1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on BitCoin?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

That's sad af

I'm so tired of crypto. I got into it in late 2015 for practical purposes (I can't divulge more) but after having learned about the environmental costs & witnesses how stupid & unproductive it's made my friends who are into it (they work just to speculate on stupid coins & have abandoned more creative & useful projects to obsess about this bs all day).

I'll admit there's some bit of sour-grapes that I sold my btc due to financial pressure before the 2nd spike & I missed out on the doggie coin craze but even if I'd made $ for round 2 I'd still think it was an overall negative & be kind of embarrassed that I'd gotten rich off a stupid craze while others toiled to provide actual value for society.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Nice? *glances around* this place?

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

You should get out more. Not every place is perfect, but overall the world is a pretty nice place to live.

Moriarte likes this.
  4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's okay to make money off of people like this. They wanted the product you held. Now, you have to get really lucky, because you're mostly predicting the zeitgeist rather than making a value analysis. Sure, you contributed to environmental costs, but you sold and then the price went up, so you did your bit for increasing supply.

And, because you now have USD and they have a digital asset, you have more ability to affect change in your life.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

You joke, but that's exactly how it works.

6. RobAnybody

RobAnybody Emperor

I guess to follow up more seriously, it's literally how it works. Marvel & DC (who are trying to crack down on "their" artists) are trying to prevent their artists from selling their original art as NFT's for Etherium.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Well I didn't read every post but I read enough of each year's comments that it was certainly interesting spending my morning reading how this conversation developed.

Anyway I'm a fan of crypto. I have owned and sold several. And currently hold ETC and DOGE. Is it being manipulated? For sure, but so is everything else, and I certainly don't advocate for anyone puting in any money that if lost would result in a significant reduction in quality of life.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yeah but compared to Skyrim?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Well, I will admit, Skyrim can be pretty nice and my house there is especially nice. I should go visit soon.

10. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Aw now you've done it, I got nostalgic to play it again :lol:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Samson

Samson Deity

I do not get your first comment. When I visit the techinfoservices link I get a "This page has been blocked by an extension" message that I have never seen before, but if I take the query string off I get a very basic and not exactly accurate but not really scammy description of quantum computers.

However, there are many times more scams than there are genuine business models. I think this page is over 90% scams.

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

That link takes me to a page about Elon Musk supposedly giving up his other businesses to devote himself to Bitcoin Evolution.

14. Samson

Samson Deity

That is really weird. In tor I can open the whole link, and it gives me the "Science Made Simple: What Is Quantum Computing?" page that I get without the query string. I wonder what is going on? Is your IP addy flagged as a spam target? Can you change it and get a different result?

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

@ Samson

Could it be that your anti-malware software service is merely working correctly?

El_Machinae likes this.
  16. Samson

Samson Deity

Yeah, I am sure that is why it is blocked on my main browsers. I have no such anti-malware in tor though, and I am getting a different page to AmazonQueen. I can only surmise that it is an IP thing, and some IP addys (UK only?) are getting the scam (which some anti-malware is blocking), and others are getting a useless but harmless page.

None of this changes the original very valid point, that most crypto schemes on the interwebs are scams.

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Probably something like @EnglishEdward suggests.
    \I don't know how to change it using Tor.

18. Samson

Samson Deity

If you have the tor browser, then "New Identity" or "New tor circuit for this site" do it.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

You've lost me.

20. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I understand that ISPs do blocking and also that they do it differently.