Wfyabta

Also, strategy-wise, this means you want to trade with the tightwads like HC before you trade with Mansa.

That's the obvious implication. For example, if you trade with Mansa first, you will have passed everyone else's WFYBTA limit before you trade with them. But if you trade all the others up to their limit and THEN go to Mansa, he'll still trade (assuming all other conditions for trading are met).:goodjob:

I remember reading somewhere that tech trades initiated by the AI towards the human player don't count towards the human's WFYABTA counter. Is that true?

If 2 civs trade with each other, does it matter who initiated the trade, or do they both get WFYABTA from all civs they know?

All that matters is that you receive a technology, it does not matter why (gift, demand, mutual trade). There is no concept of "trade initiation" for the purposes of WFYABTA (nor for any other purpose that I know of).

I read that multiple times too; if someone has an intimate understanding of the system/looked into the code, I'd be happy to have his answer to this question :)

I have no intimate understanding of a game, but I experienced more than once than although an AI had reached WFYABTA, he still proposed tech trading deals. If you ask for negociations, you get no deal, not even the one the AI proposed initially :crazyeye:

how would you post a save of something that happens randomly IBT?

I never have, but I don't play very much (I spend more time on the board than I do in the game. It's not close).

Anyway, the way to post a save would be to set your AutoSave interval to 1; that should save the state at the beginning of your turn, which should include all of the trade proposals made by the AI between turns.

One possibility might be if two trade proposals were stacked, and you accepted the first, that might trigger Wfyabta on the second one. Does that sound like a fit?

I'm not sure about this either. I see a lot of people saying that it won't count but I'm afraid to take the deals myself without knowing for sure.
One possibility might be if two trade proposals were stacked, and you accepted the first, that might trigger Wfyabta on the second one. Does that sound like a fit?

Here's an example from BurN's Hammurabi thread. I picked this because he didn't make any remarks about other trades IBT (and he was very detailed with the trade screens showing pretty much every single one). Also, as you can read, HC has been in wfyabta for quite some time.

520 AD

HC contacts me for a trade. It's not the greatest deal ever but it's a pretty decent one. Since he has been in WFYABTA for quite a while now, I take it.

560 AD

Interesting. Very interesting. The trade proposal logic wouldn't necessarily have to be the same as the trade evaluation logic. And the truth is that I did not examine the trade proposal logic when I collected the information for this thread.

I'd still like to have a save, but there may be enough to go on without one.

I have no intimate understanding of a game, but I experienced more than once than although an AI had reached WFYABTA, he still proposed tech trading deals. If you ask for negociations, you get no deal, not even the one the AI proposed initially :crazyeye:

I don't know if it was during WFYABTA or not but I've definitely had many situations where an AI would propose a deal and if I tried to negotiate would no longer accept the deal he/she put forward! :crazyeye:

@Gliese: I have also been offered trades that when I try to negotiate, they won't settle for their initial offer. Always just assumed they were offended that I would try to negotiate.

@Rusten: The AI can randomly "forget" past trades. Is it possible that between the last check on WFYABTA and the offer, one (or more) such tech trade was forgotten by HC? Then by accepting the trade WFYABTA is once again activated? Just a thought.

Great article! :goodjob:

One question - if you are in a permanent alliance, does your potential trading partner care about the number of techs your PA received?

I.e. could they be WFYABTA towards your permanent ally (too many techs received) but still willing to trade techs to you? Or are the two numbers averaged (or summed)?

Why isn't this article in the article section?

Can we get an update with the iNoTechTradingThreshold values for BTS leaders? I would do a post about it myself but I don't want to take credit for this excellent work, better you update it.

Here are the numbers for the BTS leaders:

Pacal 5
Sitting Bull 5

Boudica 10
Darius 10
De Gaulle 10
Hammurabi 10
Lincoln 10
Suleiman 10
Suryavarman 10
Zara Yaqob 10

Charlemagne 15
Gilgamesh 15
Joao 15
Justinian 15
Pericles 15
Willem Van Oranje 15

This is pretty important info to have as you go up in difficulty. When I played Prince and Monarch, I NEVER ran into an issue with this, probably because by the time I got to WFYABTA I was already dominating the game. Now, at Emperor, I am being a LOT more careful about the techs I trade, because the game almost always goes much later, and not being able to trade after Biology or so kinda sucks.

This is pretty important info to have as you go up in difficulty. When I played Prince and Monarch, I NEVER ran into an issue with this, probably because by the time I got to WFYABTA I was already dominating the game. Now, at Emperor, I am being a LOT more careful about the techs I trade, because the game almost always goes much later, and not being able to trade after Biology or so kinda sucks.

One adjustment is to steal. After all, by then you have intelligence agencies and jails available, and probably security bureaus too. These give a hefty chunk of EP/turn just for making them (over 40/city that has all 3).

This is precisely how I warred most of the game in PYL VI with Sid and still wound up at parity - tech theft using EP. After a while I realized I was better off going full fledged EE as I had 100% everywhere and it's cheaper than beakers with same religion/stationary/EP spending modifiers and considerably so.

So a worthwhile alternative to keep in mind.

Great tip T. I even build the GW a fair amount of time, so a simple 10% adjustment to the slider could REALLY rack up some EPs to use for stealing. I will keep that in mind.

I still wish I had my spy-boats from SMAC though, heh. Love that Unit Workshop in that game. Thats a concept Sid needs to bring back, the Workshop from SMAC.

Top Bottom