What's with the sudden obnoxious advertising?

Well, the problem is gone now, for me. I found out that I had a problem with my anti-virus and must have picked up something pretty bad... the computer itself needs to be looked at by a professional who knows more than I do. I'm on my backup computer now, updated anti-virus, and no blank rectangles.

I couldn't find anything unusual, but reinstalling Chrome seems to have done the trick.

GAAAAAAH Now it's happening on my desktop with Firefox (which is running Adblock btw), and it's worse than it's ever been!

Edit: And yes, it is only on Civfanatics, and no other site. I'm still running a full virus scan just to be sure.

Another Edit: In a weird twist everything is fine when I'm accessing this site from my tablet.

Yet another Edit: Everything is also fine when acessing this site from a different browser on my desktop.

I have now encountered this problem on imgur as well, even though it is not currently active on this site. I am now reasonably sure that this is a virus on my end. Sorry for the finger-pointing and wild accusations.

Don't know if this is relevant or pertinent to the subject, but this happened as I was in the OT:

Criteo is apparently some kind of advertisement company. I didn't have any non-CFC tabs open at the same time.

Civleader from the CiV S&T has reported similar issues to what the OP has been experiencing. I've suggested he bring them here. Now there are multiple occurences it may be worth considering the possibility that a downstream server may have been compromised, perhaps anyone experiencing the issue could provide tracert results taken at the same time the issue occurs to see if there are any intermediary servers in common.

I confirm that I am also having problems with the site. It is very slow and lags often, in addition to sudden tabs with advertisement websites popping up after I do a click. It goes even to the extent of suddenly changing the site to one of those advertisement sites without any click provoking it. There are also occasional pop-ups that recommend me cleaning up my mac, giving me the option between "cancel" and "ok."

I have a Mac, and I use Safari or Mozilla Firefox, and I am currently in Brazil so much of the advertisement is in portuguese.

Top Bottom