what level do you play at?

robbus

Warlord
What level do you play at?

After my succession game I have jumped from MONARCH to EMPEROR. It is pretty challenging for me.

I play lately on emperor, I used to play monarch a lot but from few months ago I jumped on emperor level and managed to get a space ship win , if u manage to survive while expanding reasonably and building slowly a large military force till u make it to tanks from there it should be fairly easy cos by then u will have lots of weaker civs after they have been fighting for ages while u were just there trying to survive and u can start further expanding by declaring war on those weaker civs around u , so basically stay out of war as much as u can till u are strong enough and make a lot of money also choosing to play with an agricultural Civ makes the game easier a little

TBH I play my mod lately and it makes the game easier and harder at different parts.
So now I went from Monarch to Emperor. Monarch is too easy once I get rolling.
It's a challenge though, the AI is faster in the techs, so diplomacy and attack strategies are greatly more important.

I won at monarch (domination) but only into 1900's. Last 300 years was basically me transporting units across ocean to defeat another continent.

I dont play much default civ3 by myself. But main difficulty I would say is Emperor, though I could probably increase if I worked at it. I usually play with mods or multiplayer. When I play with another person in default civ3 vs the AI, I usually do not play with high difficulty players, so I tend to play around Regent with them and I restrain myself from using warfare as that just makes it too easy. I hear above Emperor can become rather tedious and preciseness in everything is needed, so its not something I am aspiring to.

I find default civ3 rather lacking and so I tend to work on mods or play mods to add more strategy and other systems.

I don't play consistently enough to really hone my skills. I like playing Regent, where neither the human nor the AI get any bonuses. I need to out-think it, and avoid making any mistakes when moving my troops around. I love playing for Space victories, so that I have lots of intermediate goals: Philosophy slingshot; build both Cope's and Newton's; build ToE and grab the two extra techs; build the UN. I suppose that I'm winning often enough that I could step up a difficulty level, but I need to adjust my RL activities to get more time to play!

The only mod I use consistently is Sn00py's terrain mod. Love the way it looks!

Regent or Monarch. Monarch still gets me so angry sometimes that I don't think I could stand any higher, even after all these years.

Pretty much Emperor all the time. Never won at a higher level, although came close at Demi-God once. Three turns before getting the last SS part Genghis of all people won a cultural(?) victory. Spent 80 hours on it, the longest at any attempt. Maybe someday though...

I'm still struggling at Warlord. I've won three (1 Cultural, 2 Space Race); lost 1 to Conquest; and Retired from most when it became apparent all paths to victory had closed.

Last game (Standard map, 2 Continents), the world was kind of resource-poor, and I couldn't buy Iron to save my life most of the time. No Saltpeter available, either. I was heading for a Cultural victory, but nearly all (I got a couple) Wonders I tried were completed by someone else only a couple turns before I was done, so that stalled. And once I fell behind Scientifically, that was it. Maybe I'll try a similar game next, but I'll see how that goes.

On higher levels I've retired many games after about half an hour or less, or quit after a couple of turns because it's obvious the path the game will take and victory is very unlikely. Like if you start out in some jungle & marsh terrain and the AI is just nearby with green grassland, a river, luxuries...you'll be slogging it out while they out do you and that's just your nearest competitor.

And the really annoying, a large horizontal land mass. I managed to out settle 3 competitors...but no horses...no iron...no one willing to trade..found another land mass, still no resources. I quit after the city I was building my forbidden palace in defected to the French. I was winning the game marginally, but the Dutch had 90% of the wonders and were a bit ahead in science.

Best I've managed on my own was Deity. But that was with my fav civ on Archipelago. And I made all opposing civs non-seafaring. And I did a lot of loading.

I think I can do Demi-God with all civs. But I do mass-regicide which makes the start a lot easier to manage.

- The Computer doesn't expand that fast (Because he wants to make a lot of units to defend his initial kings maybe?)
- You basically get 7 extra Jaguar warrior at the start.
You get a lot of first contact.
And you can pop a lot of goodie huts before the AI gets a chance. On a huge Pangea map you can sometimes get to Medieval Era by almost only popping goody huts.
On emperor and lower that means you can also get a lot of early workers when you pop barbarians near their capitols. For Demi-god they expand too fast most of the times meaning the workers won't hide in the Capitol.
- Those 7 scouts are really nice if there's a chokepoint.

Stronger AI also don't roll over weaker AI in general, because every AI is inclined to guard his/her first 7 cities with around 7 units, so it's harder for the AI to take one of those cities.

Can be a pain to have to take one of those cities yourself though.

All in all I feel it's more fun though, because it keeps the AI strong in the late game. And you have a better chance of getting miltiairy leaders, because the Ai sends so many units at you. And armies are just awesome.

All in all I feel it's more fun though, because it keeps the AI strong in the late game.

This is an important issue about difficulty level. In the unmodified game the steps to Demigod and to Sid are very steep not so much due to long term strenght of AI but because of their additional starting units. One way to deal with this is to strike those additional starting units but reduce the general costfactor by 1.

Monarch: costfactor 8 instead of 9, strike the 3 additional starting units.
Emperor: costfactor 7 instead of 8, strike the 7 additional starting units.
Demigod: costfactor 6 instead of 7, strike the 12 additional starting units.
Deity: costfactor 5 instead of 6, strike the 15 additional starting units.
Sid: strike the 24 additional starting units, keep the costfactor of 4.

I'm just getting back into the game, playing at Regent right now. I'm finding it quite challenging, but I expect that my second game will go a lot smoother. I'm not really thinking about higher difficulties, yet!

I thought I'd already replied to this thread. Is it a duplicate of an older one that dropped off the radar?

Oh well, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but:

I still like Regent mostly. Regent is what the game classes as "normal", so playing less feels like I'm not playing properly and playing higher feels like pointless self-masochism. And for my style of play, Regent offers me everything I want from the game, that is, the building aspect. I basically treat the game like a building sim/game where the AI's job is to provide a sort of Barbarian-like hindrance rather than the threat of a game-over. Just something to keep me on my toes and push me a bit harder than simply building all-Workers.

Unfortunately, Regent can seem a tad too easy at times and it's a bit harder to motivate one's self to keep at it when it gets to the pressing end-turn a lot in the latter stages of the game, but I've found I still prefer this kind of repetitive action to the even more tedious repetition of cleaning 20 pollution squares every turn or firing 100 artillery rounds every turn. So occasionally I've dipped into Monarch and Emperor for some more intense victories, but I usually revert back to Regent for my normal preferred pace. I even like to go for a Sid every now and then, reload until I start alone on a small island, fill all my coastal-border squares with one warrior, then click end-turn until an AI gets some random victory, but just to remind me why I prefer Regent really.

I'd say 70% Regent, 10% Monarch, 19% Emperor and 1% Sid.

This is an important issue about difficulty level. In the unmodified game the steps to Demigod and to Sid are very steep not so much due to long term strenght of AI but because of their additional starting units. One way to deal with this is to strike those additional starting units but reduce the general costfactor by 1.

Oooh how do I adjust those things. Sounds nice.

Usually Emperor, but I also tend to abandon games somewhere between early middle ages to middle industrial ages. Emperor is kind of the early stages of needing to leverage the AIs' advantages through trade brokering and short strategic wars.

Oooh how do I adjust those things. Sounds nice.

You create a scenerio in the editor. Enable changed rules, go to the window for rules changes and there into the tab of difficulty settings. Strike the additional starting units and reduce the cost factor for monarch to deity by 1 each. Save the scenario and load it in the game.

Top Bottom