What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory - Interloper. Day 67. Timberwolf Mountain.

A successful bear hunt last night, aside from losing an arrow. I found its cave and shot it in the [caboose], which caused it to run off. I didn't feel like chasing, so I just explored the area around its cave and waited for it to come back. I shot it again from a distance, but went a little long and the arrow landed in its back instead of its head. This time it charged. Shot it again, but hit its shoulder. It got to within about 10'/3m before I finally hit it in the face. So 4 arrows. 'Not great, not terrible.' That first arrow must have fallen out while it was running, 'cause I only recovered 3. I'll have to go looking for that. I think I saw which way it ran. I came here with 20 arrowheads, so losing one isn't the end of the world, but still.

Anyway, it took me three days to get all the useful parts of the bear back to the cabin, but I think it was worth it. I'm thinking a bearskin coat will give me more working time in the mornings. As it is, in -45 temps I can barely do anything before I have to run back to the cabin. The bearskin coat is warmer than the wolfskin coat, at the cost of more weight (11lbs! single heaviest piece of clothing in the game, iirc). So maybe I can wear the bearskin in the mornings, then swap it for the wolfskin in the afternoons.

But it takes almost 2 weeks for a bearskin to cure, so I have to think about what to do in the meantime. I'm starting to think seriously about going to Ash Canyon, which is right next door, to get the Technical Pack before I head up to the summit of T'Wolf Mtn. Ash Canyon was tough on Stalker, but I'm better equipped than I was that time. There are a couple of cargo bins here I can still reach without too much trouble, so it's probably worth opening those before I go anywhere else. There's one of those new stashes down in the canyon cave. Hopefully that'll have something useful. (What do they call those? 'Mementos'?) I also haven't spotted any sign of a moose here. If I do, it'll be worth putting off the trip to Ash Canyon. Best-case scenario, I get the Technical Pack, make a moosehide satchel, and get Well Fed before heading up the mountain. Also, it'd be nice if the temp was around 50 degrees, the sun was shining, and Betty Gilpin came to hike up with me. Y'know, to help me carry stuff. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! :thumbsup:

Also, it'd be nice if the temp was around 50 degrees, the sun was shining, and Betty Gilpin came to hike up with me. Y'know, to help me carry stuff.
:lol: :lmao: :rotfl:

"And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony..."

It's funny because I almost added to my post: If I ever direct a horror film, I will give the title and then add "IV," making people think it's already an established franchise and they just missed the first three installments. A horror film specifically, because they routinely go into numbered series.

I see I've been anticipated in that plan by a candidate for the worst movie ever made.

My other idea would be to give it its title and then say "I," gesturing toward the fact that these things always do go on to part 2 and 3 and 4, and that the first one is retrospectively referred to as "I," even though it wasn't so at the time.

I will, in fact, never direct a horror film, so no one need really worry about my titling plans.

It's funny because I almost added to my post: If I ever direct a horror film, I will give the title and then add "IV," making people think it's already an established franchise and they just missed the first three installments. A horror film specifically, because they routinely go into numbered series.

I see I've been anticipated in that plan by a candidate for the worst movie ever made.

My other idea would be to give it its title and then say "I," gesturing toward the fact that these things always do go on to part 2 and 3 and 4, and that the first one is retrospectively referred to as "I," even though it wasn't so at the time.

I will, in fact, never direct a horror film, so no one need really worry about my titling plans.
The Velocipastor is proof that anyone can direct a horror film... so... never say never ;)

Dude went to the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan! He's not an anyone; he's a cinematic someone.

You don't need any pedigree to direct a film like that. Watch it and tell me if it anything about it says "a 'cinematic someone' directed this"...

On second thought... don't watch it. :nope: It's not worth it and I'd rather you doubt what I'm saying than subject yourself to that film at my behest, just to prove a point.

He may well have made a bad film. All I'm saying is that, cinematically speaking, he's not an "anyone" in the way I am. He's a filmmaker!

But, when I think about it, you're actually correct. I might someday make a film. The only thing that makes me say that is that I have no training in music and I once wrote a song. It just came to me. Now the lyrics part, that's just like the poetry that I write all the time. But the music. Tune that fit the hook just popped into my head.

Anyway, when I get a creative prompting, I follow it out. So who knows that I won't someday come up with some film I want to direct . . .

Velocirabbi . . .

Spoiler :
IV

Last edited:
In the past month, I have played:

1. Vampire Survivors. I saw a friend stream this a few months back and decided to get it on sale in November, but only started playing after Christmas Eve. It's pretty fun and adapts to my style of playing well. I got a few other games in the same style that I've yet to try.

2. Warframe. I can't really recommend this game. It requires a lot of (boring) grinding, and it's just frustrating to play.

3. Call of Duty: Warzone 2. I play this with a streamer friend. It's alright. I would never play this alone, though. And my internet stability leaves a lot to be desired.

4. Theresmore. It's a browser idle game. It's been a while since one of these has sparked my attention. It's quite fun and you constantly feel like you're making progress.

5. Coloring Pixels. It's a free game about colouring in pixels. Nothing to it except that.

Master of Magic Remastered - Disappointing. I was hoping it would be base game + Caster of Magic and plus some modern features. Definitely not worth $51 CAD

Fire and Dice - Fun dice game, where you play as a dragon and have to fend off waves of enemies.

Killer Instinct - Normally I don't play fighting games. But I am really enjoying KI. Too bad its multiplayer is kinda of dead.

So the other day TLM Games announced they're working on Heroes & Generals 2 and will be launching a kickstarter campaign to get funding.

If you're not familiar with Heroes & Generals it's currently a MMO/FPS game set in WW2. I've been playing this free to play game since 2012 and it has become kind of like game therapy to me at the end of a long day at work.

Well not only did they announce H&G2 but that in 6 months they're going to completely shut down H&G1. My heart sank. I'm sad. Why? Because who knows if H&G2 is ever going to happen? While I'm waiting for this new game, if it ever comes out, to come out the old game will be gone.

Do we have any H&G players here? Can anyone relate to the sadness of a game you've known and loved for years to be suddenly taken away from you?

Playing as the Corporate Sector Authority (CSA) in Star Wars Empire at War: Thrawns Revenge.

Their ships kinda suck. Their heroes are abysmal and fee of them. They have lots of clone wars vintage ships from the clone wars.

But that economy..... Three economic discount advisers (25,15,10%) and one that boosts income on a planet by 80% majes early expansion easy even with "obsolete" units.
You also don't get much for "teaching" up relative to Imperial Factions or the New Republic.

Still you can compensate but paid the blood price when I had dig 3 super star destroyers out if a heavily fortified system. One fleet was completely wiped out, the next double sized fleet failed and the third took heavy casualties.

Just moving response to the vidya games thread.
What do you think of it? As an avid Path of Exile player, Elden Ring has an appeal.
I'd played the first Dark Souls game, so I knew what I was walking into.
It is probably unreservedly my favorite game series. And I hate it, too. Definitely a controller game. It would be a misery with mouse+keyboard.
Only real advice is if you think you might play it, don't look stuff up. It spoils the magic on these more than most.

Edit: Ok, have more time. Finished homework for the night and outsourced cooking for breadsticks. I haven't played Path of Exile, but my impression of it is it is* roughly like Diablo or Albion Online? Maybe even V-Rising-ish? Isometric side/top/down action with hotkeys/spammable skills, fast. Crafting components, all that. Elden Ring is more action RPG. It's more a console game, really, I think. But I'm not 100% on that. Last console I really got into was the 2600. Either way, it's a 3rd person over-the-shoulder camera sword-n-sorcery RPG. You find new weapons, spells, treasure chests, level up - the whole works. But it's wicked in spirit, which is the point and the fun. The game gives you a dearth of information to work with initially - and it lies to you. So looking up how things work/the plot/maps/receipes(anything really) is sort of like going to an escape room with the answers printed out beforehand. It is truly pretty if your system can run it. My son won't watch it, it's nightmare fuel for an 11 year old.

*Bwahaha. Sorry. Feelin' Darksouls-y

Last edited:
@Farm Boy I guess console games are different. Never played one. PoE is also on console, but I play with mouse and keyboard. PoE is a free to play with deep roots in Diablo 2, now with a decade of growth and changes under its belt. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it can be pretty much any kind of ARPG you want it to be; from mildly complex to absurdly min max for those who enjoy that. It has an enormous amount of content that one can choose to engage or not.

I've never played Dark Souls or any of the other similar games so I cannot compare it. Well, I have played Wolcen, interesting, but a weak contender. Elden Ring has pretty good reviews; I should probably try it.

If you played on a PC I would be happy to walk you through the first few acts to get you off to a good start and with an understanding of the basics. Beginning PoE on one's own can be a challenge.

Basically conquered the galaxy as CSA so restarted as Warlord Zsinj.

Early steps but auned for Ciutric (chokepoint), Wayland for clone tanks and then pushed into Maldrood to weaken them and secure the south.
Used my advisers to build up the economy.

Lots of planets as Zsinj but very spread out not enough ships so mobile defense whole slowly building new fleets. Fairly minimal defensive fleets are now turnung into larger fleets and I now have a second attack fleet so I can push with the Warlord himself. Otherwise was using Zsinj as a firefighter unit.

Captured Etti in the corporate sector. Saved the game. Want to annex the rest of the CSAs rich world's and consider the options. Rocking economy and SSD shouldn't be to hard short term.

So in the ground in going with an infant's heavy approach. Zsinj has some if the best infantry in the game and a couple of night sister hero units.

And his heavy vehicle yards construct ifbs with sensor ping and healing aura. His Raptor troops eat heavy walkers alive and thanks to cloming tanks on Wayland can be spammed.

The AI broke the defenses in space and assaulted Wayland which had 10 units of raptors on it plus garrison units from the clone tanks and barracks.

They landed a few AT-ATs from ESB and some other units. I sent a massive wave of infantry to kill them all.

Massacred the invaders and killed a hero unit. AT-ATs cost 1500 credits each a raptor infantry from clone tanks costs 128.

Total losses 0 although they killed a couple in space. Cost to me 256 credits cost to them 5000+.

Even if Wayland falls rebuilding the facilities costs around 4000 credits.

@Farm Boy I guess console games are different. Never played one. PoE is also on console, but I play with mouse and keyboard. PoE is a free to play with deep roots in Diablo 2, now with a decade of growth and changes under its belt. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it can be pretty much any kind of ARPG you want it to be; from mildly complex to absurdly min max for those who enjoy that. It has an enormous amount of content that one can choose to engage or not.

I've never played Dark Souls or any of the other similar games so I cannot compare it. Well, I have played Wolcen, interesting, but a weak contender. Elden Ring has pretty good reviews; I should probably try it.

If you played on a PC I would be happy to walk you through the first few acts to get you off to a good start and with an understanding of the basics. Beginning PoE on one's own can be a challenge.
I've heard PoE described(alongside Grim Dawn) as Diablo for people who like Diablo so much they need a better version of it. It seems pretty solid, I may try it out when the mood for an ARPG strikes.

I find I wind up afk a lot, and the save/checkpoint system in Elden Ring is pretty compatible with that. I can usually back out to the menu and wander back in and out as the day goes on, which is more of a struggle with online persistent universes. The game is hard. Fair warning. Though you can co-op to a limited extent to break bottlenecks with some jolly co-operation, if one has become too frustrating.

I've heard PoE described(alongside Grim Dawn) as Diablo for people who like Diablo so much they need a better version of it. It seems pretty solid, I may try it out when the mood for an ARPG strikes.

In terms of complexity and currently relevant, it goes Torchlight -> Grim Dawn -> Path of Exile. Torchlight is good if you don't want challenge. Grim Dawn has a fairly daunting spec system but it's not super difficult to grok and you can reasonably go through it without turning to a guide. PoE has seasons, constant tweaks, and entire calculators and charts.

Going afk in PoE is never an issue. There are no save points at all. Leaving the game at any point never puts your character far from where you were. In the first 10 Acts, dying puts one back pretty close to where you died and unless you don't log out of the game, there is no monster revival up to the point you died in that game area. Most bosses who kill you while at half life, will be at half life when you return to the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom