What after the New Frontier Pass - the end or more

I'm hoping that Firaxis gets to revisit Beyond Earth eventually. The "what if" and far futurish setting would be cool, and I think there'd be more creative liberty in the factions, the setting and the progressions.

Also I want to play with hover units again \o/
I'm torn as to whether it would be better as a separate game or as a major Expansion to Civ VI - to really populate the Future Era or as another era, Far Future or something. The advantages to having it as an XP is obvious,.having it separate means you could have imaginative factions.

I.guess you could have the best of both worlds - you could be given the opportunity to convert your civ into a new one based on how well you did previously/your focuses during the Earth phase. Or each civ evolves into a specific Far Future one. That might make the game too long and would involve significant changes to current eras to make it feasible for a game to last into Far Future Era I guess, so I don't know.

I'm torn as to whether it would be better as a separate game or as a major Expansion to Civ VI - to really populate the Future Era or as another era, Far Future or something. The advantages to having it as an XP is obvious,.having it separate means you could have imaginative factions.

I.guess you could have the best of both worlds - you could be given the opportunity to convert your civ into a new one based on how well you did previously/your focuses during the Earth phase. Or each civ evolves into a specific Far Future one. That might make the game too long and would involve significant changes to current eras to make it feasible for a game to last into Far Future Era I guess, so I don't know.
Civ 5's science victory cheekily hinting at Beyond Earth was fun (also kind of blatant advertising), but I really like the idea of completed save files from a normal Civ game becoming a sort of seed for Civ BE games. The victory conditions achieved and the techs/resources acquired in the normal Civ game could affect the kinds of bonuses and starts that the player would get in the Civ BE game.

You know, Civilization: Stop n Swop.

Civ 5's science victory cheekily hinting at Beyond Earth was fun (also kind of blatant advertising), but I really like the idea of completed save files from a normal Civ game becoming a sort of seed for Civ BE games. The victory conditions achieved and the techs/resources acquired in the normal Civ game could affect the kinds of bonuses and starts that the player would get in the Civ BE game.

You know, Civilization: Stop n Swop.

But first you have to find an ice key hidden somewhere on the map.

Does Civ need more 90's Prima guide-style hidden nonsense that ultimately achieves nothing? Absolutely!

I'm hoping that Firaxis gets to revisit Beyond Earth eventually. The "what if" and far futurish setting would be cool, and I think there'd be more creative liberty in the factions, the setting and the progressions.

Also I want to play with hover units again \o/

I think Beyond Earth's biggest failure was not having resonant/memorable leaders like traditional civ games have. There was nothing to identify with or celebrate, just empty husks devoid of personality.

VI could fix that with a Beyond Earth mod that lets you play as cyborg Gandhi.

I think Beyond Earth's biggest failure was not having resonant/memorable leaders like traditional civ games have. There was nothing to identify with or celebrate, just empty husks devoid of personality.
This. The art and music were gorgeous and some of the mechanical ideas were good, but the setting just had no personality or depth of lore to latch onto and feel connected to.

This. The art and music were gorgeous and some of the mechanical ideas were good, but the setting just had no personality or depth of lore to latch onto and feel connected to.

Could not agree more. Beautiful looking game, and I so badly wanted to love it as a sci-fi fan. Despite playing it a bunch, I cannot recall any of the leaders or their traits. Beyond the initial video, there wasn't a reason to like or dislike any of the leaders or their agendas. Even the technologies were so esoteric that I didn't pay much attention to them. For all it's faults, mainline Civ has leaders/tech/civics that all have a common base in our shared histories. While I didn't know who Tomyris was before Civ VI, there is a real history and a real personality there to learn about. It keeps the game grounded. I think good sci fi needs to be rooted deeply in reality and history, or else it becomes detached and a bit boring. Especially over 100's of hours of play.

I would love a sequel to Alpha Centuari or a remastered version. Though the legal mine field it lives in means it's not going to happen :rolleyes:

I think good sci fi needs to be rooted deeply in reality and history, or else it becomes detached and a bit boring.
Ursula K. Le Guin once remarked that all good sci-fi is really about the present.

I would love a sequel to Alpha Centuari or a remastered version. Though the legal mine field it lives in means it's not going to happen :rolleyes:
It might be possible if someone passionate enough were able to champion it. Tim Schafer managed to convince Disney and EA to let him remaster several LucasArts adventure games (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle--I think the Monkey Island remasters were before EA/Disney were involved).

If they sit down and think about the ups and downs of NFP, and learn from them, I would love another season.

My guess is about 60/40 on new season over ending civ6. No way they do an expansion. I also dont believe a spinoff is coming, since that would cost them way more then a new season and be priced fairly close to a season.

Oddly enough, a close friend of mine loves Beyond Earth and can't get into Civ, while I am the exact opposite.

My guess is about 60/40 on new season over ending civ6. No way they do an expansion. I also dont believe a spinoff is coming, since that would cost them way more then a new season and be priced fairly close to a season.
Pretty much the same Opinion. it's too late to start working on a SpinOff now (except if they actually started working at it long ago (which would explain the plainness of the NFP Modes, since they might had less Time for them)). Nevertheless, I would welcome a BE II, but only if it's well designed and the Gameplay is well balanced (even if Civ 7 would be postponed for some Time).

Civ VI has too many Features to cope with another Expansion with more Features. It would break the Game, unless the Devs will finally make the decision to take all the Features/Mechanisms, refine them and make them interact with each other, and release the outcome in an expansion.
I think we will eather get a "Final Frontier Pass" with fewer DLCs, or the NFP Packs are the last DLCs we will get for Civ VI but we will eventually get some more Updates in 2021 (2-3 Month bases).

Beyond Earth could have done worldbuilding better. The system in Endless Space 2 with the little quests, which are entirely optional, helps build flavor.

Beyond Earth could have done worldbuilding better. The system in Endless Space 2 with the little quests, which are entirely optional, helps build flavor.
I was playing the original Endless Space around the same time I was playing Beyond Earth, and I was just amazed at how ES sucks you into its world without any massive lore-dumps or long exposition. ES2 was even better on that front. Beyond Earth almost felt like it was designed by people who weren't accustomed to writing sci-fi or to world building.

BE had little quests like that though. It is one of the few things in which it is an improvement on SMAC.

Civ 6 still seems popular and successful with lots of scope to make and sell more DLC, expansions or passes. I would be very surprised if they stopped developing this game this year. I expect to see 24 more months of updates (some free, some not).

All this talk about Beyond Earth made me want to go back and play it again. Then I remembered why I have not played in a few years, the game refuses to launch through Steam. :undecide:

Oh well, give me BE2 or Civ 7 I guess.

Top Bottom