what AI to you least want as a neighbor?

Toku for me! No idea why but he almost ALWAYS starts as my direct neighbor, to the point where I quit a game last week as soon as i saw his scout, it gets boring have the exact civ always next to you! Especially Toku!!! And what are the odds of him always being there every 3 out of 5 games? Grrrr :(

I must have some weird copy of Civ because in every game that Sitting Bull appears he sucks, in fact I had to save his butt last game from barbarians because he could develop or build an army for nothing. We we're playing on Great Plains and he gets a nice area filled with plains and rivers, great terrain IMO once you get metalcasting cause then you can build cities near rivers, farm the rivers and then have workshops outside the irrigatable squares. Personally, I despise having Gandhi and Charlemagne as neighbors as usually Gandhi spams his own religion in my territory and Charlamagne has more than once declared war on me, especially when I'm at war with another civ....Thankfully, Cataphracts with shock beat Landskrenachts
I dislike being near Sitting Bull not because he's good but because he can easily counter everything prior to catapults. Protective archer + totem pole + barracks= CG III out of the box. Dog Soldiers are +100% vs. axemen and spearmen plus are resourceless.

I must have some weird copy of Civ because in every game that Sitting Bull appears he sucks, in fact I had to save his butt last game from barbarians because he could develop or build an army for nothing. We we're playing on Great Plains and he gets a nice area filled with plains and rivers, great terrain IMO once you get metalcasting cause then you can build cities near rivers, farm the rivers and then have workshops outside the irrigatable squares. Personally, I despise having Gandhi and Charlemagne as neighbors as usually Gandhi spams his own religion in my territory and Charlamagne has more than once declared war on me, especially when I'm at war with another civ....Thankfully, Cataphracts with shock beat Landskrenachts
this is not your copy of civ that is weird - that's Sitting Bull himself. I always feel sorry for that peaceful guy to be kicked around late game because he's always 2 unit generations behind the leaders.

My vote goes for Napolean. He builds units like crazy (I've seen a stack of no less than 20 cavalry from him before. It was probably more than that) and always seems to DOW me.

Zara Yaqob. More than other Creative leaders, he builds cities and expands as much as possible. He is always first on my rush list and I am happy when he starts on a small island because he very rarely expands overseas.

Zara Yaqob. More than other Creative leaders, he builds cities and expands as much as possible. He is always first on my rush list and I am happy when he starts on a small island because he very rarely expands overseas.

I just vassalized him in a game I'm playing, and the guy is probably the first civ in any of my games who had a fleet of galleons and sent it overseas to fight a war

I also dislike Willem of the Dutch, such a religion whore, he always founds a religion and will try to get the AP, he actually succeeded once and there was a league of his religion in one half of the world

this is not your copy of civ that is weird - that's Sitting Bull himself. I always feel sorry for that peaceful guy to be kicked around late game because he's always 2 unit generations behind the leaders.

I'd feel a lot more sympathetic towards that peaceful guy if he stopped widdling into my water reservoirs. That is simply not done, at least not while he's asking for favours almost constantly.

I just vassalized him in a game I'm playing, and the guy is probably the first civ in any of my games who had a fleet of galleons and sent it overseas to fight a war

I also dislike Willem of the Dutch, such a religion whore, he always founds a religion and will try to get the AP, he actually succeeded once and there was a league of his religion in one half of the world

Yeah what's up with this SOB somehow founding an early religion in EVERY FREAKING GAME! I mean the guy can't be popping mysticism in every game can he? That being said, I don't have a lot of trouble with him. He's quick to DOW, but he doesn't build units so I could care less. Even though he's financial I rarely befriend him for some reason. He's an ugly dude. Reminds me of those guys in movies depicted as middle age european royalty with the way too long hair growing out of a mole on his face.

I thought it was hilarious when he spammed his religion at me, and unknowingly screwed himself over. This was funny because I generally dont whip my people and have huge populations so my votes are often more than the rest of the world combined. I, a christian state, controlled the jewish AP.

I'd feel a lot more sympathetic towards that peaceful guy if he stopped widdling into my water reservoirs. That is simply not done, at least not while he's asking for favours almost constantly.
I'm lucky - i was never spawned right next to him :)
so i feel sorry and sympathetic for him while he is poisoning someone other's water :)

Monty would have to be my pick. Not because he's impossible to take out, once you know he's a lunatic, but because it means that my actions, my game choices, are dictated by his presence. After the first couple times, it goes from "spicy" to "annoying" in a hurry. The only good thing about him is that his diplomacy screen samples the opening music from Civ2, at least my Apple version, and that brings back good memories.

After the king of the crazies, any Protective or Creative civ is a pain, because rushing before Cats is difficult and costly.

monty is straight up crazy, in my current game the guy has DOWd on at least 6 different civs in less than 100 turns...

Sitting Bull is the worst neighbor, easily. He almost always starts with marble, and with PHI is going to have some great early wonders, but his PRO trait and UB (and later UU) make him nearly impossible to rush. Especialy on a hill. And after gunpowder is no fun either . . .

A question (or observation) somewhat related to this topic:
When picking random opponents, is it realy random? Or does dificulty tie into the selection at all? Or are there other factors, such as who gives you a hard time? I mean, on noble level i swear I would have Survy in 99% of my games. Justantine quite a bit too. I hardly ever saw Toku, Shaka (although more often than Toku). It seems like I had a group of about 10 or 12 "regulars" who would invaribly show up in most all my games. Since recently moving on to prince level, I have already started seeing leaders I had rarely seen before. (Just had Boudicia, GW, Cathy). Or maybe it has something to with YOUR traits? If i'm an industious leader, I tend to see many other Ind or Financial leaders. Expansive leader, I'll see creative, charismatic, IMP more often. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I am paranoid . . .

Sitting Bull is the worst neighbor, easily. He almost always starts with marble, and with PHI is going to have some great early wonders, but his PRO trait and UB (and later UU) make him nearly impossible to rush. Especialy on a hill. And after gunpowder is no fun either . . .

A question (or observation) somewhat related to this topic:
When picking random opponents, is it realy random? Or does dificulty tie into the selection at all? Or are there other factors, such as who gives you a hard time? I mean, on noble level i swear I would have Survy in 99% of my games. Justantine quite a bit too. I hardly ever saw Toku, Shaka (although more often than Toku). It seems like I had a group of about 10 or 12 "regulars" who would invaribly show up in most all my games. Since recently moving on to prince level, I have already started seeing leaders I had rarely seen before. (Just had Boudicia, GW, Cathy). Or maybe it has something to with YOUR traits? If i'm an industious leader, I tend to see many other Ind or Financial leaders. Expansive leader, I'll see creative, charismatic, IMP more often. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I am paranoid . . .

I don't think it's random.
I notice that as Elizabeth, Wang Kon is always one of the leaders. I also notice there's always one huge empire guy (either Sury, Justinian, or one of the Caesars)

I haven't noticed any trends myself. I play at noble and I find Monty a lot. I've yet to see roosevelt or De gaulle. In my recent games, I haven't really encountered the Greeks, Egyptians, Mongolians, or Mali.

Korea, Spain, HRE, Aztecs, and Rome seem to have been in a lot of my games recently.

Seems random to me. But it's interesting that almost everytime I get China, it's almost always Mao. If it's Russia, it's Cathy. England most of the time it's lizzy. Rome is usually Julius

I always like Hatshepsut. She builds so many nice wonders, and so few units to defend them :)

I find Wang Kon by me a lot and he invariably ends up my vassal :trouble:

I can't stand Tokugawa, Monty is manageable, good attack dog, and he is easy to put down if need be, Stalin is a PITA, tbh so are Peter and Cath, Gilgy is annoying in much the same way as Stalin, but he's even harder to kill, Charlemagne lovvvessss having massive early game holy cities on hills protected by lots and lots of CG archers, which makes him annoying, SB isn't too bad, I can usually take him down with a renaissance war or earlier.

Wank On is useless as an AI until midgame - then, if he's been left alone to turtle up, he has a tendency to start catching up real fast in tech. It's like he spends the first half of the game hitting the Soju and the rest of the game recovering. :)

As for appearances, I think Mansa has been in every game of Warlords and BTS that I've ever played.

What kind of Q is this - Alex ofc :D. He's aggresive, has Phalanx which you simply can't counter, he WILL attack you most probably, he promotes his units to Shock very often.. all his units are generally well promoted. He builds a lot units.. :king: Worst neighbour by far.

Top Bottom