Want to learn new language...Any tips?

Italian. It's the easiest, and closest to Spanish.

If not Italian, then German - as it just sounds so cool.

French is good if you want to learn in France - which is always a good option since the universities are free. :D

Originally posted by SanPellegrino

really? thought the last native german speakers in the US where in Pennsylvania?

Actually, the Germans in Texas were a rather powerful group, especially during WWI. However, once the Zimmerman Note was revealed by the British (probably a fake to garner support for the Allies) -- it was supposedly a note from Germany to Mexico suggesting that Germany attack the US and Mexico invade Texas and New Mexico and the like -- the pro-Central Powers lobby became almost nonexistant.

Rosetta Stone software. Its what the US State Department uses to teach its diplomats and overseas staff. Its expensive, but you won't get any better software than that. Figure $300 dollars per language.

As far as language goes, I'm Italian, so I am partial. I've taken German, its not easy. Not a very pretty language, either (I'm 1/4 German, so I don't want to here anything about being anti-German!).

Is the Rosetta Stone software really worth the investment? That is what I have been looking at, and I just wanted to know if paying up to $300 for two editions would really be worth it.

If you wanna go cheap, go take a class or something...Flash cards help too.:)

Wow! Stormbind, our tastes seem to coincide - I'd love to learn Latin and Swedish as well.

The difference is I'm quite good at Russian already :p

Btw, I've got some comrades who say that Latin helps to understand the majority of the European languages, makes you look at them from another point of view - so they say it's quite useful to learn this language.

Originally posted by Bifrost
Btw, I've got some comrades who say that Latin helps to understand the majority of the European languages, makes you look at them from another point of view - so they say it's quite useful to learn this language.

of course, italian, spanish, french and portuguese (called romanic languages for a reason) directly derive from Latin and English has a good part through the (french speaking) Normans too.

Originally posted by Yaype
Is the Rosetta Stone software really worth the investment? That is what I have been looking at, and I just wanted to know if paying up to $300 for two editions would really be worth it.

Pssst, I know some programs you can use to download Rosseta Stone software without paying 300 dollars :eek:

You didn't get this from me, (use your mule) ;)

Mule?

Originally posted by Yaype
Mule?

a file-sharing software, similar to Kazaa I guess, probably more known in Europe

Originally posted by IceBlaZe
Italian. It's the easiest, and closest to Spanish.

If not Italian, then German - as it just sounds so cool.

Definetly!
:goodjob:

I agree 100%. La lingua d'italia e la lingua d'amore.

Italy is great, and it's food is the best in the world. Contrary to what others have said, knowing French doesn't make you sound worldly or more intelligent. Trust me, that isn't the case.

German is also really cool, and you sound so industrious when speaking it. Thos two are what I would suggest.

I say Latin is the best of all of them! And if you plan to learn more than one of those, Latin will help!:goodjob:

Go with Russian. Russian is not very dificult, and the alphabet is easy to memorize since each letter has always the same sound with few variations. leha is right about the verbs, because they can be a lot confusing.

Well, you could try your hand at the only eastern Romance language - Romanian ;)

persoanally, as far as languages I would like to leard would be are- Latin, Greek, (ancient) Egyptian, possiblly Punic, and ofcourse, the master of languages, second only to latin, the mighty Yiddish language ;) :D

Originally posted by Aphex_Twin
Well, you could try your hand at the only eastern Romance language - Romanian ;)

There are others -- they're just extinct.

Originally posted by Bifrost
Anyway, learn Russian, it might be useful in nearer future ;)

Why would russian be useful in the near future?

Top Bottom