .

Originally posted by Yaype
So, basically, does anybody have any tips--i.e. superior products, cheap ways to get said products, etc.? Also, I'm trying to decide between French, Italian, and German (I decided Russian would just be too difficult with a different alphabet and all). If you have a say for a certain language, do share it.

Go for German. It (supposedly) isn't that tough to learn for a native English speaker. Knowing German will also help you when you get to graduate school in the maths and sciences, and most of your textbooks are written in German.

It will also help you if you visit Germany, or want to read Der Spiegel, or watch a German TV show.

There's also plenty of small towns here in Texas where most of the locals speak German.

I suggest you start singing in the language.

how about you learn italian? That is a very small step from Spanish! Thus, you quickly learn another language, and then you can go on and maybe learn another if you have time....

French. It's better. And it's just so complicated that you have a particular feeling of accomplishment when you finally are able to say anything in it correctly :D

I'd forget about French and learn Arabic instead. Personally I'm going to try and learn Spanish. I've heard it's really easy to learn.

East Asian languages are fun but are difficult for Westerners to learn...

Of them, I would know the most French. It's a pretty cool language, but you'll probably find yourself not being as aggressive about it as you should if you're not really enthusiastic.

Originally posted by Yaype
I am in a situation where I have a lot of time on my hands for the next several months, and I want to make sure I stay busy (and not just playing Civ). So I have decided I would like to learn another language. I'm already fluent in English (obviously) and Spanish, and I am trying to decide what language to add to that and how to go about doing so.

My first language (native) is Russian , so I can't tell for sure , but as far as I know Russian is very difficult language , verbs will drive you mad .

I'd recommend you French from those 3 languages you've mentioned . French is sounding good ( to my taste ) and pretty close to English .
Also you can try something I've done learning English . I just read very interesting books with vocabulary , like S.King "Misery" ( book has to be VERY interesting so checking every second in vocabulary doesn't seem tiresome ) . At first I read easy books , for children :) and then , when basics were learned , more complicated ones .

Originally posted by ShiplordAtvar

There's also plenty of small towns here in Texas where most of the locals speak German.

really? thought the last native german speakers in the US where in Pennsylvania?

Top Bottom