1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your occupation in the FfH universe?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Kjaaly, Feb 29, 2008.

1. evanb

evanb Chieftain

I think I'd be a Kuriotate interpreter for the Overcouncil (I guess they'd need some with all the various nations that are members). I'd know the Kurio, Lanun and Malakim languages. Probably some non-humanoid dialects as well, what with coming from a society full of fantasy creatures :)

2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I kinda assumed that the Overcouncil would use the new Lingua Franca of the age of rebirth (based on the Patrian preserved by the Elohim, but with other elements as well.) Only the Luchuirp use this as their everyday language though, so interpreters might still be needed when discussions require precision of language.

3. evanb

evanb Chieftain

Hmm, I didn't know about this lingua franca. Anyhow, I think nations would still preserve their national languages at least at a local level (if not within the Overcouncil), so some sort of interpretation might still be needed somewhere :D

BTW, Patria means 'the homeland' in Romanian (though I think it's inspired from Latin).

4. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

"Fatherland" in Latin.

5. Love

Love Chieftain

Rosier the fallen.

6. jimi12

jimi12 Half Jedi

working 40 hours a week at a calabim breeding pit.

7. Tyrs

Tyrs Chieftain

I feel like Patrian is similar 9in use, not origin) to English is in RL. The UN is kinda like Overcouncil, and the UN still has plenty of translators, even if most world leaders speak at least a small amount of English. I feel like in Erebus where people are nastier than here, they would be even less inclined to adopt a universal language. And working in a breeder pit would be all fun and all until you got tired and were eaten.

8. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Actually, Patrian is like Latin in the middle ages. You probably guessed that much, but that means that most of the educated/aristocratic classes speak or read it in most of the non-new nations, but few of the commoners do, in any nation. So it would function, I assume, as a common language for elites, even if it isn't actually in use anywhere.

Though the time from the Age of Magic until contact is re-established in the Age of Rebirth isn't that long linguistically, so most descendant languages are probably not that different, and commoners from each land share many words and syntax in their dialects, making basic communication possible, though for complex ideas, or any novel concepts, translation is required.

9. evanb

evanb Chieftain

Yay, so that means I can still make a living. Phew!

10. .SinClaire.

.SinClaire. Terminally Cute ;)

I would be Lita the Witch, lol
    nah, I would prolly just be a svartalfar student. 9th grade, w00t! can't wait 'til I get to kill my first slave in assassin training :D

11. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

I'd probably be a Kuriotate Radiant Guard. If I'm going to fight, it would have to be for ideals such as equality and peace. Plus, I get to blind people that try to kill me. Radiant guards on the defensive almost never die. :mischief:

12. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Actually, 1.000 years can do a remarkable amount of damage to a language. Look at Anglo-Saxon to modern English, for example.

13. evanb

evanb Chieftain

Yeah, but the Anglo-Saxons were kinda conquered by the Normans... so that should have had some influences, no? Also, during those 1000 years the English had contacts with other languages and cultures. On the other hand, in the Age of Ice, contact between the civilizations was very little, right?

14. wilboman

Well, all the more reason that the languages would differ wildly. Without interchange and outside influence for 1,000 years, the dialects would develop in absurd directions - look at Pikey, hochdeutsch and low German, Creole, the Norwegian dialects. And they even had the benefit of cross-fertilisation to stave off the worst excesses.

Imagine what Hillbilly would develop into if completely cut off from mainstream English for 1,000 years. The horror.

15. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

yeah, 1000 years is a long enough time to be largely incomprehensible; I was imagining more like half that, but I don't think there's a definite timeline.

16. wilboman

Are you sure? I'm fairly positive some design/canon document says 1.000 years.

17. DharmaMcLaren

DharmaMcLaren Chieftain

Contact with those who speak other languages isn't the only way a language changes, however. Changes are made for the sake of ease (French le/la before a noun beginning with a consonant, l' before a noun beginning with a vowel; ê in place of "es"), due to the necessity of a new word created by a new discovery that can't be described easily with existing words (this only happens in very ancient languages, or when some dramatic change occurs - e.g. the whole world freezing ;)), change in the environment in which the speakers live (a formerly aristocratic society could have a very wordy, formal, poetic language; but when the Age of Ice hit and they were forced to scavenge and hunt to survive, that language would probably be reduced to something more basic, for simple and quick communication - as with tribal societies in the Amazon whose languages have evolved to include or consist entirely of the sounds of the animals that live around them), and many other possible scenarious. One thousand years changes a language quite dramatically regardless of contact with outsiders; and with social changes like that, it could change pretty drastically.

18. evanb

evanb Chieftain

All the better. They'll need interpreters :D

The real trouble would be getting all those cultures together understanding each other, in a certain spirit of tolerance. This Overcouncil thingy sounds really complex from that point of view.

19. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

Why would so many on the forums wish to engage in any profession that involves killing? I'm no pacifist, but the least favourite part of being in the military is, obviously, when you have to actually kill someone yourself. Some would say it's even worse than the fear of being captured, although on Erebus I'd take death over enslavement anytime.

I'll refine my choice a little: a farmer near the Grigori capital that owns his own farm and a small business of preserved foodstuffs as well. The least likely place to get drafted or hit by unnatural disasters. Although being a Luonnotar would be nice too - you're actually immune to most spells (except if someone summons a creature and walks up to you, well, you get physically bashed too).

20. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

An Amurite mage who moved to a small village in the grigori lands.

Or then a Luchuirp engineer.