What is your favorite unit ability/mechanic?

Red Key

Modder
What are your favorite unit abilities and mechanics in FFH2?

For example, one might say I like werewolves because... or flesh golem is interesting cuz... or Loki's abilities are...

I ask because I hope to start a total conversion of FFH2 that won't be bound to the lore and civilizations in FFH2. I will use some of the FFH2 units and/or unit abilities in my mod but not all of them. Your answers will help me when I am designing units for the modmod.

The AC. Nothing else alters the game like the AC and the great thing is it wouldn't show up in every game.

The AC. Nothing else alters the game like the AC and the great thing is it wouldn't show up in every game.

It's annoying when it doesn't show up when you expect/want it to, though.:) In my current game I'm Bannor and I just relented from destroying the Sheaim because they're the only AV civ (though I razed the holy city) and they haven't even brought in the Infernals. In fact, their last city doesn't have a religion, so it might not ever happen (it settled during the war, so it's in the middle of a desert with one population.)

Probably either Aeron's chosen, or Pillar of Fire.

However, I think the "coolest" would likely be the Mimic's ability.

Bannor crusade is a "cool concept" I think, but doesn't tend to work out except for flavorful SP games.

(it can be used for other things, but demagogue spam as the sole goal is certainly not achievable)

For me, Pyre Zombies explosions are cool.
Do not get me wrong, they are PITA when playing against them, but they just make me sweat. And that means it is a cool feature.

I like all the little things such as being able to Gift Vampirism, Brewing Houses giving dwarven units +2 XP, Freaks, Grigori Racial Diversity. Things that are interesting little bonuses or flavor tweaks that you may not really notice unless you're playing the civ that is affected but do provide a different gameplay experience between civs without creating entirely new mechanics.

I think it would have to be the events list, and especially the chain events like the Gaelen chain or the heretic banging on the temple door, specifically because you can play 100 games of FfH and maybe get to see the end of that chain once... or not at all.

The Armageddon Counter is a close second, though. I love it so much, if there's nobody else doing it, I will often divert from my (hopefully) game-winning strategy to pump up the AC for a while just to get my armageddon fix. :lol:

The flavor for each civilization is great. The fact that they all feel and play differently really adds a lot to the game. Especially when you tie in the alignments, with good versus evil actually making a difference (AC).

Mimic's promotion stealing is the most fun for me. I'd go on listing other mechanics I like, but I'd end up retyping the entire manual.
Only thing I don't like is at some point standard size maps started running sluggish for me, so I haven't played in awhile. I do dream of getting a really nice computer for a speedy filled huge game, though. :D

The mechanics around going out and interact with the world. The Grand Menagerie is probably the pre-eminent example.

One thing I liked about Age of Ice was that you obtained luxuries like ivory and silk by interacting with the world too - they were not available "for free" on the map.

Freaks in general. Not so much an 'ability' as how they're built but I love building them and picking and choosing what I want them to grow up to be based on their mutant abilities (and you gotta love when you get one mutated with Strong and Heroic Attack/Defence)

Top Bottom