1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What other games do you play?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kullervo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

Its nothing personal, blame the developers! :p

If they placed Crysis in Australia instead, i'd still be teaching my neighbours what's for! :lol:

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Highly recommended to all TBS fans:

SILENT STORM GOLD - WWII tbs in the xcom/jagged alliance mold but with an awesome graphics engine. Made in 2004

Other games - playing now or have played:

Medieval 2: TW
    Empire/Napoleon TW
    AOEIII
    all Prince of Persias
    Mass Effect 1/2
    NWN 2
    Tomb Raiders
    The Longest Journey/Dreamfall
    Half-Life 2 (only real FPS I got into)
    Gothic III
    Soldiers: Heroes of WWII/Men of War
    Desperados 1 &3 /Helldorado (Desperados I: Wanted Dead or Alive is on par with CIV4 and Silent Storm as my favorite games ever)
    Commandos 2 & 3
    Mount & Blade (awesome indie - best medieval combat ever)
    Dawn of War I (I have DOWII but can't really get into it)

3. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

Rise of Nations
    Total War: Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Pokemon
    Final Fantasy 1,5
    Super Smash Bro. Brawl
    Star Wars Battlefront 2
    Tetris

Only games I played, went away from, and could still play after month or more. Outside of BTS 3.19 civ, and FfH2.

4. Pacifist46

Pacifist46 King

Here's an interesting assortment of my favourite games

-Rome Total War
    -Ahriman's Prophecy, Laxius Power I, II, III (these are free rpg downloads but quality games with many hours of gameplay, a bit old school perhaps).
    -AOE III+1st expansion
    -Empire Earth II + Art of Supremacy Expansion (don't get EE3, it's RUBBISH!:mad: EE2 is a bloody quality game though.)
    -Pirates! (second version)
    -Monkey Island (woo! Contrary to popular opinion I like 4 the best)
    -Chessmaster 9000
    -Civ 1-4 of course (and the newest Colonization)
    -Speedy Eggbert 1 and 2 + Spooky Castle (the original egames version)
    -Worms 3D (I actually prefer this to the 2D versions)
    -SimCity 3000 UK Edition (far better than SimCity 4 which makes you do all those pointless quests every five minutes to stay fiscally afloat)
    On Xbox 360 I play PES occasionally, also I enjoyed Fable II (RPG games are my favourites).

One thing I don't play is any of the mindless hordes of shootemups or FPSs that seem to dominate the console markets and require absolutely no brain power whatsoever. Most of my mates play CoD and I take the piss whenever I can :D.

5. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

That was my first TBS... I have very fond memories of it. If you like that you should try Galactic Civilizations 2.

My favs on PC:
    KOTOR 1 & 2 I still play when I want some good old jedi frying baddies action
    CIV 4 BTS
    Morrowind
    Star Wars Battlefront 2
    Call of Duty 2
    GalCiv 2
    Neverwinter Nights
    X3 Reunion

On my Wii, the only game that really matters...
    Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

6. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

Atm I only play this and team fortress 2

7. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I'm originally a so called "console gamer" and only used PC to play civ. Right now on my PS3 I have CoD: WaW, CoD: mw2 and Bad Company 2. While it might look like I'm a fps freak I'm not really. It's just that I don't like "expendable" or "play trough once and no much of use afterwards" kinda games, so I tend to either avoid them or sell them if I happened to buy it hoping for a good lasting gameplay :gripe:.
    As I'm very much disappointed in console game industry right now (mostly because they fail to provide a good quality lasting replayable gameplay), I abandoned console for now.

On my PC, besides the obvious BtS, I have civ3 complete which I accidentally bought on steam, Alien swarm, Anno 4 (very annoying game), Crysis Warhead (borrowed from my friend just to try out my new video card, couldn't care less otherwise) and Modern warfare 2 which I got for free with the new video card (video card not free:)) as part of the deal.

So I, a :):):):):) console gamer finally got to play fps multiplayer (mw2, which own on ps3, stopped playing that crap 3 months ago or so) with the "real" pros on PC :lol:. After all the crap I heard from buddies and people who play PC, especially this one "hardcore PC fan defender of the faith" guy about how console fps players are crap (like anyone cares :sleep:), how PC gamers are better and how a common PC player will rape my arse :rolleyes:. While I never denied it, the logic behind this is astonishing :rolleyes: (considering that it's exactly the same what happens to dedicated PC gamers who try a console match, as in they get raped).

So I tried that crap game and surprise surprise, after a couple of games adapting, it's the same game as before :p didn't do any worse or better than on a console, actually even raped people in a couple of games via bringing some tactics from console matches, which PC players weren't used to it seems :lol:.

But I got a little off topic I think, no one cares about my rants anyway. :sad:

8. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Europa Universalis.

I also played EVE for the longest time.

9. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Heroes of Newerth is the only other PC game I play relatively frequently.

10. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

At the moment I actively play Civ 4 and World of Warcraft, though my interest in WoW has been somewhat limited recently.

As for games I own, my collection isn't that big, but I do have a few that have already been mentioned such as Neverwinter Nights (played for 2 - 3yrs), a lot of C&C titles from my RTS days, and Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 to name a few.

11. da dick

da dick Warlord

i used to play dawn of war. does that make me a philistine? i still enjoy various custom maps on WC3:frozen throne. and mechwarrior 4: mekpak.

the only other turn-based strategy game i still play(on and off) is langrisser ii.

12. reverend oats

reverend oats King

Loves me my RPG's, both J and W. Classics like Baldur's Gate for the latter, Persona and other Megaten games in the former.

Other strategy games like Fire Emblem and before Ensemble went under the AoE series.

13. Kullervo

Kullervo Mahler/Sibelius Freak

Wow, so many games... :crazyeye:

What really interests me, though, is the genres... am I correct in assuming that almost all of them are FPS's? And other strategy games?

14. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

I also got back into Nemesis of the Roman Empire, and have been playing Empire at War for a while now to.

15. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

Seems like there are a lot of RPG's as well as FPS and RTS for genres. One genre that has been regrettably absent in the last decade is space fight combat sims. The last really good one that was pure combat was Wing Commander Prophecy. Unfortunately my disk got scratched 5 years ago. I haven't found a good one since. X3 Reunion comes close, but with some much empire management, it sometimes feels too much like Civ when all I want to do is blow up some aliens.

16. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

My meager list includes:

- Civ4
    - Galactic Civ 2
    - Sins of a Solar Empire (Sort of too much like GalCiv2, really)
    - Hoyle Card and Puzzle games
    - Doom (the original) for taking out frustrations
    - Visual C++ 2005 :crazyeye:
    - More Doom as a result of the Visual C++ :lol:

I used to really enjoy the old D&D type games, but I stopped after Baldur's Gate. I got tired of continually having to find the Elven Boots, the Magic Hat, the three tailed cat, and then trying to figure out how to save the world in every new game. :rolleyes:

17. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I didn't know you were a C++ coder Lemon.

Code:
    class ParadigmShifter
    {
         friend class Lemon;
    };

That means I can touch your private parts now.

EDIT: Or it would if I had a pointer or reference to an instance of class Lemon or a function taking a Lemon argument.

18. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

-Civ4
    -Go

19. ElMikkino

ElMikkino Warlord

I play these games regularly:

Civ4 (but only Civ Gold and FFH2)
    Rome Total War
    RTW Barbarian Invasion
    Europa Universalis III HTTT
    Medieval II Total War

I also play FIFA 10 on my PS3.

20. Countmonte8242

Countmonte8242 Warlord

Don't really play anything regularly now... waiting for Civ 5.

Rarely will hop on an Everquest Emulator server, WoW's older, less socially ******** brother.

Even more rarely will hop on a friend's WoW account for a bit to talk to people, do a BG, and remember how much I hate that game now.

Some Warhammer Online if I feel like partaking in huge chaotic brawls.

Spades and Hold'em online.