1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your Favorite Civ to play as and why?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Saint Sarai, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I like playing Elizabeth (fin/phi) for her traits, which suits my style of playing (out tech everyone and then decide a victory strategy). Vanilla Catherine, Washington and Saladin are also good and warlords Mehmed, Wang and Gandhi are also fun to play.

2. LuckyAC

LuckyAC Immortal

Inca or English
    As you can see, I am all about Financial.
    I'll take Japan for Conquest games in Warlords though.

It's all pretty moot, though, since I play random.

3. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Senatus Populusque Romanus, the Senate and People of Rome. I am particularly fond of that period of history and absolutely love reliving it as my proud legions march across the known world and take over everything in sight (until my science gets down to 0%). :) I think the Legion/Praetorian is arguably the best unit in the game, not at all like that ridiculous one in Civ 3. Hooray for [civ4]! Augustus also has a nice trait combo with free culture and help on those civics costs, so I prefer him over Julius. I also like the forum because I can never get enough great people.
    Besides that, I like to play as America because that's "my" civ.

4. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

You and I have similar interests and tastes. At least half of my off-line games are as Rome. Augustus is indeed awesome, though I also enjoy Julius and all those extra Great Generals, especially if I manage to build the Great Wall as well...

5. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

My man Brennus is definitely my favourite. Fantastic traits (the two very best, in my book) that also synergise really well together to make for possibly the game's best warmonger, who can also hold things together really well in peacetime.
    And they may not be the very best, but his UU and UB are very solid and open the door to a hell of a lot of sneaky tactics that are just a hell of a lot of fun.

Monty is also a hell of a lot of fun, and damn powerful too with those traits and beautiful sacrificial altars.

And Shaka is just Shaka, so he's always awesome!

6. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

Well ive 2
    1)churchill- i loved the english before warlords and now its killing spree with char/pro the closest you can get to agg/char.the drill 4 redcaots being up graded from crossbows

2)shaka-the uu and ub is brillent for waring

7. Darkus

Darkus Chieftain

I like the zulus because of the gold color and there UU and i like the city names

8. julienheadley

julienheadley Chieftain

i like the greeks a lot. they're good at fighting and they make great people.

i also like kublai khan. i like creative civs in general because it makes city placement ideal. kublai i like a lot because his UB is a nice combo with elephants.

i think financial is the best trait though. aggressive is a good one. i tend to like aggressive civs. i also like interesting UB's, UU's. the incas are way the best because they have the best UB, the best UU, and the best trait. it's like they have aggressive too because their UU starts with +10%.

other good UB's:
    zulu
    turks
    india
    carthage
    aztecs

rome is good because their UU is good. the vikings are fun because their UB and UU are interesting. i haven't played mali yet but i think i would like it. their UB looks good.

i always play random.

9. Nordiska

Nordiska Chieftain

Germany, I always seem to get involved in a late 'modern' war so the panzer and assembly plant help out. Deustchland Uber Alles!

10. Rancid Sushi

Rancid Sushi Last year's catch

Recently Alexander is beginning to grow on me as well. I'm the newest fan of SE economies, and I just can't do without the aggressive trait most times.

11. jan33

jan33 Chieftain

i allways play the vikings now...financial/aggr just ideal
    cheap barracks and money to sustain an army:)and the trading post is a reason to

12. diablodelmar

diablodelmar no comment

Spanish and English.

13. Sparta

Sparta Emperor

QFT - Brennus for me as well.

14. Priah

Priah Warlord

Hannibal or Augustus in warlords

Carthages uu and ub are more or less useless, but financial/charasmatic is a very powerful combo and works well with my playstyle. Augustus is just hands down overpowered, best uu in the game, rather useful ub, and great creative/organized combo that works amazingly with the fast expansion at the start.

Other favorites are napoleon, and ottomans.

15. Panda

Panda Metal head

Rome, with Augustus. He has the two best traits, the best UU, and one of the best - if not the best - UB. Plus, I'm a huge fan of the TV series Rome. :D

Julius Caesar comes in second, with Hatshepsut and Catherine following.

16. Capt Buttkick

Capt Buttkick Emperor

Depends on a lot of things, like game version, difficulty level and what VC you're going for (I'm not being pedantic, just trying to explain the reason for my choice :cool: ).
    Where I am now (Monarch vanilla domination), I've found Quincy of the Chinese to be a good choice. It does nothing to help my CS sling fixation, which is unfortunate, but I'm thinking next game (which will be Monarch vanilla conquest), I'll try to sling to Machinery instead. Should be interesting to see the damage of 1000 BC Chokus :hammer: