A nibble here, a nibble there.

As it turns out part of my world trip from Australia was to hire a car in Denver and drive around the desert in AZ, NM.
Very nice! Were you aiming for the Painted Desert, White Sands, that kind of thing? Or was it a more general tour of the states?

Very nice! Were you aiming for the Painted Desert, White Sands, that kind of thing? Or was it a more general tour of the states?
It was specifically those areas.
Focused on ancient Anasazi. Did take in Canyonlands, Saguaro giant cactus, back roads to ghost towns, White Sands, Los Alamos.
Part of a Desert Peoples focus.

Lots of places I'd want to visit. Too many to list, really. I'm not sure I even have a Top 5, off the top of my head. There are some places I should probably prioritize while I'm still fit enough to enjoy them. The Grand Canyon. Machu Picchu. The rainforests in the Pacific Northwest. Petra. The Norwegian fjords. Portions of the Appalachian Trail. I'd be pleased if I could get to 1 or 2 of those. I don't hear the clock ticking yet, but I understand it can sneak up on ya. (And some places can surprise you. I remember getting halfway up the steps of the giant Buddha statue in Hong Kong, and there was a woman who'd clearly overestimated her ability to make the climb and she was not having fun anymore. I hear that happens at Machu Picchu all the time; people think they can climb it and then they're winded halfway up.)

I think I left my daredevil streak behind at some point, without realizing it. Sky-diving would have been on my list years ago, but today... meh, whatever. I would absolutely go SCUBA diving or snorkeling if I was visiting a place where that's a highlight, but I wouldn't go to the Caribbean or wherever just for that. Come to think of it, I would 100% go diving with sharks on one of those guided dives, or one of those tourist safaris when you can get close to lions. So maybe my daredevil streak isn't totally dead.

I would like to go to one or more of the film or music festivals. Sundance. Toronto. Berlin. I hear/read people say that SXSW has gotten too corporate and trendy, but I can never tell if that's just hipsters trying to make themselves sound cool. I went to several nerd conventions years ago, and would probably enjoy another, but maybe not for 2-3 whole days. I don't know if I'd want to make a trip to San Diego just for San Diego Comic Con. I could see myself going to NYCC, though, because New York is a place I'd go anyway. If one day at the con turns out to be enough, there's never nothing to do in New York. I don't know a thing about San Diego. I'm also not sure whether I'd still enjoy the big outdoor festivals. Wacken Open Air looks like a hoot, but I can also imagine myself having had enough after 6 or 8 hours, and then you're just in Wacken. (Apologies to any residents of San Diego or Wacken. :shifty: ) Similarly, I would love to visit New Orleans for the food and the music, and maybe a guided boat ride in the Bayou, but I would probably plan my visit around Mardi Gras (come to that, I think anything that's popular with college kids on Spring Break I can just strike off the list right now).

I'm not sure it's "bucket list"-worthy, but I've always wanted to see a movie or tv actor that I'm already a fan of in a stage play in a small theater. If you're a fan of sports or music, you understand how the live event can just feel different from the onscreen event. Among other things, I find that I get a different, or even a greater, appreciation of the performer's abilities and skill when it's in-person, particularly if you're up close or in a smaller venue. Jodie Comer is doing a one-woman play in London that reportedly blew the doors off the place, for example, and will be taking it to New York next year. I don't even know what it's about, but that sounds fun.

Two chics at the same time.
"...'cause chicks dig dudes with money."
"Not all chicks."
"The kind of chicks that would double-up a dude like me do."
"Good point."

That guy's deadpan delivery just slays me. :lol:

I can’t think of any one thing I would want to do that I could check off and say it was done. It has to be something continuous.
You've got to dream a little bigger darling.

Tokyo, Scotland, Caribbean Islands, Morocco, the aurora borealis up in like Norway or something, and I’d like to see the Great Barrier Reef again before it’s gone, and I’d like to see Paris again
Scotland?

Sky-diving would have been on my list years ago, but today...
I'll put in a positive note for it. Once the chute opens, it's quite an amazing moment of peace. Very focusing.

I did a static line.. so you jump on your own but its automtically opened. That was very cool. I agree with @Farm Boy once you're just drifting about it is heavenly and serene.

Lots of places I'd want to visit. Too many to list, really. I'm not sure I even have a Top 5, off the top of my head. There are some places I should probably prioritize while I'm still fit enough to enjoy them. The Grand Canyon. Machu Picchu. The rainforests in the Pacific Northwest. Petra. The Norwegian fjords. Portions of the Appalachian Trail. I'd be pleased if I could get to 1 or 2 of those. I don't hear the clock ticking yet, but I understand it can sneak up on ya. (And some places can surprise you. I remember getting halfway up the steps of the giant Buddha statue in Hong Kong, and there was a woman who'd clearly overestimated her ability to make the climb and she was not having fun anymore. I hear that happens at Machu Picchu all the time; people think they can climb it and then they're winded halfway up.)

I think I left my daredevil streak behind at some point, without realizing it. Sky-diving would have been on my list years ago, but today... meh, whatever. I would absolutely go SCUBA diving or snorkeling if I was visiting a place where that's a highlight, but I wouldn't go to the Caribbean or wherever just for that. Come to think of it, I would 100% go diving with sharks on one of those guided dives, or one of those tourist safaris when you can get close to lions. So maybe my daredevil streak isn't totally dead.

I would like to go to one or more of the film or music festivals. Sundance. Toronto. Berlin. I hear/read people say that SXSW has gotten too corporate and trendy, but I can never tell if that's just hipsters trying to make themselves sound cool. I went to several nerd conventions years ago, and would probably enjoy another, but maybe not for 2-3 whole days. I don't know if I'd want to make a trip to San Diego just for San Diego Comic Con. I could see myself going to NYCC, though, because New York is a place I'd go anyway. If one day at the con turns out to be enough, there's never nothing to do in New York. I don't know a thing about San Diego. I'm also not sure whether I'd still enjoy the big outdoor festivals. Wacken Open Air looks like a hoot, but I can also imagine myself having had enough after 6 or 8 hours, and then you're just in Wacken. (Apologies to any residents of San Diego or Wacken. :shifty: ) Similarly, I would love to visit New Orleans for the food and the music, and maybe a guided boat ride in the Bayou, but I would probably plan my visit around Mardi Gras (come to that, I think anything that's popular with college kids on Spring Break I can just strike off the list right now).

I'm not sure it's "bucket list"-worthy, but I've always wanted to see a movie or tv actor that I'm already a fan of in a stage play in a small theater. If you're a fan of sports or music, you understand how the live event can just feel different from the onscreen event. Among other things, I find that I get a different, or even a greater, appreciation of the performer's abilities and skill when it's in-person, particularly if you're up close or in a smaller venue. Jodie Comer is doing a one-woman play in London that reportedly blew the doors off the place, for example, and will be taking it to New York next year. I don't even know what it's about, but that sounds fun.

"...'cause chicks dig dudes with money."
"Not all chicks."
"The kind of chicks that would double-up a dude like me do."
"Good point."

That guy's deadpan delivery just slays me. :lol:

Don't have to climb up to Machu Pichu at all ! There's a road up from the train station. Inca Trail is different thing and is a real trek that can get steep and hard at altitude.
I found the open public trail and size of the Grand Canyon with concentrated heat to be easily mis judged and made the right decision to turn around when I did.

Last edited:
I hear that happens at Machu Picchu all the time; people think they can climb it and then they're winded halfway up.)
Most folks begin their journey to Machu Picchu (elevation about 7900') in Cuzco (elevation ~11,000'). It's all down hill! Cuzco is the problem for most. If you arrive by train from Cuzco, you will have to climb (or take a bus) up the city. If you hike the Inca Trail, you arrive at the proper height.

I got up at 4am to ensure I was at the front of the queue, and the first person to step through the gates. Was Amazing to see it without people. Within a few hours it was crawling like ants.

Last edited:
Most folks begin their journey to Machu Picchu (elevation about 7900') in Cuzco (elevation ~11,000'). It's all down hill! Cuzco is the problem for most. If you arrive by train from Cuzco, you will have to climb (or take a bus) up the city. If you hike the Inca Trail, you arrive at the proper height.
Haha, yeah, Inca Trail actually comes down into Machu Pichu, but there's some hard climbs a few days earlier if you do the long one. There's a trail sign with a 1,000 metres arrow * upwards *.

I got up at 4am to ensure I was at the front of the queue, and the first person to step through the gates. Was Amazing to see it without people. Within a few hours it was crawling line ants.
Yeah, arrived down the trail at dawn to do the same. Was pretty tired from the long trail though.

Scotland?
My wife’s paternal side is Scottish and their clan name can be traced back for a long time. There are several castles/towers/cathedrals built/owned/whatever by said clan name that you can visit. So she’s always wanted to go, and I love Scotch, so it’s a win-win.

Top Bottom