What is your view of H.P. Lovecraft?

Kyriakos

Creator
Making full and immediate use of the change in policy, i decided to create a thread here about horror literature ;)

The thread is about one of the main names by now in the literature which usually is termed as horror.

Some background:

Lovecraft was born in Providence, near the beginning of the 20th century. His father was locked in a mental asylum when Lovecraft was still an infant. While in the following years he did enjoy the luxury of reading from his grandfathers large collection of books, in the attic of his first house, the economic disaster which struck that man after a failed buisness project (and his related death soon afterwards) meant that the house had to be sold, and the large library went with it.

Lovecraft was homeschooled, something obviously a lot more common at that time. He appears to have been sunk in a very deep depression for at least fifteen years, during which he made little contact with other people outside of his family. His first published story was at an amateur journal. It was the story titled "Dagon". His main works appeared mostly in the magazine "Weird tales" which had been established at the same time that he - in his thirties - was moving a bit outside of his circle in Providence.

My own view of Lovecraft is formed by reading his letters as well as his stories (i haven't read all of his fiction). He does appear to be one who tried consciously to create a horrific effect, through metaphor and symbol. I would not claim that he was a better writer than his main influence, Poe, but he clearly moved to another direction, and -in the end- provided an entire mythos. My favorite larger work of his is The Rats in the Walls. Some shorter stories are excellent too, Dagon, Music of Erich Zahn, and The Statement of Randolph Carter :)

I enjoyed reading "Mountains of Horror" and "The Case Charles Dexter Ward" alot. They are actually one of his longer stories, and he is able to create a very immersive atmosphere. Most of his shorter stories I didn't like though. It's just that he uses certain adjectives (horrible, terrible, dreadful etc., didn't read it in english though) inflationary, which makes many the phenomena he describes not really special any more.

At the Mountains of Madness remain one of my favorite stories to this day.

The color out of a space was another very good story :)

Still had its own flaws, but a good atmosphere, and afaik the better general (veneer of) scientific setting of any of his stories (mostly because it does not go to detail).

My favourite stories are "The Shadow over Innsmouth" and "The Whisperer in Darkness". I haven't read all his stories though.

Might as well get this out of the way since it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Lovecraft was quite exceptionally racist. Not just to the extent that "everyone" was racist back then, not even just noticeably more racist than the average, but really very racist indeed. So much that a gathering of KKK members might go "whoah, slow down a little" and kind of sneak embarrassedly away from him. And he was racist against basically everyone who wasn't exactly like himself. Nevertheless he was married for a while to a Jewish woman and apparently remained friends with her after they split up as well. People are complicated.

^Indeed. Some of his letters (particularly from the era prior to the weird tales magazine) are quite pronounced in the negative epithets against various people, including from 2/3 of Europe.

Some argue that the alien beings in his stories are at least to a degree linked to those sentiments (without having to be a direct facade of antipathy for other human races).

An interesting 'biography'* (more of a self-reflection, but fun to read) of Lovecraft is the one by a current french novelist, who makes some connections to Celine. But the horrible intro by Stephen King to that biography, almost ruins everything from the start :D

*It is titled: "H.P.Lovecraft: Against the world, against life".

Indeed. Unlike a quasi-contemporary like Tolkien (who suffered from people-at-the-time racism, but was arguably less pronounced about it than many if one read his letters), Lovecraft was a complete bigot.

It's quite likely that, were he alive and pushing an agenda based on his views today (e.g. actively campaigning and funding campaigns for it), I would be refusing to pay for his books to avoid funding the said campaign.

But since dead men have no opinions, I'll take his works on their own merit and not spare much of a thought to the opinions someone held eighty years ago.

;)

Hm, i think that Lovecraft was a decent writer, and one of the few in his era who tried to play with symbols in a conscious level (something which was more or less the norm in the classic literature of the 19th century, and the so-called French Symbolists like Baudelaire). He was very much aware of his own problems as a writer, and himself frequently wrote that he viewed most of his work as a failure. Iirc his favorite short story of his was The Music of Erich Zahn, and "not due to anything it actually has, but due to the (negative) things it does not include". The color out of space seems to have been deemed by him as a good longer work.

Some stories are quite impressive in their vivid tones and smell of decay, as in Rats in the walls, and The Outsider. But he has many negative aspects in his writing as well, and over-use of some rather peculiar and ultimately not useful epithets is not the least of those issues.

I do not view him as one of the very great writers. I think he was probably of a similar stature as one of his main idols, Lord Dunsany (who wrote a few short stories i love, but he had notable failings as well in my view).
Lovecraft's other main literary idol, Poe, probably was the better writer. Poe, if anything, could construct narratives in a number of different dynamics, from an artificial pattern (eg He who was Used Up, or The Masque of Red Death) to guessing tales (murders at the Rue Morgue etc), to the Tell-Tale heart and its focus on Revenge (along with the cask of Amodilado).
Lovecraft did seem to use the same patterns over and over again, along with the main plotlines (alien monsters lurking nearby, people try to avoid them or identify what they are, and so on).

Although Lovecraft is one of the top names in the "Horror" literature genre, in my view there were at least a few others who were as much- if not more- significant for this type of story. Arthur Machen (another of his idols), and before him Guy De Maupassant, the latter being probably the best short story writer of Europe. :)

His stuff was good and ahead of its time. His influence on modern horror (e.g. King) is huge. I do remember reading the occasional weird, possibly super-racist line here and there but I intentionally ignored those occasional stumbles.

Cthulu Fghtyanagh ? hope I got it right . Anyway Dagon and the ancient rulers of earth right ? Cthulu the fish king !? ???? himself ?! About the damned time that damned octopus "so called king" raised from his damend sluber ! :D And so he will gonna rule over us .... dream on You deep sunken octopus buddy , dream on ! :D

Cthulu Fghtyanagh ? hope I got it right . Anyway Dagon and the ancient rulers of earth right ? Cthulu the fish king !? ???? himself ?! About the damned time that damned octopus "so called king" raised from his damend sluber ! :D And so he will gonna rule over us .... dream on You deep sunken octopus buddy , dream on ! :D

'Nobody knows where you are. How near or how far. Dream on you crazy' Cthulhu.

:suicide:

:)

Top Bottom