What book are you reading, ιf' - Iff you read books

Kyriakos

Creator
This is the sixteenth thread, or in the non-barbaric enumeration, ιf'. Apparently the convention is to not list all previous threads, only the one before this, which is here.

I am reading the Paradoxes of Mr. Pond, by Chesterton. It is a collection of short stories :)

Last edited:
It would be nice to list the previous ones, though... helpful, and you'd start a new tradition! :)

It would be nice to list the previous ones, though... helpful, and you'd start a new tradition! :)
If mods would allow such, maybe you (Valka) can take the thread (start it) if you are also to do the considerable work to create that list?
What do you think, @Arakhor ? (I'd be fine with it :) )

If mods would allow such, maybe you (Valka) can take the thread (start it) if you are also to do the considerable work to create that list?
What do you think, @Arakhor ? (I'd be fine with it :) )

If allowed, I'd be willing to take it on. :)

Go right ahead. I can always edit it in the first post if you do. :)

I recently acquired The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book at a bargain store and it's nice to see Mr. Watterson's writings and his comments on his own work.

Finished The House on the Strand; du Maurier is a wonderful writer, and it showed for most of the book, but the weak ending felt like she couldn't figure how to wrap things up.

Reading The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson, alt-history / sci-fi about a group of individuals who get reincarnated together, set in an alternate world across several lifetimes where the Black Plague kills most of the European population allowing Muslims to settle there, the Chinese discover and colonise the western Americas, and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy becomes a world power.

I recently acquired The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book at a bargain store and it's nice to see Mr. Watterson's writings and his comments on his own work.

Bought that as a kid and still remember some of his commentary.

Just finished Flags of our Fathers and am currently reading Like Comment and Subscribe, a history of YouTube. Just bought The Master Switch and Antisocial Media for my SLIS class.

I finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yesterday. Not as much action as probably I thought of a spy novel – really a lot of interviewing and reminiscing – but this is the first le Carré novel I've read so really I don't know what I was expecting. It felt anticlimatic in the end, but I did enjoy how all the pieces fit together. Some parts were confusing, but otherwise very engaging and I read for long stretches at a time.

Maybe the next new book to me will be The Great Gatsby. It's sitting on my desk right now, a version published by the China Translation and Publishing Corporation for some reason...

Last edited:
I finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yesterday. Not as much action as probably I thought of a spy novel – really a lot of interviewing and reminiscing – but this is the first le Carré novel I've read so really I don't know what I was expecting. It felt anticlimatic in the end, but I did enjoy how all the pieces fit together. Some parts were confusing, but otherwise very engaging and I read for long stretches at a time.

Maybe the next new book to me will be The Great Gatsby. It's sitting on my desk right now, a version published by the China Translation and Publishing Corporation for some reason...
Le Carre is one of the greats, but yeah, he doesn't write 007-style action-espionage. I admire his writing more than I like it, exactly. His books don't exactly breeze by, for me. :lol: But I think you could say that Fleming and Le Carre paved the two, broad roads of modern espionage fiction, one more muscular, one more intellectual. For the former, I recommend Jackdaws (2001) by Ken Follett; for the latter, Night Soldiers (2008) by Alan Furst.

I have spent the last three days reading:

A Tupolev Too Far

by that late Dereham boy

Brian Aldiss

that I bought second hand for £1.50

It is a quite varied but odd collection of sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and similar short stories.

In particular it has an interesting variant on Frankenstein's monster, and on Kafka from the cockroach's perspective.

re: thread subtitle. I saw a bumper sticker that said "Honk iff you love formal logic"

The Children of Men (1992) by P.D. James. Only just started it, but I like her writing.

I finished "The Rebirths of Tao" that ended the series. Excellent all the way through all three books without let up.

Top Bottom