• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped KCD like a hot potato when I got a perma-death 20 minutes into the tutorial, forcing me to restart from the beginning.

Yeah, KCD is an astoundingly impressive game with a clear vision and I totally understand why some people love it, but it also has enough of the EuroJank found in the Gothic and Spiders games (like Greedfall) to turn some people off.

I dropped KCD like a hot potato when I got a perma-death 20 minutes into the tutorial, forcing me to restart from the beginning.

How did you get permadeath unless you purposely checked it when starting a game? The game autosaves quite frequently at quests.

Hehehe. Looks like the game really is divisive.

3. Practice your archery a lot before going on the hunting quest. Trying to complete it running down fuzzy and cuddly forest creatures instead of just shooting them is incredibly tedious.

The first time I tried to play the game (in xbox one X, I'm not counting my first PC attempt in which a bug used to drop my framerate to about 2/3 per second, making it unplayable), I run into a lot of tedious or unwinnable struggles because I went a lot out of the beaten path, As I usually like to try exploring and taking care of sidequests before ending an area. This time I'm trying to follow the main quest more in order to try to diminish the odds of that happening, and so far it is working; but because of that I stumbled on the hunting quest when I had just the opening archery tutorial and it failed me before I could fire a single arrow (didn't realize that you primed the bow with the same trigger used to fire at the time). Even then, I managed to kill 3 hares and win the bet. Not sure how, though...

4. Install a mod that lets you create saves whenever you want without expensive single-use items. There are a couple quests that come at you early in the game where you will die.

That one is curious. I'm playing in normal difficulty (no mods) and it is allowing me to save whenever I want. I always head about the need for the Saviour Schnaps, but so far, no need. Perhaps they changed it with the last patch?

If so, the alchemy skill might have lost a lot of it's relevance...

I just couldn't get into the game. The fact you never knew what the game might throw at you, such as a surprise multi-person fight, made it so I wasn't so much playing and enjoying the game but figuring out what quests I could do to level myself up and get better gear. The devs tried really hard, but unfortunately the game was just a bit too hard and impenetrable for me.

One of the things that pissed me off at first attempt was that obtuse lockpicking minigame that put me in failing states before I could even get any practice (and load times on the Xbox one X were - again - atrocious). Anyway, I'm using the simplified lockpicking (that is still pretty bad) now, and this time I progressed much farther than before (still in the second part of the hunting quest). So far, still very interested in the game, when I find a couple of hours to play. Let's see how long it lasts...

So I decided to build a coliseum in Fallout 4. Put cages inside it to trap gunners, deathclaws etc.

Turns out there's a build limit and I hit it. No flood lighting, less seating etc.

20230623_112013.jpg

Not surprised. I've heard you get lag and crash issues though.
probably when you overdo it.
Like "I built an entire cyberpunk city with 50 million pieces on top of Sanctuary hills and it crashed for some reason......"

probably when you overdo it.
Like "I built an entire cyberpunk city with 50 million pieces on top of Sanctuary hills and it crashed for some reason......"

Yeah I'm on Xbox and it struggkes with downtown Boston and some locations built up.

So I decided to build a coliseum in Fallout 4. Put cages inside it to trap gunners, deathclaws etc.
Turns out there's a build limit and I hit it. No flood lighting, less seating etc.

There is a command line for increasing that, as well as a mod

That one is curious. I'm playing in normal difficulty (no mods) and it is allowing me to save whenever I want. I always head about the need for the Saviour Schnaps, but so far, no need. Perhaps they changed it with the last patch?

If so, the alchemy skill might have lost a lot of it's relevance...

IIRC it still consumes the Schnapps, you just don't see it. Once you get a bit drinking skill, it shouldn't even be intoxicating you enough.

Alchemy is still relevant even without it. Some quests can't be successfully finished without it, gives you easy access to potions and poisons (going all out poisoned blade/arrow isn't possible without it as they're rare to buy) and it's an easy route to money.

I'm not sure if anyone here besides @Sommerswerd plays The Long Dark, but I've just read about a couple of deadly bugs: First, the special bunkers that are part of the Signal Void story are actually accessible without using the special radio receiver. However, if you enter these bunkers without it, you'll be unable to access the story's final bunker, even if you then have the radio. Should you happen to find one randomly, without using the radio, don't enter it. You can tell these bunkers apart from the regular ones because their hatches don't appear visually, they're hidden and they won't appear on your sketch-map until you find them (so you'd really have to stumble over them - I didn't even know that was possible, it must be incredibly rare). Second, the new DLC has introduced fishing traps that you can place over holes in the ice and then walk away from. Kind of like rabbit snares. Don't use them yet. Evidently, if you place one of these fishing traps and then enter a building, you'll be unable to exit that building. The game will say "unable to load save file" and boot you back to the main menu. There are a number of other bugs with the recent update - people's Fishing Skill isn't progressing, for instance - but I think these two are the only ones that seem to break your game/run/savefile.

I disagree on 4. Saviour Schnapps is easy to make once you get basics in alchemy, isn't THAT rare, and IMO enhances the game because it makes you think twice about the saving for the purpose of saveloading, as it makes you tipsy, which can be in some situations detrimental. IMO it's a good design, although as you become more proficient in drinking and alchemy, the drawbacks will not hinder you in any way.
On 3., if you want to practice, grab the best bow you can handle and go play Chumps in Ledechko. You can wade a bit into the river, giving you advantage, and it nets a lot of archery XP if you win.

I ended up dumping KCD over the saving limitations. During the initial stages they were problematic but tolerable if I happened to have a long bit of time I could be reasonably sure I'd be uninterrupted. However after a certain point the game became noticeably buggier (you could literally pinpoint where in the main quest they ran out of time to polish it in the initial release). Having a quest break, costing at least an hour of progress is bad enough by itself. Having this happen repeatedly resulted in me very quickly rage-uninstalling the thing, and I wouldn't pick it up again if you paid me.

Screwing around with the save function tends to ignore that people have real life limits on their time, and also greatly reduces how tolerable bugs/glitches are. KCD really needed to make the save limits optional from the word go.

I'm still going back to playing Fallout 4, but my game is so heavily modded at points it may not even look like Fallout 4 any more.

Attachments

• 20230426184100_1.jpg
    20230426184100_1.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 9
So my arena in FO4 was a bit of a dud. But I used a vertibird to return to Starlight Drive through from the airport.

My gunner cages were full though and they were linked up to a switch. Flick that button.

And out come 5 over leveled gunners with plasma rifles and assault rifles. They have skulls above their heads.

No problem grenade time. Kmmn used most of them at fort strong 1 left. Wrong gun selected they tank the damage.

Those turrets I wanted to build. Build limit. Double shot plasma gun low ammo.

T-51f power armor holds up OK. My health bar doesn't. Dead.
Reload.

Disband some stuff, stock up on grenades. Build turrets rematch. Even throw in some frag mines.

Well they tank the mines My health gets chewed apart my turrets get disabled.

I resort to being up high using cover. The spectator stands proved useful. Lobbed multiple grenades into the arena.

Victory. Hang on ones left and I'm low on health. Jetpack. Settlers turned up and started getting in on it. My primary settlement I've equipped the settlers with plasma rifles, combat rifles and minimums. These putz have pipe guns.

The last Uber gunner tanks all that but is low on health so I zip in using vats and put two bursts into him theoretically finishing him.

Except he tanks that as well. Commando build automatic two shot fully upgrade plasma gun. And I'm low on health.

Pray and spray hold the button down. Final burst of automatic fire puts him down.

Need to find a spare settlement and try deathclaw cages. 5 of them. Last time got a mythic deathclaw in one (level 39ish). Level 45 now.

Yeah I'm on Xbox and it struggkes with downtown Boston and some locations built up.
I played F4 on PC, but I also had framerate problems while in the city. In some places, it was completely unplayable, and I just had to avoid those locations entirely on my first playthrough. iirc, there was something about the fires. Maybe the shadows they cast? There was something about the fires you could adjust in the settings, and my framerate problems vanished almost completely. This was years ago, so I can't remember what it was exactly, but I'm sure a Google search would turn it up. It really was just one setting that did it (and, to my memory, it didn't negatively impact the visuals much at all).

I played F4 on PC, but I also had framerate problems while in the city. In some places, it was completely unplayable, and I just had to avoid those locations entirely on my first playthrough. iirc, there was something about the fires. Maybe the shadows they cast? There was something about the fires you could adjust in the settings, and my framerate problems vanished almost completely. This was years ago, so I can't remember what it was exactly, but I'm sure a Google search would turn it up. It really was just one setting that did it (and, to my memory, it didn't negatively impact the visuals much at all).

I ended up dumping KCD over the saving limitations. During the initial stages they were problematic but tolerable if I happened to have a long bit of time I could be reasonably sure I'd be uninterrupted. However after a certain point the game became noticeably buggier (you could literally pinpoint where in the main quest they ran out of time to polish it in the initial release). Having a quest break, costing at least an hour of progress is bad enough by itself. Having this happen repeatedly resulted in me very quickly rage-uninstalling the thing, and I wouldn't pick it up again if you paid me.

Screwing around with the save function tends to ignore that people have real life limits on their time, and also greatly reduces how tolerable bugs/glitches are. KCD really needed to make the save limits optional from the word go.

I don't recall any crashing in quests...what platform and version were you playing? I got it on PC about a year ago, so it was patched...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom