What book are you reading, ιf' - Iff you read books

Rough list of the FB stories I personally liked (to varying degrees) up to now, half-way through the third collection:

Col1: The Invisible Man, less so: The Secret Garden, The Eye of Apollo, the Queer Feet
Col2: Really no story was that good in my opinion, but I liked elements in The Head of Caesar
Col3: The Arrow of Heaven, the Oracle of the Dog (but I have to note that imo the quality rose very steeply in col3, so maybe there will be more of interest :) )

In red are the stories which I had already read before.

Honorable mention, from Col1: The Sign of the Broken Sword might have had made a bigger impression, if the main idea wasn't (later) used by Borges in a way closer to my taste.

Last edited:
Rough list of the FB stories I personally liked (to varying degrees) up to now, half-way through the third collection:

Col1: The Invisible Man, less so: The Secret Garden, The Eye of Apollo, the Queer Feet
Col2: Really no story was that good in my opinion, but I liked elements in The Head of Caesar
Col3: The Arrow of Heaven, the Oracle of the Dog (but I have to note that imo the quality rose very steeply in col3, so maybe there will be more of interest :) )

In red are the stories which I had already read before.

Honorable mention, from Col1: The Sign of the Broken Sword might have had made a bigger impression, if the main idea wasn't (later) used by Borges in a way closer to my taste.
I liked The Sins of Prince Saradine and The Duel of Dr. Hirsch, not so much The Eye of Apollo.

I see that upcoming in Collection 3 are The Strange Crime of John Boulnois, which I remember that I liked, and The Fairy-Tale of Father Brown, not really a detective story but a dreamy picturesque little tale. There is also my least favorite Father Brown story, The God of the Gongs, which apart from being vilely xenophobic is so incoherently written I couldn't make head or tail of it.

Iirc both Boulnois and Fairy Tale are in collection 2 (at least in my pdf :) ). I recall both of them, but liked neither...
The Duel of Dr. Hirsch is the one about the double existence, I suppose. Can't say it was of interest.
Prince Saradine, this is the swamp/isolated river estate? If so, the theme imo simply lost too much by randomly happening when Brown was there.

Well, I'll reserve judgment until you've finished the entire collection, but until then my tentative diagnosis is that it's more of a case of hard-to-please reader than a hard-at-pleasing writer

Nice little passage from Swann's Way (about the narrator's favourite writer Bergotte):

Like Swann, they would say of Bergotte: "He has a charming mind, so individual, he has a way of his own of saying things, which is a little far-fetched, but so pleasant. You never need to look for his name on the title-page, you can tell his work at once." But none of them had yet gone so far as to say "He is a great writer, he has great talent." They did not even credit him with talent at all. They did not speak, because they were not aware of it. We are very slow in recognising in the peculiar physiognomy of a new writer the type which is labelled 'great talent' in our museum of general ideas. Simply because that physiognomy is new and strange, we can find in it no resemblance to what we are accustomed to call talent. We say rather originality, charm, delicacy, strength; and then one day we add up the sum of these, and find that it amounts simply to talent.

An awful lot of words for an awful lot of nothing

So, for instance, every Saturday, as Françoise had to go in the afternoon to market at Roussainville-le-Pin, the whole household would have to have luncheon an hour earlier. And my aunt had so thoroughly acquired the habit of this weekly exception to her general habits, that she clung to it as much as to the rest. She was so well 'routined' to it, as Françoise would say, that if, on a Saturday, she had had to wait for her luncheon until the regular hour, it would have 'upset' her as much as if she had had, on an ordinary day, to put her luncheon forward to its Saturday time. Incidentally this acceleration of luncheon gave Saturday, for all of us, an individual character, kindly and rather attractive. At the moment when, ordinarily, there was still an hour to be lived through before meal-time sounded, we would all know that in a few seconds we should see the endives make their precocious appearance, followed by the special favour of an omelette, an unmerited steak. The return of this asymmetrical Saturday was one of those petty occurrences, intra-mural, localised, almost civic, which, in uneventful lives and stable orders of society, create a kind of national unity, and become the favourite theme for conversation, for pleasantries, for anecdotes which can be embroidered as the narrator pleases; it would have provided a nucleus, ready-made, for a legendary cycle, if any of us had had the epic mind. At daybreak, before we were dressed, without rhyme or reason, save for the pleasure of proving the strength of our solidarity, we would call to one another good-humoredly, cordially, patriotically, "Hurry up; there's no time to be lost; don't forget, it's Saturday!" while my aunt, gossiping with Françoise, and reflecting that the day would be even longer than usual, would say, "You might cook them a nice bit of veal, seeing that it's Saturday." If, at half-past ten, some one absent-mindedly pulled out a watch and said, "I say, an hour-and-a-half still before luncheon," everyone else would be in ecstasies over being able to retort at once: "Why, what are you thinking about? Have you for-gotten that it's Saturday?" And a quarter of an hour later we would still be laughing, and reminding ourselves to go up and tell aunt Léonie about this absurd mistake, to amuse her. The very face of the sky appeared to undergo a change. After luncheon the sun, conscious that it was Saturday, would blaze an hour longer in the zenith, and when some one, thinking that we were late in starting for our walk, said, "What, only two o'clock!" feeling the heavy throb go by him of the twin strokes from the steeple of Saint-Hilaire (which as a rule passed no one at that hour upon the highways, deserted for the midday meal or for the nap which follows it, or on the banks of the bright and ever-flowing stream, which even the angler had abandoned, and so slipped unaccompanied into the vacant sky, where only a few loitering clouds remained to greet them) the whole family would respond in chorus: "Why, you're forgetting; we had luncheon an hour earlier; you know very well it's Saturday."

I still love the book, but I have to read so much of it

Ended Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield.

I misread the synopsis, I expected more presence in the story of the persian side, so I enjoyed below book's quality

Started The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman

Finished The Institute by Stephen King, reminded me alot of Firestarter altho not as good, nevertheless a smooth read 7/10

The Dangerous Years, a bit of historical fiction about an English naval officer whose postings after the Great War have him rescuing White Russians, encountering hurricanes, and rescuing missionaries in China while having the ocassional fling.

Top Bottom