1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you miss the most from previous versions of Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Snarf054, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I miss Corporations. Mostly the Vox Populi version rather than the Civ IV version.

I miss being able to found multiple religions.

I miss the periodic popups that tell you miscellaneous rankings in the guise of historical treatises. (Pompey's Most Wonderous...)

2. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

I swap xenos from BE with barbs any day.
    Social policies from Civ5.

Don't miss civ 3 leaders graphics/animation some could be in horror movies and cause nightmares.

Babarigo likes this.
  3. cvb

cvb Chieftain

My favourite would be to get something like the civ2 advisor voices back by clicking on the civ6 governor icons in the cities ...

Eg. Victor: "We need barracks, noble leader, or would you have our soldiers sleeping on your palace steps?"
    Amani: "Excellency, let us sharpen our diplomacy first and our swords later ..."
    Pingala: "Most blessed leader, the torch of enlightenment sputters in your hand!"
    Reyna: "Excellency, let us make currency instead of swords, for it is wealth that moves the world and profit that rules it."

4. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 Chieftain

I always liked corporations, even though I don't think they were ever executed as well as possible. Gave you something to do in later turns.

Babarigo, Imaus, kaspergm and 3 others like this.
  5. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I loved founding one and then suddenly getting obsessed with controlling every last Wheat Corn and Rice on the plant to feed the Insatiable Cereal Mills juggernaut. We will bury Sid's Sushi Co.!
    Just the drive to obtain resources by any means really gave an "economic imperialism" side of things where you had to consider that some wars wouldn't be worthwhile and sometimes going after your pals was "just business."
    The branch offices and that whole pseudo missionary spreading, I didn't care for.

Babarigo likes this.
  6. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Agreed, but no love for the top 5 city screen (or was it 10)?

7. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Oh yes, of course! All the Fxx info screens from Civ III, including this, thank you for reminding. They were the best!

8. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Chieftain

I think the best system that was scrapped was each citizen having their own individual nationality, and then slowly assimilating. Makes it clear exactly how likely a city will be to revolt.

9. lotrmith

lotrmith Chieftain

I miss automated workers the most.

Hawke9 likes this.
  10. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Warlord

I like civ 5's social policy system more than civ 6's civics system. fewer but more significant policies, and less card game micro

KayAU and Elhoim like this.
  11. Raven_2012

Raven_2012 Chieftain

12. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Embarking at Sailing.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

14. ViterboKnight

ViterboKnight Chieftain

Civ4's colonies: you could colonize an oversea continent and then, in order to cut maintenance cost, you could make it a colony, actually creating a new random civilization under your control (about tech research, tributes, alliances, etc).

15. KGB91

KGB91 Chieftain

I miss the ability to go tall instead of wide.

Sherlock likes this.
  16. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

I always miss this.

lp60068, TrailblazingScot and Elhoim like this.
  17. Snarf054

Snarf054 Chieftain

I still go tall. I rarely have more cities than governors for them and if you give me 4 solid cities I can still win a cultural or scientific victory just takes 3-400 turns. Unless the AI ticks me off I almost never war I just find it boring. Then again I play very different than almost everyone here. I very rarely chop, I don't kill city states, micromanagement is a curse word to me.

Caprikel likes this.
  18. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

Slavery (yes it's evil, but it should be represented in game somehow, many cultures were built on it IRL ...)
    Wild Animal Barbarians

19. Banazir864

Banazir864 Chieftain

This is simple, but the ability to rename your civ and leader. Because sometimes, you want to play as a civ that's not in the game, but lack the skills to make a mod. Being able to choose your colors (beyond the Jersey system) without having to edit the game files would also be nice.

As far as more mechanical features, I always loved Civ IV's government system best. Civ V's doesn't make sense because you don't really switch governments (until you reach the ideologies). Sure, your title changes, but you still keep all of your previous bonuses. Heck, some trees didn't even come with official titles, but just terms like "the Pious" that tell you nothing of government form. Meanwhile, Civ VI's policy cards seem too unimmersive and trivial to adopt and change. Civ IV really felt more like a customizable government, even if not all of the options made sense.

20. alancsilver

alancsilver Chieftain

I just had flashbacks!

MisterBoomBoom likes this.