What is the US up to with regard to Iran?

The failure of the US to effectively intervene does not mean that intervention should not be used.

Idi Amin: The invasion of Uganda by Tanzania in 1979.

Idi Amin invaded Tanzania FIRST, chasing rebel groups led by people like Milton Obote, Yoweri Museveni, and Tito Okello, among others, and including Paul Kagame as Museveni's then chief-of-intelligence, across the border, and then massacred and burnt down a bunch of Tanzanian villages while his forces were there. Julius Nyriere was originally going to let Amin be, but that brutal attack from a neighbouring nation (not a far-away nation, like in a U.S. intervention) was just too much of a provocation too take. Nyriere had no humanitarian goals, or real initial sympathies with the anti-Amin Ugandan rebel groups. Again, let's put things into perspective.

I think you misread my post. I said among the five worst for human rights in the FIRST WORLD (Saudi Arabia, despite it's undeserved and unmeritable affluence from oil money, is NOT a First World Country, and the ONLY Third World Nations I said were better for women's rights specifically were Rwanda and the Philippines - the two top for that status in THE THIRD WORLD. Also, my corruption and transparency claims were again one of the five worst in, you guessed it (or maybe you didn't ) THE FIRST WORLD. Please, read my posts next time.
You call Saudi Arabia thirld world? Well, it seems the internet agrees with you, I stand corrected.

You call Saudi Arabia thirld world? Well, it seems the internet agrees with you, I stand corrected.

Third World Nations are not ALWAYS the ones they show in World Vision and Christian Children's Fund commercials around Christmas while "So This is Christmas," and "Feed the World," play as a sound track to extreme poverty and despair.

Third World Nations are not ALWAYS the ones they show in World Vision and Christian Children's Fund commercials around Christmas while "So This is Christmas," and "Feed the World," play as a sound track to extreme poverty and despair.
Indeed, but I had thought it was:
1st World = Rich Countries in the US sphere of control
2nd World = Countries in Russia's sphere of control
3rd World = Countries in neither sphere of control, which just happened to all be poor.

I would have put Saudi Arabia firmly in 1st world, but I was obviously wrong.

3rd World = Countries in neither sphere of control, which just happened to all be poor.

No, that's a highly over-simplification. But my mother used to believe it, and swear by that, too, so you're not alone.

so... the old order was....
1rst world countries: Free nations
2nd world countries: Evil Commies
3rd world countries: Dirty-poor benchsitters

During the cold war "First World" referred to any country, rich or not, that was within the US/NATO orbit. Second world again referred to any country, poor or not, within the Soviet/Warsaw Pact orbit. There is some ambiguity about the states like China and Yugoslavia which remained Communist while rejecting Soviet alignment. Third World was any country (and indeed, just about all of them happened to be "poor" or undeveloped, what is now called "developing") not falling into one of the other two categories.

Today we don't really talk about Second World, and First World/Third World basically refers to the developed/undeveloped world.

During the cold war "First World" referred to any country, rich or not, that was within the US/NATO orbit. Second world again referred to any country, poor or not, within the Soviet/Warsaw Pact orbit. There is some ambiguity about the states like China and Yugoslavia which remained Communist while rejecting Soviet alignment. Third World was any country (and indeed, just about all of them happened to be "poor" or undeveloped, what is now called "developing") not falling into one of the other two categories.

Today we don't really talk about Second World, and First World/Third World basically refers to the developed/undeveloped world.
Under the cold war definition, would you say Angola switched from 1st world to 2nd world in 1975? I would say that it was a third world country exploited by both.

Under the cold war definition, would you say Angola switched from 1st world to 2nd world in 1975? I would say that it was a third world country exploited by both.

Yeah, I mean, that's fair enough. I don't really use those terms myself. Of course, I was born after the end of the Cold War so....*shrugs*

First and third world are all that I ever came across during the cold war. East and West were also used as were free and communist. Second world is a new term to me.

Even under all these definitions, how is Saudi Arabia 3rd world? It is rich and very much in the US sphere of control.

Even under all these definitions, how is Saudi Arabia 3rd world? It is rich and very much in the US sphere of control.
Saudi Muslims aren't white and Christian? ;)

Government type and social standards of society and legal protections of rights fit into the definition of First World, as well.

Are you saying that the US should unseat Maduro and replace him?

No, I'm saying you should unseat yourselves and let Guaido take over America. Why not, it's the same logic. The US is a big bag of fail as well.

No, I'm saying you should unseat yourselves and let Guaido take over America. Why not, it's the same logic. The US is a big bag of fail as well.

Who is Guaido? If he or she's a legitimate winner of a U.S. election at some point, he's been buried damned well in media and academia...

Putin didn't give permission to unseat anyone for now. Maybe in two years, Guaido will be authorized to try.

I dont think America can survive two more years

I dont think America can survive two more years

The United States (and the world) somehow survived eight years of the Bush Administration, the biggest and worst gang of war criminals in the 21st Century thus far, who should be dragged before a Nuremberg-style tribunal rather than being allowed to comfortably retire. But I think mere survival is not enough. The reputation, integrity, and credibility of American government is further declining and suffering, and the decline of American (and by proxy, most of the world's) civilization into a death spiral to a new global dark age proceeds unabated.

Top Bottom