what is your favorite unit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by wazzzuup, Aug 13, 2012.

1. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

They tend to be there...

2. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

... so we should make our strategy dependant on that .... :crazyeye:

3. kochman

kochman Deity

Start a massive nuclear back and forth to keep them busy...

4. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

singing a song .... I was scrubing on a railroad .... pillaged that one time ... I was scrubing on a railroad ... etc. Seems far-fetched and highly unlikely ... just like I like :D (Gives me some ideas how to :backstab: my friends ^^ ) :mischief: Oh c'mon spies ... don't be shy :D He doesn't see You ^^

5. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

Wait until your spy get tortured and tell that it's you whose behind the plan.:p

6. backthief

backthief Chieftain

An army of Elephants comming at you with Shock.

7. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Fixed. Amphibious is fearsome combined with elephants.

8. jarhead_leif

My WarElephants with mobility and morale. It can outrun and chase your cowardly escaping horsies.:p

9. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Worker that I steal from Barbarians... Don't have to declare war or stop grow any of my cities.. :D

10. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

Barbarians build workers? Is that just on high levels, because I haven't noticed it on Noble or below.

11. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

I have seen how barbarians build workers, improve land, grow cottages up to town (yes, once I got Barb city with town, gems with mine, corn with farm and 1 extra mine on hill..), expand borders, connect 2 cities on same land (yes, worker outside city borders building road to another city) and also build barracks (longbowman that appears after I took out 1, was with promotion already - clear proof about barracks).. :)
    Edit: And its more about map type and size I guess.. On Huge map with some islands that can be settled only after Astro, you will see this situation.

12. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

It happens at any level. If the barb city does not get captured by someone early on, it will produce workers and improve the tiles in its culture area. It is more noticeable on huge maps at marathon speed. The smaller the map and the faster the speed, the less likely that the barb city will exist as a barb city long enough to build workers.

13. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

It's really prevelant on the mod ROM AND, and if you have barbarian world active. In one game I played, I just got astro and was sending out exploratory units. the SE section of the map ( huge, terra) is where I kept losing all of my units. Turns out there was a nice barb empire there of 7 cities, and all of them had some type of improvements. It was a real pain trying to clean them all out while at the same time trying to keep Monty from crashing my Northern border.
    The funny part was, I watched the barbs launch amphib ops against HRE while all this was going on. Barbs on huge worlds and at slow game speeds are definitely dangerous.

14. kochman

kochman Deity

Just to beat a dead horse...
    Yes, barbs build workers to develop their land.

15. elohssa

elohssa Warlord

I dunno about amphibious, but I always thought that giving war elephants the para-drop ability would add a new dimension to the classical age. IMO war elephants should also have 2 Machine-guns (that can also fire missiles) mounted onto their sides.

16. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

CR pikemen are game-changers.

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Tactical Nukes.

But if I don't pick the obvious, then artillery. Sure, rifles/cuir/cavalry are more efficient, but aside from nukes there is nothing more comical than the trashy/can't ever truly defend it/lollerarty. Even end-game units struggle against CR III + CR II (follow-up) arty. Only end-of-tree gunships can flank it (and SAMS which come much earlier hose them). With high CR it blows through tanks, infantry, marines, machine guns, and doesn't even struggle much against mech infantry. It bombards defenses nigh instantly no matter what. It has enough collateral and strength to be a serious threat to stacks in the field too. If the enemy spams tanks, the tech unlocking it also opens up anti-tanks to work into stacks.

Obviously, it doesn't have the insta-kill, gift-trolling (give one to each AI near its opponent's stack and watch as neither side has any units and they both hate each other greatly, while not minding that you gifted the missiles!) stack erasing power of tactical nukes, which are hands-down the most lulzy unit in the game. Still, if you want to get away from the "tech to renaissance and abuse the window" playstyle, few things can match it.

18. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

19. NeverSurrender

NeverSurrender Warlord

Yes indeed badasses all round, so they're probably my faves. Other faves, Jaguars, Conquistadors and Gallic Warriors :)

20. jarhead_leif

Simply scouts...

w Medic III promotion.