1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What after the New Frontier Pass - the end or more

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Gradac, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator King

nope

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If we do get more content I doubt it will be as much as we got in NFP. I think the telling sign will be if the civ in March is Portugal. If it is I think that will be the end.
    If it's something North American that might mean more is on the way.

Plus we haven't been to North Africa in a long time and including a new civ there and a new Egyptian leader would make a lot of people happy.

3. Linklite

Linklite Prince

Why do you think Portugal would mean the end but north american would indicate further content?

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Portugal is really the only staple civilization that is still missing from the game. It's been in the last 3 games and I don't see the game ending without it.

Arguably the Iroquois would probably be the other closest returning staple as it's appeared twice, maybe 3 if you count it being blobbed into Civ 4 Native Americans. :shifty:

Linklite and nzcamel like this.
  5. Tony Sing

Tony Sing Chieftain

Actually, from now on it seem there are a lot of room to work on alt leader system
    Up to now there are only 4 alt leader(or 6 if you include France and US)

Maybe at least DEV should do a alt leader Pack for multiple civ before they wrap up civ 6, if they are not intent to do anymore expansion pack/DLC?

j51, Josephias and nzcamel like this.
  6. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

I remember the devs saying they originally planned for Civ 5 to have more expansions, but they decided to move on to Civ 6 instead because they couldn't get districts to work in the Civ 5 engine.

I suspect they'll take a similar approach with the current game. We'll continue to get DLC content for Civ 6 until they come up in an idea that necessitates rebuilding the engine again. Maybe that's right now or maybe it's the distant future.

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

From most likely to least likely, i expect that the next product will be:
    • A spinoff
    • A couple of small DLC's (not a pass)
    • Another pass
    • Civ 7
    • Exp. pack
    With what they brought with NFP to the base game (excluding the game modes) it's mostly new civs, CS, world wonders and great people. Only the new districts are changing the mechanics a bit, so that is all as for new mechanics. So I pressume they do think the base game mechanics are in a nice spot and do not want to add/alter it further anymore. So a new exp pack, which normally introduces new mechanics, does seem for me the least likely. Though I definitely wouldn't mind a new exp pack at all.

As for the spinoff, I hope it will be something different than Colonization or Beyond Earth. For example some of the new game modes introduced new features/mechanics which could fit in better in a phantasy based spinoff. There are also plenty of other directions they could go with a spinoff, a small period of history (other than colonization), post-apocalyptic world (alien invasion included) or a Sci-Fi based spinoff (which doesn't only revolve around Humankind).

8. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

Beyond Earth 2 :)

rlw33, XVeris and Ivan Hunger like this.
  9. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

According to this graph, the game has been more popular over the last year than during the year after the release of GS.

B and C are the expansions. (D is just a bundle release apparently)

xxhe, WillowBrook, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  10. Villager720

Villager720 Warlord

I’d much rather they keep adding to Civ 6 than release a stand alone spin off.
    Beyond Earth easily could have just been a game mode within 5 much like Red Death was in Civ 6. Keeping all that content within one title makes more sense to me, but I guess we’ll have to see.

Personally I think there’s still plenty of holes on the map for additional Civs to be added, and I do expect more to come, just probably not with a new game mode every other month like NFP.

hoaheo and acluewithout like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

That's gotta be because of quarrantine, right?

Kmart_Elvis and AntSou like this.
  12. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

April 2020 peak is sales effect. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/289070/view/2110440927192413392 It has nothing to do with NFP. To be honest we have now only one big missing Civ and it is Portugal. The rest is more or less obsucure Civs demanded on this forum. And this forum will always have a pack of obscure demanded ones even if we had 70 Civs in a game second NFP is possible only if the first one was sold well and developing of Civ VII is not a thing yet.

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, another year long "expansion" would probably be too much unless it went in a drastically different direction. I would like to see a cap mini expansion to wrap everything up, though it's possible that the last release in final frontier could be way larger than expected.

14. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Definitely the pandemic will have had an effect. See the surge in Civ V players around March 2020 which has had no releases or patches in a long time. But you can see a bump from New Frontier too I think.

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/289070,8930#All

Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 14.37.30.png

Elhoim, WillowBrook, Meluhhan and 5 others like this.
  15. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

16. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly King

Beyond Earth was a total conversion. I think it was poorly received cos of this and the fact it cost twice as much as Civ V.

17. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

If there is more content after NPF, I'd prefer that it's more focused on leaders than in full Civilizations. I mean, if the civ in March is Portugal, we can get after that:
    One civ in North America (Iroquois, Navajo...)
    One civ in North Africa (Morocco or Berbers)
    One ancient civilization (Assyria or Hittites)
    Italian representation (Venice, Frorence, Genoa or Italy as whole)
    The other ones can be alt-leaders and persona packs:
    Ramesses II for Egypt
    Otto von Bismarck for Germany
    Ivan the Terrible for Russia
    And more some.

They can be compressed into 4 or 5 DLCs.

Alexander's Hetaroi and Hawke9 like this.
  18. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

It does feel a bit like, if the last Civ is Portugal, then Civ is over.

Seems unlikely we’d get another big Expansion either way.

If sales are good, and FXS are still interested, I could see one or more mini-expansions or another season pass. There’s plenty more FXS could do with the current engine / game, even more so after NFP. And the “Game Modes” lets FXS add stuff without risking overcrowding the game. I mean, Corporations and Monopolies is basically base game content rather than a real “alt game mode” like eg Apocalypse, but it’s implemented as a game mode all the same.

Fingers crossed.

19. SirWill90

SirWill90 Warlord

Hoping for 7 to be announced soon, I feel 6 has had its day. I still like starting games but by the end it's more of an effort to finish than a pleasure. NFP has been a bit of a fresh coat of paint but really, I would rather think dev effort was being directed more toward making 7 a better game. Hard to imagine paying for any further content for 6 at this point.

Elhoim, Hawke9, Zaarin and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

Just no Civ spin-offs .... those things simply dont sell, there are too many other kind of games .... Civ only now is getting some kind of competition

SirWill90, Hawke9 and Myomoto like this.