War Weariness and Captured Cities

lunker

Warlord
Not sure how others feel about this but I'd like to see war weariness reduced for losing recently captured cities. There are times when I wish to weaken a city by capturing and then leaving. For me this counts as a victory, but suddenly my war weariness shoots up as if I had suffered a great defeat.

I think hit-and-run tactics should be allowed as it offers more interesting gameplay. As it is, capturing a city and fleeing will only wind up hurting yourself despite the resources it takes to do so.

What do you guys think of this?

Not sure how others feel about this but I'd like to see war weariness reduced for losing recently captured cities. There are times when I wish to weaken a city by capturing and then leaving. For me this counts as a victory, but suddenly my war weariness shoots up as if I had suffered a great defeat.

I think hit-and-run tactics should be allowed as it offers more interesting gameplay. As it is, capturing a city and fleeing will only wind up hurting yourself despite the resources it takes to do so.

What do you guys think of this?

Gamey. AI won't know how to do it either. Don't take a city if you don't want the consequences.

G

I ran into this sort of situation in my current game. I took an Assyrian city that I began razing and a few turns later an Ottoman naval fleet popped over and took it from me (I was at war with both). I ended up with war weariness even though I hadn't really lost much and in my mind the war was going pretty decently and I would soon retake that city from the Ottomans. It kinda bugged me at first, but thinking about it now- war weariness isn't just capturing how well a war is going in a macro sense. It could also be capturing the effects of troop morale. Even though to me losing that city was no big deal considering I was razing it anyway, from my troop's perspective they fought for that prize only to have it taken away making their sacrifices lose meaning. Totally reasonable that my soldiers/citizens would be demoralized and suffer war weariness as a result.

If you think of war weariness as your citizen's opinion on the war rather than a measure of how well the war is going in your mind as the leader it makes these types of situations totally understandable.

Top Bottom