What's with the sudden obnoxious advertising?

Imperator Knoedel

Simperator Knoedel
I can't click on anything without opening another tab to Sid knows what websites. Also suddenly there's these annoying advertiser links on random words. It didn't use to be this way, in fact I only noticed this sudden spike in advertising obnoxiousness just a few minutes ago. What gives? Is this site really that strained for cash? Would it help if I threw some pocket change at you?

I can't click on anything without opening another tab to Sid knows what websites. Also suddenly there's these annoying advertiser links on random words. It didn't use to be this way, in fact I only noticed this sudden spike in advertising obnoxiousness just a few minutes ago. What gives? Is this site really that strained for cash? Would it help if I threw some pocket change at you?
The last time that happened to me, it turned out to be a rather nasty virus. Make sure your anti-virus program is updated, and run it. If it works, problem solved. If not, it's a good indication that the admins need to have a go at this.

For myself, there's a huge blank rectangle at the top of every page, and it's really annoying.

Hmmmm, this is strange, everything is back to normal now. If it was a virus wouldn't this happen on every site I am visiting, and not just show up once for half an hour on a specific website and then disappear again? Maybe it was a testrun to see how far they could push it before people are starting to complain?

I am positive it was not. There is the off chance that there is someone hacking htis site - though then this would show up consistently for multiple users. Chances for this behaviour to be due to malware on you part are relatively high as lon as no one else is seeing this. Still a screenshot would help.

I can not produce a screeshot because the problem is gone now. :dunno:

I am positive it was not. There is the off chance that there is someone hacking htis site - though then this would show up consistently for multiple users. Chances for this behaviour to be due to malware on you part are relatively high as lon as no one else is seeing this. Still a screenshot would help.
Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. That blank rectangle should not be there.

Attachments

• cfc-ad-blank.png
    cfc-ad-blank.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 175
Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. That blank rectangle should not be there.

The banner is fine, the problem was random words all over the site, including posts, being substituted for links to other websites, plus clicking on anything taking me to another website as well, but everything seems to be working fine now.

well, it should be populated by an advertisement banner - unless blocked by something. But that is just were the banner ads are put at least since we had to migrate the server.

well, it should be populated by an advertisement banner - unless blocked by something. But that is just were the banner ads are put at least since we had to migrate the server.

No. If Adblock is on, you shouldn't have a rectangle there at all. In its place should be a thin, thin rectangle.

Strangely enough I got a click on post reply leading me to another website again (milka.at I think, some Austrian chocolate corporation) a few hours ago, but nothing else before or since. This seems to be localized entirely to this website and the tablet I am currently using, I don't have these issues on other websites and I don't have them on my PC either.

:dunno: Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Kind of sounds like some sort of adware. Though it is odd that it only targets one site, perhaps that's intentional so that you're less likely to realize it's adware? A chocolate company's site does seem like an odd place to redirect you, though.

I have seen other sites have those little pop-up ads under certain words, and those can certainly be annoying, but not at CFC.

This issue has returned in full force, and it's still only on this website and on this tablet.

Edit: I attached some relevant screenshots. Even when ignoring the obvious ad links that were inserted into Leoreth's posts I still get new tabs (I assume they are supposed to be popups, but I am on a tablet) opened to various websites whenever I want to do anything. I had to click away half a dozen of them just while assassembling this post!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-49-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-49-32.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-52-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-52-12.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-55-48.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-29-11-55-48.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 62
What happens if you use a different browser on the same device?

Everything works fine, though to be fair the only other browser I have on this tablet is the Adblock Browser.

This issue has returned in full force, and it's still only on this website and on this tablet.

Edit: I attached some relevant screenshots. Even when ignoring the obvious ad links that were inserted into Leoreth's posts I still get new tabs (I assume they are supposed to be popups, but I am on a tablet) opened to various websites whenever I want to do anything. I had to click away half a dozen of them just while assassembling this post!

This is a malware issue on your device and nothing to do with the forum. Uninstall the browser application and then reinstall it is the quickest way to deal with it if the malware is in the browser itself.

But why would it only happen on this specific website and even then only every few days?

But why would it only happen on this specific website and even then only every few days?

It probably does happen on other websites, just not ones you actually visit. Again, this is nothing to do with CFC, this is just where the problem is manifesting itself. I'd recommend installing Malwarebytes onto your tablet and running it.

I'd also recommend looking at the list of apps on your tablet and removing anything you don't recognize or has an obviously spammy name.

Unlock your tablet.
Tap Apps in the upper right hand corner.
Locate and tap Settings from the list of applications.
Tap Applications to the left of the screen.
Tap Manage applications on the right side of the screen.
Tap the app you want to uninstall.
Tap the Uninstall button.
To confirm you want to uninstall this app tap OK.
Click OK once finished.

If both those don't amount to anything, you can also reset your Android Browser.

Open the web browser app.
Tap on the Menu key > Settings.
Go to the Advanced section > Content Settings.
Tap on Reset to default.

It might be a good idea to switch to a new browser as well, Chrome and Firefox are just as effective for use on a tablet.

I did de- and reinstall Chrome, and for now the problem seems to have gone away, though only time will tell if that is temporary or not.

That's pretty normal even with CFC whitelisted. Which I'm okay with because the rare times ads to display they are pretty distracting.

Top Bottom