What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory released a new trailer, featuring - I assume - the game's first Tale. I note that Enhanced Prepper Bunkers and New Bunkers are listed as two separate features. I suppose the New Bunkers will feature in "Signal Void", and then when you've finished the Tale, will remain in your Survival run to use as bases or outposts. I have a Stalker run and an Interloper run currently idling, but I haven't played either one in weeks, so I might start fresh when the update goes live. btw, I'm assuming anybody who has any interest at all in this game probably has it by now, but if you've been waiting for a sale, or if you have the base game but haven't bought the DLC pass yet, Steam does have it discounted as part of their Spring Sale.

Hinterland Studios said:
TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Two: Launch Date & Features

We are currently targeting a launch for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART TWO on Thursday, March 30th.

The feature and content set for Part Two will include:

(For those who own TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY)
Tale: “Signal Void” (estimated 5+ hours of play time to complete)
Handheld Shortwave Radio
Transponder Cache Gameplay
New Bunkers
Three new Clothing items

(For anyone that owns THE LONG DARK or SURVIVAL EDITION)
Fire-Hardened Arrows
Enhanced Prepper Bunkers
Enhanced Beachcombing
Acorns & Oak Trees

@Hygro listen to this track below. This is why every couple of years I replay GTA: Vice City. I know that the graphics are now outdated and chunky, but man! They're spot-on. The colour scheme, the voice acting, the soundtrack!

Also, the game is very well crafted. The missions take you everywhere in Vice City and you interact with everyone. The rampages mean your having showdowns with all the local gangs. The businesses you take over are your LEGITIMATE ESTABLISHMENTS. There's a totally-not OJ Simpson. There are so many challenges: boat races, helicopter piloting, rooftop bikers, an ersatz Steven Spielberg, finding hidden objects. And all that without having to customise every single thing. It's a GTA III-era game but with more vehicles and graphics just a little better than in III so they may be old but not obsolete yet. And it's full-on '80s glory, including the mind-addling interviews on K-CHAT and VCPR. You can just play the game for taxi missions or helicopter checkpoint ones or just drive around on your own following the vagaries of the demented radio characters, some of whom you meet in person.

San Andreas is good (and adds Terminator 2 references to boot, and quads!
But ever since then the creators just had to go and insist on adding Tamagotchi elements and customising cars so you have a Street Rod minigame in there.
VC is where the right balance is.
III's graphics are just a tad awkward but bearable and also the storyline might be the strongest (and darkest) because it's where everything comes to a head. And as such it's the one that makes the other two worth it as a greater whole.

I've played Diablo IV for a couple of hours tonight; first impression is that it feels very much like a hybrid of PoE and D2. Much more D2 than D3. Difficult to form an opinion, because I still don't fully understand a lot of the new features and additions and there are server lags ruining the experience a bit. Best part so far is the atmosphere, art direction, story, cinematics and tone. I feel they nailed that part. As for gameplay, it feels not great, nor bad - somewhere in the middle. Quite repetitive with the same 3-4 different monsters everywhere. It's mainly the gameplay that feels unpolished and like an unfinished product, which is understandable. It is a Beta after all.

My lvl9 Sorceress:

Nice looking toon!

Thanks for the update. With PoE, one feels like your always playing a beta! ;) How's combat? How do you level? Killing stuff or doing things? Can you screenshot the skill tree? Is it like D2 in that there is one story with different difficulty levels or PoE where there is one storyline that just gets harder as you move through it.

Also, I forgot to say earlier, but my earlier 100% completion run from 2021 I apparently missed the fact that there were a couple of higher-difficulty Checkpoint Charlie iterations I'd never done and this mistake had to be made up for.

Nice looking toon!

Thanks for the update. With PoE, one feels like your always playing a beta! ;) How's combat? How do you level? Killing stuff or doing things? Can you screenshot the skill tree? Is it like D2 in that there is one story with different difficulty levels or PoE where there is one storyline that just gets harder as you move through it.

Combat is good; you need to pay attention and constantly move around. Hydras are awesome for the Sorceress; never leave home without hydras. It feels similar to PoE and D2 combat. Sorceress is back to her D2 tricks with 3 main elements - Cold, Pyromancy (Fire) and Shock (Lightning).

You level by killing monsters (obviously) and doing the main story act quest of pursuing Lilith. You also level up and find gear by doing side quests and explore dungeons. There's also a main boss event (time fixed) that requires several players to slay a huge monster, that drops legendariers. Haven't seen that one myself though.

There's a place inside the main city (a fountain/monument of sorts) where you can adjust the difficulty. I adjusted it to 'veteran' before playing, the second difficulty level. The last two levels are unavailable. I feel that the monsters get slightly more difficult to slay as you level up, so there's some scaling going on as well.

The map is huge; we only have access to a section of act 1. It takes time to get around; I haven't got a mount which would make travel faster.

A couple of screenshots:

Spoiler :

Character screen
Character.jpg

Skill tree for Sorceress: Basic > Core > Defensive > Conjuration > Mastery > Ultimate > (Key Passives)
Sorcerer_Skills1.jpg

Sorcerer_Skills2.jpg

Sorcerer_Skills3.jpg

Map and active quests
Map1.jpg

The skill tree alone in Path Of Addiction (POE) makes me wonder , how in hell did that game got so amazing so much ! :O

I feel You, one time my friend showed me his character and I was not sure what he was ..... sorcerer,,,,priest.... swashbuckler kind of type ? - :O

As of late I have also played the classics like Fallout and Fallout 2 .... absolutely amazing games , especially with the Killap's Restorarion Project ;) So what shall it be ? Do You join the unity ....

Diablo IV admittedly looks pretty good. Never played the others in the series.

I'll probably get it when it's on sale for $15 in two years.

^ Aesthetically, it looks and sounds really good. The gameplay is involving.

I forgot to mention that it seems to me, that Diablo IV is always played online and in a sort of 'multiplayer mode', even when you play solo. You see and meet other players in the terrain and in town, sometimes you take down a monster challenge together without actually planning for it. In that way, it also feels a bit like an MMO like WoW. Theoretically, this could prove to be a smart and very flexible way to experience the game, to sort of mix solo and multiplayer play into one hybrid game mode. I do worry about how this will affect server lag and latency though. Too early to tell what kind of problems this can bring with it.

So far, I'll give the game 1 thumb up and reserve the other thumb for when the game releases and we get an idea of what the endgame is, which is crucial for it to have longevity. We can't tell from this Beta and we know that Blizzard isn't releasing it with all intended features at launch. Runes for example will be added later, either as an update or in an expansion.

If you already play D2 or PoE, I honestly don't know if Diablo IV offers you an experience you aren't already having through those games. For someone like me coming from D3, it feels very retro and new at the same time. Next weekend you can play it for free and see for yourself what you think - if their servers play nice, that is.

The skill tree alone in Path Of Addiction (POE) makes me wonder , how in hell did that game got so amazing so much ! :O

Figuring out the skill tree in PoE, is like trying to solve a Sudoku made by Satan. :lol:
:lol: If you started playing PoE early in the game's history, the skill tree has evolved slowly and players just grew along with it. For players who join the game now it is huge, inscrutable and intimidating. Each player type has its own starting point and all around it are the most common skills and bonuses useful to a particular build. The bottom half of the chart are more melee related and the top mostly caster stuff. Melee type weapons are supported mostly in the lower left and bows in the lower right. I've never played the top half of the tree. That is a mystery to me full of scary stuff like minions, traps, spells, wands, chaos and dark arts! Every area gets the basics like life, energy shields, move speed, mana, as well as specialty nodes related to the skills relevant to the character types that start there. The hundreds of nodes are usually tied to gear or skills. Swords and Axes each have important nodes, as does duel wielding and shield use. The challenge in PoE is figuring out how to build the best tree for your character. That takes time and practice in game to see how one's choices actually perform together. Of course there are many build guides for folks to follow that help many/most. One's points to spend on this passive skill tree come from leveling and completing quests. You never have enough! Most of my guys are level 87-93 and have about 100-110 points. PoE is flexible though and as a barbarian I can choose to use points to travel from the friendly lower left to any other spot on the tree to add some skill I want to have.

A link to the passive tree

Combat is good; you need to pay attention and constantly move around. Hydras are awesome for the Sorceress; never leave home without hydras. It feels similar to PoE and D2 combat. Sorceress is back to her D2 tricks with 3 main elements - Cold, Pyromancy (Fire) and Shock (Lightning).

You level by killing monsters (obviously) and doing the main story act quest of pursuing Lilith. You also level up and find gear by doing side quests and explore dungeons. There's also a main boss event (time fixed) that requires several players to slay a huge monster, that drops legendariers. Haven't seen that one myself though.

There's a place inside the main city (a fountain/monument of sorts) where you can adjust the difficulty. I adjusted it to 'veteran' before playing, the second difficulty level. The last two levels are unavailable. I feel that the monsters get slightly more difficult to slay as you level up, so there's some scaling going on as well.

The map is huge; we only have access to a section of act 1. It takes time to get around; I haven't got a mount which would make travel faster.

A couple of screenshots:

Spoiler :

Character screen
View attachment 657091

Skill tree for Sorceress: Basic > Core > Defensive > Conjuration > Mastery > Ultimate > (Key Passives)
View attachment 657092

View attachment 657093

View attachment 657094

Map and active quests
View attachment 657095
Without doubt that tree is similar to PoE. Less complex, but going down the same road. The game's art is alone enough to get me to try the beta. I'll play some melee character and go sword or axe. You post is most helpful. :)

You Sir are a true gamer, I tip of my hat to You.

should have used that one - good point :) :hatsoff:

I have to recognize that Chinese F.I.S.T. is the one of the best metroidvanias which I have played. Highly recommended.

The Long Dark

From the March Developer Diary:

I like that "Signal Void" takes place specifically during the Aurora. One thing that happens in my games, almost every time, is that I end up operating entirely during the day. Going out at night is usually not worth it. The mine on Coastal Highway that you can only access during the Aurora is the only exception. Forsaken Airfield spoiler: also the workshop in the basement of the hangar.

Hinterland Studios said:
In Survival Edition, you’ll be happy to hear we have re-enabled the hidden Prepper Bunkers. We have made some significant updates to them, both visually and in the way they spawn into the world. You will now find Prepper Bunkers in nine locations across Lower Great Bear (in appropriately remote spots, of course). However, you won’t know until you begin exploring whether the Prepper Bunker is fully-equipped… or almost entirely empty. There will only be three fully-equipped Prepper Bunkers across a single game, the location in which they spawn will change with every new game. Each full Bunker you find will also have a unique feel, and the loot inside is themed to reflect that.
When they say the new bunkers will appear in nine 'locations', I take that to mean that in every new run, 9 bunkers will spawn from among N possible spawn points. I liked that the bunkers were never in the same place, and you had to explore to find them, even if you knew where all of the potential spawn points were on a given map. Hopefully they've also expanded the number of maps that can spawn a bunker. I think it was only 2 or 3 maps before, with 1 bunker appearing on each map. If there are nine bunkers in every new game now, I still wouldn't want more than 1 on most maps, so I hope the possible spawn points are expanded to just about every map. There are 12 major maps and 4 outdoor 'transition zones' in the basic survival game, if you don't have the Tales expansion; 13 and 5, if you do. (I didn't count the cave-network and mine transition zones, but f it, why wouldn't you put a bunker inside a cave or a mine?) So if there are multiple potential spawn points on each map - heck, include the transition zones too, just with fewer spawn points to match their smaller size - then those 9 bunkers could be scattered truly far and wide. And if 6 of those 9 are mostly empty, basically just shelters with 1 or 2 goodies to find, then the 3 well-stocked bunkers could be just about anywhere far from 'civilization' (e.g. not near other structures). That could be fun, and it would give you a reason to explore every far corner of every new run.

EDIT: The other way to interpret this is that bunkers can now spawn from only 9 possible locations. That would be a bummer. There were many more than 9 possible spawn locations before.

EDIT 2: Up to now, bunkers spawned on 3 maps, Pleasant Valley, Mystery Lake, and Blackrock, and each map had 8-10 potential spawn points. I think I knew 7 of the spawn points on Mystery Lake, only 4 of the spawn points on Pleasant Valley, and just 1 on Blackrock. So they were tough to find, which I liked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom