What is this uhappiness caused by?

Riflin'Joe

Prince
"Buildings and effects that impact all of our cities are annoying us all".

What does this mean? It showed up quite suddenly and its causing major problems.

Crime and disease cause the autobuild of unhappiness producing buildings.

Yep. As your crime levels go up, crime autobuildings emerge (shown under the special buildings tab). Many of those cause a tremendous amount of unhappiness. There's a reason to control crime. Disease usually causes unhealth instead so that's probably not the problem with this BUT if you aren't paying attention to your property control then you may also have some issues there with disease autobuildings.

No, that's "Buildings and effects in this city are directly irritating us."

I'm fully aware of the effects of crime; I've been stomping on it all game. This one is different.

For reference, this is TXT_KEY_UNHAPPY_PLAYER_BUILDINGS (text declared by Global_CIV4GameText.xml, Line 43202). This is used in CvGameTextMgr.cpp, Line 27795.

"Buildings and effects that impact all of our cities are annoying us all".

What does this mean? It showed up quite suddenly and its causing major problems.

You playing with Revolutions On?

JosEPh

It can be from slaves too. And it get's worse with Zoroastrianism and certain civics. Also military buildings cause unhappiness with some civics. Or maybe you've researched ecology and all your hunting camps for various animals are now causing unhappiness.

There are a few crimes that give unhappiness in all cities, not just the city with the crime.

Actually, it was crime. Some cities I captured had such enormous amounts they were creating crimes affecting all cities, as you said. So I abandoned one of them and let it be recaptured, which brought the problem under control, but now I'll have to raze everything, which seems a bit lame.

All this points, I think, to a bigger problem: the AI's inability to cope with the new mechanic.

Have you considered making the more serious crimes require a minimum city size? That way, they would disappear as cities shrank from unhappiness.

I'm finding the AI is quite good at combating crime... usually. I've made the mistake a few times to not send out a LE unit with my settler and have found that the criminal spawns can start sending things out of control in those cities fairly quickly and once that happens it get's economically tough to get back on top of it. The AI may need to be taught to send that initial LE unit. Such a simple thing and yet such a powerful impact if forgotten. Good though for game challenge sake imo.

Actually, it was crime. Some cities I captured had such enormous amounts they were creating crimes affecting all cities, as you said. So I abandoned one of them and let it be recaptured, which brought the problem under control, but now I'll have to raze everything, which seems a bit lame.

All this points, I think, to a bigger problem: the AI's inability to cope with the new mechanic.

Have you considered making the more serious crimes require a minimum city size? That way, they would disappear as cities shrank from unhappiness.

Actually you don't need to raze. Just bring in some LE units as T-brd pointed out and build some of the Fortification buildings and some of the other crime fighting buildings like Scales. Your Crime will start coming down. In conjunction with this build a couple early Education Bldgs too. You want Education to be positive and climbing. Otherwise negative Educ. will only make the crime effects worse.

And the AI does cope. But dependent upon it's Leader (Traits) will use the Gold producing Crime buildings to fund troop building or Research or Culture, etc. The AI rarely gets stymied by runaway crime any more. Unless you have Revolutions On which you do not.

JosEPh

As long as you watch carefully, crime won't be much of a problem. Most of my cities have negative numbers for crime, some of them at -100 or more. And Joe is right. You can keep any city you capture by just building the anti crime buildings and then watch crime plummet and those auto built crime buildings vanish. Actually crime may be a little too easy to get rid of since I can do it without using any law enforcement units at all.

BUT, if you do not watch it, crime will overwhelm you both with unhappiness and wrecking your economy. I found this out the hard way about a year ago, by watching my gold vanish and not knowing why until I happened to check one of my cities out. Crime was up over 200 there, and in my other cities too because until then I never built a single crime fighting building anywhere. Now those buildings are high priority.

Actually crime may be a little too easy to get rid of since I can do it without using any law enforcement units at all.
Sure, but if you're spending all that time building anti-crime buildings before building up food and production buildings then you're slowing the growth curve of the city tremendously, making the use of units to patch over the crime problem until you can get those buildings in place a much preferable strategy for getting those long term gains much sooner.

Sure, but if you're spending all that time building anti-crime buildings before building up food and production buildings then you're slowing the growth curve of the city tremendously, making the use of units to patch over the crime problem until you can get those buildings in place a much preferable strategy for getting those long term gains much sooner.
I try to get at least 1-2 production buildings first and then getting 1 or 2 of the crime buildings. 1 or 2 of the anti crime buildings also give production too so that makes things a little easier. I usually hold off on food until I get crime down and production up.

Hill of Tara is an incredible wonder to get crime under control, and if you can get it it is worth staying in the Chieftain Civic a little longer.

Top Bottom