1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your occupation in the FfH universe?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Kjaaly, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Great Overlord

Great Overlord Chieftain

Can one compare Oghma's Vault with some kind of celestial university?:science: Well, in this case, maybe I should not become a Shade (or somehow recover my soul the moment I am finally killed...:mischief:
    I would also hope I am in the city where the Great Library, the Crown, the Catacombs and the Nexus are (which in my games usually means "in my capital):science:

2. exolead

exolead Chieftain

You know MC, I used to believe that the Nyxkin where some sort of gift from Agares to Esus, and form Esus to his elves, given that (I thought) their names meant, well, the folk of Nyx...but whilst I would love to see that something somehow survived from the old, "good" Nyx before Agares fell, I find that unlikely (Of course, not taking Spectres into consideration, which I believe were former denizens of the Agares' little realm, no?)
    --
    On another hand, I don't like the idea of Faeryl being a married woman, dunno, she seems way too independent.

3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Agares explicitly destroyed every creature that once dwelt in his world, reducing them all to ash and dust. The elves of the Nyxkin are most certainly from Erebus rather than Nyx, and their panthers are certainly not creations of Agares that survived the world's purge. However, this does not necessarily eliminate a connection to Nyx.

When Esus came to visit Agares' hell he was appalled by its barren, lifeless landscape and chose to do somehting about it. He breathed life into the dust, and from this created a race of people known as the Mistforms. It is quite possible that he used the ashes of Nyx to create other creatures too, possibly including the Panthers he gifted to the Svartalfar. These beasts may well originate in the remains of Nyx, but they are certainly not creations of Agares.

Does being a married adulteress that hasn't been on speaking terms with her legal husband for several thousand years really make her seem that much less independent?

4. 4lexander

4lexander Chieftain

Well... it's only gealousy, I'm sure. :lol:

5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Chieftain

I'd be a Bedouin. Someone got to grow that corn.

6. tribble

tribble Chieftain

Why all the Mercurian hate? If I have to choose between two parties of utterly alien and remorseless outsiders who don't care about me, I'll take the shiny ones. Basium seems to be a fairly reasonable guy. Just don't consort with demons (which ought to be a "duh.", in my opinion.)

7. 4lexander

4lexander Chieftain

8. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

As long as you make sure you don't consort with those who consort with demons. Or live near them. Or in the same continent as them.

Remember, Basium declares war on any Ashen Veil nation automatically, and won't stop until they're dead. Also remember, that most of the peasants in those nations never get a say in what their government does with religion.

9. esvath

esvath Apprentice of Erebus

I don't think that there are any official lore about Basium murdering innocents indisciminately; forcing them to wage wars with demons, yes, I believe so. But not slaughtering innocents outright.

Yes, and those peasants will become pyre zombies as soon as the need comes.

Basium is not nice, that's granted. He is the personification of "Good is not Nice" trope on tvtrope. But still, I think that he is more honest in his campaign than the corrupted Order priesthood.

10. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

It happens in every game that he and the Veil are both in though. And he is very extreme. Those two brothers who have the misfortune to appear in his lore entry probably didn't deserve what they got. Warnings and punishments may have been needed, but I think turning their heads into pâté was a bit much.

I really doubt that most pyre zombies volunteered for the job. According to MC, the Sheaim government don't think it too difficult to kidnap their citizens if they need to, and it doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to work out the things they do with them.

I can't think of anything Basium does that makes him "good".

11. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

The Elohim ending for Wages of Sin implies that Basium doesn't slaugther women and children (they still curse Ethne for summoning him, but my sympathies for them are limited as one scenario ago, they were prepared to loot, enslave, rape, and slaugther their way across Erebus in the name of the Veil) and that both friendly and enemy casualties were reduced after he was summoned into Erebus. Not just that, but in The Radiant Guard, summoning Basium is portrayed as an unambigously good act, which is understandable as what Hyborem does to the losers is worse than death.

12. esvath

esvath Apprentice of Erebus

Agree. While in game practice Basium will automatically declare war to AV civs and destroy all of the cities and units (city representing civilian and unit as military), in the lore, it is noted that he was not that indiscriminating. Those two brothers do dabble in demonic magic, and anyone in Erebus at that moment should be aware of demons and their methods of conversion (starting from seduction, promises for wealth/power, up until rape and torture). Only the foolish ones were trying to bargain with demons (Keelyn is an exceptional case, here).

13. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Possibly an Assassin (Hippus or Sidar), or a Sidar sage.

Later in life, perhaps a Hippus leader/politician of sorts. (or still a Sidar sage)

-> as assassin, acting as a Force-Recon type commando somewhere ... building up a military career to use as political capital later on in the Hippus Capital (or one of its larger, more affluent, cities).

-> As a Sidar sage, doing various information gathering, acting as an Ideaist or somesuch ... and playing infinite games of Erebus's version of Chess ... and making new types of boardgames :D

14. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

My occupation in the FFH universe:

I'd likely have started out as an Ljosalfar commoner desirous of becoming a Ranger in the fullness of time.

After a career of trying The Way of The Leaves and guarding the borders of Elfland, I'd likely grow weary of the the killing necessary to protect the Ancient Forests and leave to find my own way.

I'd journey to the Dwarf fortresses and learn a trade, Ironworking, most likely and specialize in armor and jewelry.

After a few decades of the quiet life, I'd probably join the Hippus (if they'd have me) as a mercenary and scout. I doubt I'd like it as a steady occupation.

I might eventually wander to one of the Free Ports where the Lanun are known to go. I'd buy an Inn and learn some stories. Maybe go on some raids. Just to keep my archery skills up to par.

Ultimately, I'd try to be accepted into one of the Druidic schools. I'd focus on Nature and Air spells, but I'd definitely learn some Entanglement spells.

I'd return to the Ljosalfars as a Druid and end my days in quiet contemplation.

15. SergiuSS

SergiuSS Chieftain

I would be Pugg he gets away every time he dose something stupid
    :lol:

16. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

I am a humble great scientist serving cassiel in midgar.

17. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Einion Logos is freaking awesome. Given that I'd hate to be totally in charge, though, I'd opt to be his second, an adviser and diplomat generally. Ideally, keep enough monastic badassery to take on a troop of Balors. More likely I'd be an Elohim provincial governor, on Einion's side rather than Ethne's in the whole "Summon Basium" debacle. Still a monk/priesty dude.