What if you were Russian in 1942?

Would you still fight?

• Total voters
Sarevok said:
That you would even consider being on the German side sickens me.

Depends really. A lot of people in places like Georgia and the Baltic were very anti-Russian/anti-communist having suffered immensely under Stalin. They had heard almost nothing bad against the Nazis (mostly due to the links between Russia and Germany pre-war) and only knew bad things about Stalin. Under those circumstances it's understandable at least initially to wish to fight with the Germans. Speaking with hindsight of knowledge of German/Nazi actions is all very well and good, but many "Russians" did not have that luxury.

privatehudson said:
Depends really. A lot of people in places like Georgia and the Baltic were very anti-Russian/anti-communist having suffered immensely under Stalin. They had heard almost nothing bad against the Nazis (mostly due to the links between Russia and Germany pre-war) and only knew bad things about Stalin. Under those circumstances it's understandable at least initially to wish to fight with the Germans. Speaking with hindsight of knowledge of German/Nazi actions is all very well and good, but many "Russians" did not have that luxury.
they would, as it fueled what they did when they went into Germany in 1945. :ar15:

Would have had knowledge? Depends on how long they were under German occupation, however someone in 1941 or early 1942 would have had little idea of what Germany was fully capable of, and every idea of what Stalin was capable of. As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

privatehudson said:
Would have had knowledge? Depends on how long they were under German occupation, however someone in 1941 or early 1942 would have had little idea of what Germany was fully capable of, and every idea of what Stalin was capable of. As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:
a few would know, but most would not. It was mainly fighting against them murderous invader rather than for the government. Ive read in books Red army solder accounts saying "The Last thing we thought of was Stalin"

You know something, I really don't know. With the knowledge I have today, I think I'd fight on the winning side, but I guess I'm not supposed to know that by then.

So, assuming I would still be a staunch anti-Communist then as I am today, I would be very tempted to follow the Cossacks and the Hiwis to fight for the Germans. Why? Because I wouldn't know about the crimes committed by the Nazis, and I would see them as fighting communism, which I would gladly. Besides, they look like they're winning. I have no special love for my country, and I'd rather fight for what I think is right than for some insane dictator.
Assuming then that I knew how evil the Germans were, I really don't know. The Russians are no better than the Germans, but as the Germans were the aggressors, I guess I would fight for the USSR.

All-in-all, I'd rather escape to Finland than fight for any of these bastards...

a few would know, but most would not. It was mainly fighting against them murderous invader rather than for the government. Ive read in books Red army solder accounts saying "The Last thing we thought of was Stalin"

I'm not talking about the Russians, I'm talking about the nationalities I mentioned, and for them, fighting against the murderous invader consisted of fighting FOR the Germans. Pleanty of Ukranians and Baltic people's knew very well what the Russians could do and did fight for Hitler. I find it a little arrogant that we can dismiss their reasons as being unfounded given the situation they were in.

Soviet Rodina! Assasi de hui gnom nazist!

Heh

Hitler planned to make the Russians slaves and kill them so the Germans could settle the old Slav lands. Stalin was bad also, but as someone said before, better red than nazi!
________
HotPleasure

I wouldn't have fought for either side. What's the use of fighting for a union that's going to collapse in 40 or so years anyway?

BassDude726 said:
I wouldn't have fought for either side. What's the use of fighting for a union that's going to collapse in 40 or so years anyway?
And how would you know that? :confused: Even then it would be better to fight against the Nazis than not to do anything.

I'd fight for the Soviet Union, because it is likely that

a) You would be shot/sent to a labour or POW camp on capture
b) You'd get recapturead, and the same as above
c) at the end of the war you'd be sent to a labur camp or shot.

I'd fight on the Soviet side. If the Germans captured you, they'd just make you fight for them, and if you were Russian etc then you would not just be defending the state (which you probably didn't like but of course pretended you did), but also you home and family and freinds etc. Plus it would basically be fighting for your life, you wouldn't have had a very high life expectancy upon capture.

ComradeDavo said:
I'd fight on the Soviet side. If the Germans captured you, they'd just make you fight for them, and if you were Russian etc then you would not just be defending the state (which you probably didn't like but of course pretended you did), but also you home and family and freinds etc. Plus it would basically be fighting for your life, you wouldn't have had a very high life expectancy upon capture.

The Russian army didn't have a very high life expectancy either. It was a choice between running towards a machinegun emplacement, or getting a bullet in the back from an NKVD blocking squad.

20 million Soviets died during WWII, compared to the cumulative total of every country in WWI being 16 million.

Za rodinu, tovarischi!! :)

I'd do neither. I would not fight for a specific nation, as they're mere social constructs. Russia was definitely not the epitome of what I'd fight for, and of course I detest Nazism. So, I'd fight for myself, humanity, and the principles that I believe in (namely liberty, equality, fraternity). Perhaps not quite what you were looking for, but I hope it will do.

nonconformist said:
The Russian army didn't have a very high life expectancy either. It was a choice between running towards a machinegun emplacement, or getting a bullet in the back from an NKVD blocking squad.

20 million Soviets died during WWII, compared to the cumulative total of every country in WWI being 16 million.

I believe the survial rate for that generation was what 2% ???
Being given 5 bullets isnt exactly good.

FriendlyFire said:
I believe the survial rate for that generation was what 2% ???
Being given 5 bullets isnt exactly good.
Heck! You were lucky to get a weapon in the early days of the war. Soviet units charged German positions after a rough calculation of how many would get killed. The weapons handed out were rationed to be sufficient for the survivors.

Top Bottom