What after the New Frontier Pass - the end or more

Fixing bugs, exploits, AI, etc is not a content we should consider as a additional paid DLC ;)
Final frontier pass:

DLC 1: Fixes some bugs

DLC 2: Removes some exploits and a district (to exploitable)

DLC 3: Improves AI and removes airplanes

DLC 4: Improves balance and removes OP civs

DLC 5: Fixes some more bugs and improves AI

DLC 6: Removes remaining exploits and diplomacy

:rolleyes:

...the first few dlc (Poland, Australia) got a fluster of negative reviews on Steam bc ppl thought they were too expensive, which is odd since the same style dlc for Civ V (so Korea, Babylon, etc) are positive reviewed.
I don't know about Civ V, but I definitely felt that the Civ VI DLCs were over priced for what they were. I really hope they rethink those.
For £30, I got the base game plus all pre-NFP DLC barring the Nubia and Indonesia & Khmer packs. £23 got me R+F and GS. Then £32 got me NFP. £85 got me what, 50 civs? So about £1.70 per civ. Plus I got plenty of maps and scenarios, the gameplay and modes, etc with that for that price. Then for DLC they want me to pay about £4 each for a set of just one civ and maybe one scenario.

That's just too much for just one civ, really. That's like saying that the real cost of vanilla is £72(!) and that doesn't include the game itself, that's just the civs. I've barely paid more than that for virtually the entire set and I don't feel like I got amazing value for money.

I hope they don't do DLC style releases anymore. Or if they do, it's NFP style with a substantial discount for bulk buying and you get other stuff with it as well, like game modes. I'd prefer XPs though.

Final frontier pass:

DLC 1: Fixes some bugs

DLC 2: Removes some exploits and a district (to exploitable)

DLC 3: Improves AI and removes airplanes

DLC 4: Improves balance and removes OP civs

DLC 5: Fixes some more bugs and improves AI

DLC 6: Removes remaining exploits and diplomacy

:rolleyes:
But this should not be a paid content! Do we really want a gaming business to work this way? Pay for a game with bugs, glitches, and faults, and then pay one more time for the patch that removes ones? Give me a break.

But this should not be a paid content! Do we really want a gaming business to work this way? Pay for a game with bugs, glitches, and faults, and then pay one more time for the patch that removes ones? Give me a break.
Of course not! I hope you understand that my post was obviously with a sarcastic tone to underline what you are stating in your previous post. But also that civ 6 still needs some attention to balance, bugs and exploits etc.

I don't know about Civ V, but I definitely felt that the Civ VI DLCs were over priced for what they were. I really hope they rethink those.
For £30, I got the base game plus all pre-NFP DLC barring the Nubia and Indonesia & Khmer packs. £23 got me R+F and GS. Then £32 got me NFP. £85 got me what, 50 civs? So about £1.70 per civ. Plus I got plenty of maps and scenarios, the gameplay and modes, etc with that for that price. Then for DLC they want me to pay about £4 each for a set of just one civ and maybe one scenario.

That's just too much for just one civ, really. That's like saying that the real cost of vanilla is £72(!) and that doesn't include the game itself, that's just the civs. I've barely paid more than that for virtually the entire set and I don't feel like I got amazing value for money.

I hope they don't do DLC style releases anymore. Or if they do, it's NFP style with a substantial discount for bulk buying and you get other stuff with it as well, like game modes. I'd prefer XPs though.

Did you buy the earlier stuff full price though? I just checked the prices on Steam, if I bought everything now and full price (so without using the platinum bundle) I had to pay 207.90€ (in Germany). That's around 184,36£ atm so more than double the price you paid. If you just break this down to price/civ one civ would be around 3,69£ which is close to the 4£ you pay per full price DLC now.
Ofc you can always wait and get things discounted (or use bundles etc) but it makes no sense to compare discounted prices to full price prices and conclude that full price stuff is overpriced.

Of course not! I hope you understand that my post was obviously with a sarcastic tone to underline what you are stating in your previous post. But also that civ 6 still needs some attention to balance, bugs and exploits etc.
:D Ok Sorry. I didn't catch the sarcasm. My fault ;)

Did you buy the earlier stuff full price though? I just checked the prices on Steam, if I bought everything now and full price (so without using the platinum bundle) I had to pay 207.90€ (in Germany). That's around 184,36£ atm so more than double the price you paid. If you just break this down to price/civ one civ would be around 3,69£ which is close to the 4£ you pay per full price DLC now.
Ofc you can always wait and get things discounted (or use bundles etc) but it makes no sense to compare discounted prices to full price prices and conclude that full price stuff is overpriced.
I got £10 off once on sale admittedly, that only adds 20p per civ. The rest is standard priced bundles and you can't buy them separately. I think you've missed a big point though - with the base games, XPs etc you get significant amounts of other content that you don't get with the DLCs; the core game, additional mechanics, etc. Even NFP, which didnt quite match up with the XPs came with game modes. DLCs don't. To be considered equal value for money you have to price the DLCs lower per civ than the others, not "not that much more".

Going by DLC pricing, the base game would be £72, assuming the rest was free. I paid £30 (standard price now) for it with all but two DLCs and was happy - I certainly wouldn't have paid £72 just for the base game.

Edit: I generally think DLC is overpriced, it's not just Civ VI or even just Civ; SSB was shocking for it, 70p per character plus the core game in the base game, versus £4+ per character as DLC.

Last edited:
It does feel a bit like, if the last Civ is Portugal, then Civ is over.

We were already saying that with Babylon. I don't remember the number of times I read: "If Babylon is in NFP, then Civ 6 is over". Shouldn't Civ 6 be over now? "Well, no, because it's if Portugal is in NFP that the cycle will be over". OK, but will we stop here? "No, because if the Iroquois aren't in it, then it's most probably not over". And again, and again, and again, with Morocco, with Hittites, with Venice/Italy, Austria...
We already have Babylon and for a lot of people it's was the sign that Civ 6 was ending. For me, Portugal is not a sign anymore.

Polynesia is probably too blobby but there could be maybe another polynesian group other than Maori?

Problem is, one of the most distinctive traits of Polynesian peoples is that they're seafaring people, something already covered by the Maoris. And if we would try a new, different civ with a different gameplay, paradoxically, the one that could fit because if was the most land based of polynesians is the Maoris, so if we include the Tonga, let's say (Polynesians that IMO would have fitted better the Maoris niche), either we'd have two deeply seafaring polynesian civ, or we will have a completely incoherent Tonga civ.

Maria Theresa would imo be a better fit for a new civ - Austria. And ofc as alt for Hungary.
I would prefer an acutal Austrian civ with her to lead it. Though considering Germany is also represented by the HRE she could possibly fit as a leader, considering I don't expect Austria to return.

I've always seen Assyrians as more warlike than the other two.
Yeah it's not neccessarily about the playstyle, but more along the lines of we just got our second Mesopotamia civ. I'd be ecstatic if they added Assyria though.

Not sure that means much. So long as they alter the bonuses, it's fine. I mean, both Macedonia and Columbians are straight Dom civs, but because the bonuses are different, it's fine having both.
I can still see Morocco being added more than Songhai though. Songhai basically covered the same territory and has the same city list as Mali.

Means nothing in this conversation, though. Babylon was already in the game when they made it a fully fledged civ. They'd just rename it and move on.
Sure maybe for another pass though they decided to add these in pretty late in the game while Babylon was added pretty early in development.

We were already saying that with Babylon. I don't remember the number of times I read: "If Babylon is in NFP, then Civ 6 is over". Shouldn't Civ 6 be over now? "Well, no, because it's if Portugal is in NFP that the cycle will be over". OK, but will we stop here? "No, because if the Iroquois aren't in it, then it's most probably not over". And again, and again, and again, with Morocco, with Hittites, with Venice/Italy, Austria...
We already have Babylon and for a lot of people it's was the sign that Civ 6 was ending. For me, Portugal is not a sign anymore.
Well we already knew that we were going to get content up until March. When many people think it's over it will be after March/April update.

I know what you mean, but how many hours have you played? What would that convert to in movie tickets if you want to see that many hours of films? It's still a deal as far as entertainment dollars are concerned.

My actual price gripe is still (yeah I'm old) the industry conversion from physical goods to downloadable games, while the prices remained the same. They sold people on how convenient it is, but really it's just total cost savings for the companies. No cost to design the packaging, to manufacture, to replicate, to store, to ship. Charge--the same. They convinced people that their cost saving was customer service.

Last edited:
Of course, I want more. At least, another season pack of 9 civs. Candidates can easily be found in the steam workshop.

if the developers can't find something new for an extra pack season, why would they find something new for a civ 7?
Are you all already looking forward to starting all over again, and playing for 2 years with egypt, greece, england, germany, france, american and rome ?
honestly, other than a spherical map, what could not be added to civ6? this game still has surely plenty of possibilities to be richer not explored yet.

I got £10 off once on sale admittedly, that only adds 20p per civ. The rest is standard priced bundles and you can't buy them separately. I think you've missed a big point though - with the base games, XPs etc you get significant amounts of other content that you don't get with the DLCs; the core game, additional mechanics, etc. Even NFP, which didnt quite match up with the XPs came with game modes. DLCs don't. To be considered equal value for money you have to price the DLCs lower per civ than the others, not "not that much more".

Going by DLC pricing, the base game would be £72, assuming the rest was free. I paid £30 (standard price now) for it with all but two DLCs and was happy - I certainly wouldn't have paid £72 just for the base game.

Edit: I generally think DLC is overpriced, it's not just Civ VI or even just Civ; SSB was shocking for it, 70p per character plus the core game in the base game, versus £4+ per character as DLC.

I know that you get mechanics and stuff with the base game and the expansions, I just broke it down to civs since you did the same in your post earlier.
My main point is still relevant though. You compare full price prices to special offers and are shocked that full prices are (much) higher than special offers. I just checked and the base game without any DLC is 50£ on steam right now. Thats the price you have to compare to the new DLC prices. Not the 30£ you paid somewhere else/in a sale with some DLCs already included (which is still alot btw, a friend of me paid 27€ for the platinum edition lately). The game is already 4 years old, ofc you can get it cheaper than its original price but in 4 years from now you will be able to get the NFP cheaper than the current 33£ as well.
That does not say anything about my opinion on the pricing at all btw.

I know what you mean, but how many hours have you played? What would that convert to in movie tickets if you want to see that many hours of films? It's still a deal as far as entertainment dollars are concerned.

My actual price gripe is still (yeah I'm old) the industry conversion from physical goods to downloadable games, while the prices remained the same. They sold people on how convenient it is, but really it's just total cost savings for the companies. No cost to design the packaging, to manufacture, to replicate, to store, to ship. Charge--the same. They convinced people that their cost saving was customer service.

I played over 2000h of CiVI so far. So I consider every € I spend on it well spend. Even if I paid the maximum price (which I didnt) its something like 200€/2000h=0,10€/h. That's way cheaper than any movie ticket or nearly every other entertainment stuff I pay for.

Apology to all, I forgot HITTITES on the list. One of my three favorites of Civ3 :crazyeye:

maybe something else missing, but your point stands.

I hope the group that delivered to us most of NFP dlcs will continue doing so until at least the end of this calendar year. And I hope they will announce something like that maybe in march already. The second best, to me, would be spinoffs like Civilization VI / Colonization or something like Crusader's Time in medieval middle east or Alfa Century / Beyond Earth.
My hope for a spin off some time (doubtful there will be one for 6) is still a paleolithic-ancient Civilization prequel of sorts. Start with a solitary tribe, build a following, develop new tools, different levels of domestication maybe, early agriculture; the first team to build the first permanent true city is the winner (being the "Alpha Centauri" of the game so to speak). Game ends on what is current civ's turn 0.

We were already saying that with Babylon. I don't remember the number of times I read: "If Babylon is in NFP, then Civ 6 is over".

People finding some hope to cling on to? I guess it got buried earlier in the thread but I made the point that even if Portugal is the flagship it's a pretty weak one compared to what's was in NFP. So I guess I kind of think that Babylon being in NFP might have been the sign that we won't get another. Portugal would probably be the final nail in the coffin as then there's no obvious contenders at all...

People finding some hope to cling on to? I guess it got buried earlier in the thread but I made the point that even if Portugal is the flagship it's a pretty weak one compared to what's was in NFP. So I guess I kind of think that Babylon being in NFP might have been the sign that we won't get another. Portugal would probably be the final nail in the coffin as then there's no obvious contenders at all...
If we do get more I wouldn't expect 8 more civs and 9 leaders. Maybe about half that number which technically Portugal could carry. But that's still a big "if".

I guess it all depends on how the New Frontier Pass sold. I can see them doing half a pass: 4 more DLC in a Final Frontier pack would lead them to the end of the year. There's enough ideas for four modes, four civs and some leaders. Also, this would close out the game neatly in a year. And it's a number that I can see them just throwing in all the ideas that came around during the development but weren't used rather than a systematically thought through expansion such as New Frontier seems to be. We will see soon enough :)

The other question is whether there are Alt leaders who could be figureheads? Ramesses? Julius Caesar? George Washington? All of those would probably shift units...
I'm sure Ramesses, or any Egyptian leader, that's not Cleopatra would be a welcome addition considering people have been asking since the game came out.
I personally don't mind Cleopatra as leader but I wouldn't say no to another leader that changes the way Egypt plays.

Top Bottom