[We the People] Bug reporting

@bogwart
I fixed your savegame and attached an unpaused version of it. Now you can continue to play.

I still have no idea how you managed to pause your game and I haven't found any way to pause or unpause as a player. I have however figured out how to do it from the code and I hacked the DLL to automatically unpause on load. I need to figure out a more permanent solution though, one where people wouldn't have to get outside help to fix the savegame.

Attachments

• William2824 War4-fixed.ColonizationSave
    776.1 KB · Views: 29
Edit:
I was wrong. See below.
This game actually has a "Pause"... :undecide:

Spoiler :
I haven't found any way to pause or unpause as a player ...
Because there would be absolutely no point in it.
There is no such thing as a "Pause" in Civ4Col. :confused:
A turn based game does not need that.

Ah ok, I get it, why this game has a "Pause" key: It is for Multiplayer games.
(It is then blinking at the lower edge: "Game Pause by Ray".)

Also explains why I did not even know it existed.
(It is useless in Singleplayer because "Esc" basically has the same result there.)

---

Last edited:
Thanks NG for fixing the game :) !, but eventually this
It also raises the question how did you manage to pause the game?
gave me an idea what had been wrong with the savegame:
It seems I accidentally pushed the Pause key on my keyboard...so it's just my fault...no bug at all...sorry for all this mess :cry:
After pressing Pause again, it works as usual :blush:
I often use the 'Insert' key on my keyboard to look into colonies, and 'Pause' is just underneath, so that way it might happened.
It's awkard though that the 'Pause' state is saved in the savegame.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a "Pause" in Civ4Col. :confused:
A turn based game does not need that.
In multiplayer it is possible to set a time limit for each turn, like you will be forced to end turn after 5 or 10 minutes. This cuts down the risk of waiting time for other players. Pause is then pausing the game and that timer.

I suppose it would make sense to mod CvGame::setPausePlayer to always set the pause player to NO_PLAYER (no pause) unless CvGame::isGameMultiPlayer() is true.

It seems I accidentally pushed the Pause key on my keyboard...so it's just my fault...no bug at all...sorry for all this mess :cry:
After pressing Pause again, it works as usual :blush:
If the pause button allows you to unpause, why didn't that approach work for me? :think:
Maybe the game hates my keyboard.

If the pause button allows you to unpause, why didn't that approach work for me? :think:
I tried "Pause" / "Unpause" when I read and realized it actually exists. :mischief:
Works perfectly on my keyboard. Definitely no bug there. :)

Hi! i noticed two things in latest test release (2.8.2.4, I think it is, I am sorry but I cannot find the discussion where I got the link).

1. Galleon gets a max of 2 XP when killing wild sea animals. After that you can continue killing a no XP is granted. Is this as expected? Should it happen with Sloop for example? and land units like scouts or soldiers?

2. I noticed that an escaped african slave with guns (I do not know if that is new) is killed when attacked instead of being re-captured. Also, I am playing in Spanish, and it is called "esclavo repugnante africano", what it can be translated as "really disgusting african slave".. it sounds really bad!

Also, let me congrate you all for the amazing work you do. The next release will be excellent. It is great already (I play single player so I am not suffering any disconnection trouble others are), and the features that will be merged seem amazing to.
Thanks!

... 2 XP when killing wild sea animals. ... Is this as expected?
Yes, that was implemented purposely by @devolution to prevent exploiting farming XP from animals.
It is also not new with 2.8.2.x - I think it was added by 2.8 already.

You can change the amount of that in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml:
<DefineName>ANIMAL_MAX_XP_VALUE</DefineName>

In my private version I usually set it to 10 myeself
(It may be exploiting but I like it the old way.)

I noticed that an escaped african slave with guns --- is killed when attacked instead of being re-captured.
He is not escaping, he is revolting and yes, that is also working as designed.
Escaping Slaves can be recaptured again, Revoluting Slaves can not.

Also, let me congrate you all for the amazing work you do.
Thanks. :)

You can change the amount of that in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml:
<DefineName>ANIMAL_MAX_XP_VALUE</DefineName>

In my private version I usually set it to 10 myeself
(It may be exploiting but I like it the old way.)

thanks! I like it that way too.

Another bug I have been seeing a lot is that trying to load any autosave in gameplay will crash the game to the Windows desktop. It happens every time, in two different computers. Are you also aware of that?

It happens every time, in two different computers.
In all my recent tests with the new version, all Autosaves have worked perfectly. :dunno:
Autosaves techically are no different than "normal saves" to my knowledge.

@Nightinggale
Could this be related though to the issues we had with the "New Savegame Format"?
(Although as you said, they were only related to loading saves after changes in the mod.)

Another bug I have been seeing a lot is that trying to load any autosave in gameplay will crash the game to the Windows desktop. It happens every time, in two different computers. Are you also aware of that?
Would you mind sharing such a savegame? Autosave is supposed to work just fine and right now I can't even think of a reason why autosave fails if normal savegames doesn't. They use the same code.

@Nightinggale
Could this be related though to the issues we had with the "New Savegame Format"?
(Although as you said, they were only related to loading saves after changes in the mod.)
Very unlikely. From what I can tell the new savegame format is working fine. The problem is that the exe is apparently doing something to units right after load and that "something" crashes if the number of units changed in xml.

If nobody change the xml, then there are no known way to break savegames.

2. I noticed that an escaped african slave with guns (I do not know if that is new) is killed when attacked instead of being re-captured. Also, I am playing in Spanish, and it is called "esclavo repugnante africano", what it can be translated as "really disgusting african slave".. it sounds really bad!

I changed "repugnante" to "rebelde" in UnitClassInfo text. I don't speak Spanish but according to DeepL that's closer to the intended meaning. I'll watch for the word in other text files. You're right. It does sound really bad.

In the long view Nightinggale says Spanish is getting its own text file which is good because I believe it's now the most widely spoken language in the world. We've had a couple of people who were thinking about doing a total Spanish rewrite but I don't think they really got started.

It's a very big job, as I know from doing the English. The reward is that the characters come to life and the story no longer has unintended distractions, like the one you pointed out.

I saw in earlier posts, that people complained about wagon trains not moving when automated. In my first game (2.8.2.4) same thing happened. Played TAC and RaR, and havent had that problem. Is there a solution?

yes, mentally change the import and export input fields. should work. in a future release, this problem is not, because the import / export screen has changed there.

I changed "repugnante" to "rebelde" in UnitClassInfo text. I don't speak Spanish but according to DeepL that's closer to the intended meaning. I'll watch for the word in other text files. You're right. It does sound really bad.

In the long view Nightinggale says Spanish is getting its own text file which is good because I believe it's now the most widely spoken language in the world. We've had a couple of people who were thinking about doing a total Spanish rewrite but I don't think they really got started.

It's a very big job, as I know from doing the English. The reward is that the characters come to life and the story no longer has unintended distractions, like the one you pointed out.

Hi Kendon. I am a Spanish native, let me know if you need help with any other specific thing. 'Rebelde' sounds better, definitely not offensive, and more accurate. In English that is plainly 'rebel'. It could also be 'Insurrecto', although Rebelde fits fine.
I tried in the past to make a rewrite of the Spanish text but I never could advance more than on half of the bigger text files. I have not the time and then the releases were a bit often and I did not know how to merge my work with the new files. Now I could have more knowledge, but those files are missing in some missing laptop. But I least I can help with some specific text if required from time to time.

Regarding the crashing autosaves, it used to happen a lot for a few days, and now without anything having changed it stop. Maybe it was environmental. I will upload something if it starts happening again.

Thanks for quick answers!

Top Bottom