[BNW] What mods should a newbie use?

Darkstar1

Chieftain
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to civ 5 (BNW), played a couple games so far. As far as I can see, it's a great game, only problems that are immediately apparent to me is AI in combat and that diplomacy is over simplistic. So, I decided to wade into the world of mods and there are really a lot of great options. But, I was unsure on what mods to actually use to enhance my playing experience in the long term. I would greatly appreciate an experienced player giving any advice.

To summarize, these are the options I'm contemplating.

a) play the game as it is, without any mods for a while. Add mods to gameplay, gradually as I gain experience
b) use a few specific mods - Smart AI + CSD/C4 Diplo mod
c) Use the full community patch with all it's components. IMO, the changes look quite radical, is this best enjoyed by an experienced player seeking a fresh game experience?
d) Combined Civilization's Mods and Tweaks (CCMAT)

With regards to smarter AI, I'm in a bind over what mod is the best - "Smart AI" or "Artificial Unintelligence". Otherwise, are the AI components in community patch sufficient?

Thanks in advance :)

a) play the game as it is, without any mods for a while. Add mods to gameplay, gradually as I gain experience
b) use a few specific mods - Smart AI + CSD/C4 Diplo mod
c) Use the full community patch with all it's components. IMO, the changes look quite radical, is this best enjoyed by an experienced player seeking a fresh game experience?
d) Combined Civilization's Mods and Tweaks (CCMAT)

A) You shouldn't play the game without any mods that is. You'll find it lackluster and bug-filled.
B) If you want, I suppose. Make sure you know what you're exactly combining since both are DLL mods.
C) That's probably +1. It's like a new unofficial expansion pack.
D) If you want.

A) You shouldn't play the game without any mods that is. You'll find it lackluster and bug-filled.
B) If you want, I suppose. Make sure you know what you're exactly combining since both are DLL mods.
C) That's probably +1. It's like a new unofficial expansion pack.
D) If you want.

Played with the full community patch including the CBO initially and the game looked really complex. Then I switched to using the core community patch alone plus RED and things look so much better now. Even as a newbie. I can clearly see the improvements to gameplay.

I noticed on your profile that you are one of the peeps who work on the CP - I'd like to say, great work!

CP only
JFD's Rise to Power, Cultural Diversity, Cities in Development, and Exploration Expanded

Checked out JFD's civs and it was an incredible collection. I'm impressed that civ5 has such a dedicated community. Thanks for the information!

Top Bottom