1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Warlords][Mod] Kets Composite Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Ket, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ACEofHeart

ACEofHeart Chieftain

Great mod ...!!!
    Having just one problem..,,when a new Civic is available after a research,,the pop-up description asking if you want to implement it is messed.. ,, it gives a ***_txt_ missing type message..
    If this has been mention before I apologize.. :)

2. Ket

Ket Composite Of A Composite

Thank you Ace
    Will try to get that fixed in .4

.4 Is stacking up to be the Mother of all Updates

Still working on the buildings, then units, then I need to re-balance the tech tree tech costs. Fix M.A.D. which currently has a nasty crash in it, implement unit statistics.

I am still debating a few things for .4 one of which is the M.A.D. functionality that Nukes will completely destroy a city, In vanilla nukes are seriously under powered and this makes them VERY deadly. This option can be disabled, what I suggested to TheLopez is to have a new unit class so that we could have Large City Killers (100MegaTon/Mirv's the insane stuff that just takes a city and creates nothing but a crater) and then smaller warheads (regional weapons like what India/Pakistan currently use, bomber based and Sub Launched missiles) these would follow the original code (slightly tweaked to make them more effective) as it is right now its an all or nothing thing, I either follow his code and destroy the city or the Firaxis code... Now I grew up in the 80's the threat of nuclear war was very real. Regan was one step away from launching and the soviets knew it, the fear of M.A.D. was real.

I dont know if any of you remember the old game Balance Of Power. It was a geopolitical simulation and when you did something the other side did not like (it was soviet vs us) they issued a threat, and the defcon level when up
    Depending on how important it was to them and you you escalated the defcon level until someone backed down. The game ended if anyone hit Defcon 1 both sides lost with a little message saying essentially "There are no winners in global thermonuclear wear"

Chris Crawford ranks up there in legendary game designers with Sid

This was the 80's, this was the period of star wars this was the period of M.A.D. and this is what brought about the changes to the Soviets that where so profound today. The end of Communism or so they say. To any teenager and I assume young adult growing up in that day, these things where very much on our minds at least in the states. The threat of global nuclear war was scary as hell and very real. Our our culture never thought we would see the year 2000.

1984 The Journal Of Atomic Scientists the creator of the famed doomsday clock set the clock to 3 minutes to midnight
    (currently the clock is 7 minutes and has not changed since 2002)

1991 - United States and Soviet Union sign the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty. Clock changed to seventeen minutes to midnight (seven minutes farther, its greatest distance from midnight so far).

The 80's where scary. Nukes where scary and Both sides where willing to push the button if they needed to. Was it a bluff? Who knows I assume it had to be the worlds largest bluff if so... Both sides had to convince the other that they where willing to press the button. Else the "Cold War" could not have been won....

That being said, if I go and use the original code, I would make bunkers a bit less effective and SDI only 50% with nukes being so deadly bunkers are useless (the city is toast) and SDI should be more effective (and cost a bit more possibly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock

3. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

hey ket :)

im almost finished with my warlords v,

once im done - your next! mohahaha.....

4. Ket

And think between this and some of my last few posts you will see what you have to look forward to in .4

I am just now starting to drop in the units for the new unit class's and have a few flavor ones to add just for the hell of it. (The new Bismark model is yummy!)
    Then we fix civics, Merge Unit Statics In, See if I left out something on the .DLL breaking MAD, recompile the DLL for all the new combat features with aircraft/intercept and .4 should be ready.... Although .4 is so large I should make it .5 :)

- Nuclear Manager Advisor Screen Acessed by pressing ALT-N after Strategic Air Command Is Built
    - Nukes WILL DESTROY A CITY
    - Whale Gives +1G
    - Castle With Construction
    - Dry Docks With Engineering
    - Laboratories with Electricity
    - Radio Towers with Radio
    - Market -1 Health
    - Spy & Scotland Yard available with Espionage
    - GREAT LIBRARY with ALPHABET
    - UN @ Fission (Does this cause diplo or back door diplo to come to early?)
    - Reworked Tech Tree
    - First civ to tech Computers gets the free engineer now, rather than that happening at fusion.
    - First To Fission Gets an ICBM (Good God!) (Note Right Now ICBM's Will DESTROY Cities due to MAD
    Being In Place I'm have plans to create a smaller Nuke that does not follow the MAD settings and
    they will get that nuke)
    - 20 Unique Names For Praetorian's
    - Warriors Upgrade To Sword, Axe, Spear, Archer Or Chariot
    - Citadel To 75%
    - Space Elevator with Space Expoloration GPP Changed To Engineer +1 Happy
    - Drydock @ Construction
    - Cothon Trade Bonus to 100%
    - Airport @ Radar (flight was moved forward and is still a pre-req)
    - Nukeplant @ Nuke Power
    - Labratory @ Electricity
    - Russian Research Instatute @ Electricity
    - Great Lighthouse Requires Masonry But Stays @ Sailing
    - Colosus Obsolete @ Gunpowder 1550-1650 Early Renisance
    - Angkor Wat Obsolete @ Semiconductors
    - Kremlin Does Not Obsolete
    - Eifel Tower Now Gives +100% Culture In City
    - Statue Of Liberty Must Be Built On Water
    - 3 Gorges Damn Faster with Stone
    - Added Wonder The Mausoleum of Mausollos
    - Added Building Fussion Plant
    - Add Unit Class Mark V
    - Add Unit Class Mechinized Artilery
    - Add Unit Class Flak Cannon
    - Add Unit Class Sam Battery
    - Add Unit Class Ageis Cruiser
    - Add Unit Class Attack Sub
    - Add Unit Class Nuke Sub
    - Add Unit Class Nuclear Carrier
    - Add Unit Class Bi-Plane
    - Add Unit Class Modern Fighter
    - Add Unit Class Assualt Fighter
    - Add Unit Class Zeppelin
    - Add Unit Class Heavy Bomber

5. KhandaharKopper

KhandaharKopper Chieftain

Hello Ket, I was playing last night and I can confirm the barter and ecclesiatic civics seem to be missing their text. Also the great wall doesn't cover my borders when built, this is assuming that to count the cities must be connected either by roads or waterways and the limit of your borders being the spread of cultural influence. When it was built it surrounded the city that built the wonder and my capital, it could be a fluke but the city that built the wonder was also the first city to "connect" to my capital. Hope this is of use!
    Cheers!
    Andrew.:goodjob:

6. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

I played this MOD all the way and it trully started to annoy me after 40% of the game play. Mostly cuz of the border spreading.

The idea is good at the beginning of the game so Europe wont get sqized in, but after a while when the cities basically “never” grow over 2 steps its get irritating like a monkey in your pants.

Most of the civs never got their resources that was just outside their borders… and oh my god with the gaps between cities, and in modern time the AI tried to sqieze in cities everywhere in the whole word. It got messy and I didn’t see any major war, mostly because no one had to fight for land.

Plz take that culture border mod component away from this mod.

Or make the border grow +3 times when you hit classical era or something...

7. Ket

@KhandaharKopper
    *I Think* This is a bug with The Great Wall depending on the lay of the land depends on how it seems to work, I've seen it do some very weird things. Got the text problem fixed in my side waiting for me to finish off .4

I went into world builder and I checked out a few things, if they cities culture does not touch then the great wall will not cover that area so if its built in an isolated city it might do weird things. Also some terrain seems to block it but mostly when it comes close to water.

The effect though is your cultural borders so as your empire grows even though the graphic does not change the effect stretches its borders. Can you send a screen shot so I can get a better idea of whats wrong.

@Saint
    Most of the mod's have .ini files where you can enable and disable most of the features. I've never had any issues with this but then again I tend to in my test games play culture heavy. Anyway, Since each person likes different things and plays a different way I find this approach to be best. In time we will have an Options screen in game. Until then Just open up
    Cultural Influences Config.ini which is in the Mods main directory with notepad
    and change "Enable Slow Culture Borders = true"
    Just change the true to false save the file and your all set.

For the record, I prefer the slower progression and I have not seen large gaps myself. As far as AI wars... Borders should still be growing in my last Euro 23 game as France, I just about flipped England, Spain and Germany before I got around to invading them (this was around 300ad) to bad you can't flip capitols eh? None the less having the north sea as a French lake was interesting.

Attached Files:

8. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

OK, thx for the tip Ket with the ini-file. I'll try that.

Here are some screen shots of my game. Everyone except few civilizations have been in modern era for a long time now. And u can see the date your self.

9. KhandaharKopper

KhandaharKopper Chieftain

I remember in a vanilla Warlords the wall did cover the borders correctly, the borders of each city were touching or overlapped so what you write makes perfect sense. On the screenshot, my games have all been test games to put your mod through a shakedown cruise so to speak so I don,t save them to replay, sorry!
    Cheers!
    Andrew.:goodjob: :sad:

10. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

i couldnt send you in pm the files so

here it is

Attached Files:

11. Ket

Ok something does look wrong there. Those are some fairly large cities they should have bordered out past that. Gonna have to take a look at it, as that seems like a bug to me.

12. Ket

Wow I cant type a response, ok it looks like the culture border caps out let me see if thats intended.

Ok culture is a bit broken, turning the setting off wont help. What is happening is the curve is sporked

@ max culture you should go out 6 up and 6 down in tiles something is preventing some of that growth and most likely its an SDK issue not a python issue. Checking into the code now to see if I killed something. Will release a fix as soon as I can.

(B.T.W. I tested by creating a MESS of Artists in Would Builder) I then tried with the .ini setting on and off and saw no difference other than faster to reach the cap, then I tried in Vanilla Warlords and noticed a different spread. I guess what I should test next is a mod that I know the code works and has Cultural Influence included. Just to make sure, its not working as designed.)

13. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

I'm sorry, dont know what you are trying to say :)

But its good to know that this might be a bug cuz overall i liked the mod. If you need the save file of mine, pm me your email so i can send it to you, or tell me any other way that i can give it to you. The save file is over 1,5 mb so i cant attach it in the post on this forum.

14. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

Oh, u posted just before me... ok, now i understand.

15. Ket

Ok Its confirmed its an actual bug. I tested under mongoose and it works fine. I must have killed something in the .3 compile....

Don't need a save. Its good that we find these things prior to a 1.0 release :)

I'll post a fix as soon as I can

Good find!

16. mice

mice Moose

Ket, thanks for the mod so far. I like it a lot. But... I would like to move cottages back to pottery. I cant find cottages in 'buildinginfos' . Are they in there somewhere?

17. rockinroger

rockinroger WoC Team Member

@ ket, played the 24 civ map, looks good. Im currently playing as the carathagians. The carthage war elephants seem to be under powered. i was attacking mansa musa. he had 3 skirmishers in city, no defense %. 2 of the war elephants were killed b4 i switched to catapults to weaken the skirmishers. i had just gotten construction so should of been a little stronger. one of the war elephants to die was a great general leader. It just seemed a little weak for them. ive been choosing carthage specifically for the war elephants of late. Which is why they seem weak compared to others. just my 2 cents worth. keep up the good work!!

18. Eusebius

Eusebius Chieftain

Ket, this looks really great.

As you contemplate merging in my mod, I can tell you some things that would improve it that you may have the skills to do. (I see that you are doing SDK mods, which I haven't tried yet.)
    • A Python function that would add a diplomacy modifier and a comment as to why the modifier is there. This would be a big improvement over my current use of AI_setAttitudeExtra.
    • A GameUtils function that gets called when a civ converts to a religion.
    Looking forward to trying this,
    Eusebius

19. Ket

Skirmisher's and Elephants have not been modified at the .3 release the only unit changes where cosmetic, we added all those flavor units and they are just that, different graphics for the same unit (check the pedia it has like 6 archers well there all the same stats just different graphics) .4 has the new units but the original units have not been modified in any way, its one of my design goals is not to re-balance what already works as to your specific problem...

Skirm's get 50% bonus defending cities and 25% bonus on hills.
    Assuming that City is not a hill thats still a 6 Strength Unit with 1-2 First strikes unprompted and we all know the AI never has unprompted units

Carthage's real UU is the Numiden Cavalry which has a list of bonus's that normal horsemen of that period do not get. The Carthage War Elephants are normal war elephants re-skinned (This is not changed from Vanilla I just added a new graphic to the unit they already get. To control who gets what looking unit you mark it as a civ specific unit)

Ok so back to the combat in question
    8 Attack Vs 6+ Defense with 1-2 First Strikes, (since first strikes are a bit more deadly in my game as I applied a FIX to the first strike logic that Faraxis will be releasing in a patch... Its Lunar Mongoose's work and he reported the bug and they are even using his code to fix it. It was supposed to be in Warlorids but it did not make it in in time... In Vanilla the random number is one off of what it should be so i unit that gets 0-2 first strikes only randomizes between 0-1 its hard to explain but i'll try.)

GetSorenRand(5) will return

So a unit with 1-5 first strikes only has a possibility of getting 4 at best of them, with the fix in place it actualy checks for
    GetSorenRand(6)

As it should

Anyway back to that city, yea its gonna be a ***** to take, bring cat's
    You can check the combat odd's with a right click on the target

Generals die a lot, there was a thread on the warlords forums about this (look for bad generals) nothing we can do there.

Glad your enjoying it.

20. Ket

The place to set what a worker can build is under assets/xml/units
    CIV4BuildInfos.xml