1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Mods do you want to see come out first?

Discussion in 'CivBE - Requests and Ideas' started by gunnergoz, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

sounds like a Touhou mod

2. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Or the Buck Rogers remake from a few years back... :crazyeye:

3. Callonia

Callonia Chieftain

The mod in my sig!

Cuz firaxis maps tend to be bit bland and too predictable.

4. Cole98

Cole98 A History Nerd

A Halo: Jovian Moons mod would be interesting

5. m15a

m15a Chieftain

I agree with civ'ed. The lack of space maidens is a big oversight.

6. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Needs More JPG

Mods that improve the AI, or that add more units. Even better, a mod that splits affinities into two subaffinities, for instance:

Harmony:
    1. Mutated units, uses genetically enhanced/mutated soldiers that are fairly unpredictable. Their soldiers gain offensive bonuses the more units there are next to them that isn't the same type as the soldier gaining the bonuses.

(Unpredictable meaning due to unstable mutations, they gain minor bonuses in certain situations like in forests, while beside a canyon, fighting against a city etc.)

2. Alien swarms, selective breeding done to pre-existing alien creatures to make them stronger. Zerglike, and have the ability to spread a miasma-dependant creep-like substance that improves tile yields while preventing improvements from being built on opponent's terrain.

Supremacy:
    1. Massive war machines like the current ones and several unique humanoid mecha generals of which only one can exist in any given civilization at a time, but they grant various combat bonuses to units surrounding them in a radius much like boosted great generals.

2. Completely AI civilizations that rely on swarms of nanobots and the ability to combine certain weak soldiers into increasingly powerful 'armies' that gain extra health and a little raw strength, example:

Two Tier 1 swarms combine to make a Tier 2 swarm, which then combines with another Tier 1 swarm to make a Tier 3, which combines with another Tier 3 to make Tier 6 which is the highest possible. They start out at 2 being the maximum, but with certain techs can increase that to 6.

Purity:
    1. Human-based armies with a mix of heavy artillery that can't completely kill enemies and soldiers that mop up heavily weakened-by-artillery soldiers with ease.

2. Purely offensive armies with more raw strength, but not a lot of specialization.

7. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

64 bit has been the way to go for over a decade now. No one that games is still on a 32 but CPU, and 64 bit allows programs to utilize much more CPU and RAM resources.

Though this isn't something that can be nodded, I still don't get why developers continue making 32 bit games. The 4 Gb ram limit alone of 32 bit has hampered what game engines could be capable of today.

8. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

My suspicion is that they continue to bring out 32-bit games because there are still a lot of potential buyers who are using 32-bit systems. This sort of thinking asks, "Why lock yourself out of half a market?" It is aiming for the lowest common denominator, of course, but in some minds, profits demand it.

9. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

No really, half the market does not use 32 bit still. Its likely around 5-10%.

And that's the dummies with a 64 bit CPU running a 32 bit OS. There's no excuse for it, CPUs have been 64 bit since the Pentium 4 / Athlon 64.

And people who actually still have a 32 bit CPU do not have the system specs to play any game from the last 5 years anyway. Its a pointless defense thinking that anyone is still using 32 bit CPUs, they are absolutely ancient and long dead now.

10. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

FWIW a report on dailytech.com back in April of this year referenced a recently released study that 25% of PC's were still running Win XP.

I'm not arguing that its not time to go to 64-bit, because I think it is, - I'm only saying that corporate CEO's hate to give up some portion of a market if they can avoid it, and that is why the industry persists in releasing 32 bit products. Profits will be milked from this segment of the market until enough companies are willing to leave people with obsolescent machines behind.

I'm on your side and all for 64-bit progess, but you did ask why developers still brought out 32-bit games and I was simply giving you my best guess about it. I'd love for an industry insider to step into the discussion any time and tell us the real scoop. Is it more expensive to program for 64-bit than for 32-bit? I don't actually know, but my guess is that money has something to do with it because it usually does in today's world.

11. Kalina

Kalina Just lurking...

Civ:be requires dx10/11. Doesn`t it mean it won't run on win xp anyway ?

12. cazaderon

cazaderon Chieftain

A version of CIV enhanced UI for BE.

Definitely my #1 wish

13. omniclast

omniclast Chieftain

^ Enhanced UI, yes please. Some extra panes like enhanced demo and global relations would also be handy.

I'm guessing that a lot of the core mechanics mods we're used to will work with some trivial tweaking. Many of WHoward's DLL-based mods will probably be viable (including the ones that break 1UPT, city working range, NMCTJ, no unit melee movement out of cities after attack)

There was a long thread about ocean tilesets and cities. That would be really cool, but it would take a lot of design work. Probably would need to be a DLC.

Really though there's not much to work with yet. The best mods all came out after GK/BNW, when there were significantly more mechanics to tweak. Although I can imagine people will come up with some really neat uses for the orbital layer and covert ops mechanics.

14. rawrkitty

rawrkitty Chieftain

a magical mod that allows multiplayer play with mods enabled with out using PBEM :p

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Yes, Firaxis is seeing the light and moving towards modern hardware and OS standards, but the question asked was why developers have continued to push 32-bit products on the market. I am guessing it is about production expense vs. short term profits, since that is how many short-sighted investors think nowadays...and corporate CEO's have to pay attention to what their investors want, even more than what the consumer wants. (Just ask Dilbert, the comic book character :D )

16. Lord of Harmony

Lord of Harmony Chieftain

Natural Wonders!!!

17. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

I'd like to see a mod that makes affinities more meaningful outside of military and visuals. I'm thinking of something like civ5 beliefs, where there are pools of affinity-bonuses: early-affinity (level 1 and 3), mid-affinity (level 6 and 9), late-affinity (level 11 and 13). There would be different pools for each affinity of course, and like c5's religion, each can only be chosen once. Perhaps also you'd only be able to get one choice per affinity level, so you couldn't rush to all the affinity's level one for three bonuses, eg, you'd just get the one bonus for level one no matter how many affinities you have level one in.

(I wonder if this wasn't the plan originally given the early reports of "faith" and "religion" in the game. If it was, I wonder why it was dropped.)

I think it would be fun and also make for even more varied game-play!
    Anyone else think this would be fun?
    Anyone like to volunteer to create the mod for me?:D

18. BrotherAriman

BrotherAriman Chieftain

I'd like for units to have faction based colored elements rather than them all being red. I'm fine with the yellow and green for supremacy and harmony as they are movign away from their roots but it would be nice to have purity maintain color differences as well.

19. Mjalnar

Mjalnar Kitten Arsonist

Some ideas I have for mods once modding becomes available. (Most names just temporary, thought up on the spot. Open to new suggestions which fit the idea)

1. Weimar Colonies - Production-based civilization. Representing the Germanic countries, coming from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc.
    2. Nordic Union - Culture-based civilization. Representing Scandinavia. Most likely having an ability about virtues,
    3. British Expeditionary Force (BEF) - Economic-based civilization. Representing the British Isles. A revival of the British Empire, bringing back the trade efficiency of the Old Empire.
    4. New Orient - Science or Econimic-based civilization. Representing Japan. An ability relating to creating units and buildings only invented recently.. Not sure.
    5. The Tenth Crusade - Military-based Civilization - Representing the Vatican and Christianity. An ability which either links military achievements to culture and virtues or helps with aggression towards aliens.

Feel free to suggest additions, improvements or corrections could be interesting to see what people want to see in CivBE

20. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder