Where in the World are you? What is so special about your cottage/hamlet/town/city?

The Lardossen said:
It would be great if people would pick up worldbuilder and build their city and the fat cross like it would be when it was in the game :)

I would, but there's no Bank of America Plaza in cIV, and like I said earlier Dallas just isn't Dallas without that tall glowy green thing.

Rex Tyrannus said:
cthom, is that a giant phallus? What is it? I tried to look it up on line and found "The Stone of Mannan" in a caption, but nothing more. Enquiring minds want to know.

sorry this has taken so long- the office 'puter is down:cry:
yes it is. it was erected(?) beside the old tollbooth and cross last century. it has recently been given a clean-up at a cost of £270,000! they used a high pressure blower, too. every newspaper in the land missed the headline of the century...

I am in Hunt Valley MD. Firaxis is located here (as well as a few other game companies).

i live in the small hamlet of Tumiching. there live about 200 people and it is part of the commune innernzell. the whole commune has a population of about 1700 people. its quite nice here. but in contrast we have one of the biggest discos in eastern bavaria with a capactiy of about 4000 people.
here a pic out of google-map. that big thing with the purple roof is the disco :)
here is also the hq of the construction company that patentet a method to rehabilitate the Leaning Tower of Pisa in 1990.

i think that's all what i can tell about my homeplace :D

Seattle, WA, USA

Seattle started as a small town with timber as it's main resource. Henry Yesler's steam mill gave birth to the phrase "Skid Row" - Skid Road was the name of the street that logs were skidded down, and had many bars and saloons nearby for the workers. Coal was discovered nearby, but that resource has largley run out and the mines have largely been replaced by cottage spam. Seattle still has a significant manufacturing base thanks to Boeing, but it's economy has diversified with other major companies such as Microsoft, Starbucks, Safeco and Costco leading the way.

Seattle is known more recently for rain (if you move here, get used to months of overcast weather and drizzle), coffee (mmm...coffee...), grunge (Nirvana, et al), craft beer and liberalism ('99 WTO). Seattle's official nickname is the Emerald City, though it's also known as Rainy City or Jet City. Seattle is also called "the Gateway to the Pacific", and is a major Pacific port and the largest city in the Northwest of the United States. Seattle is bordered by Puget Sound on the West, and Lake Washington on the East. Two floating concrete bridges span Lake Washington, and only one of them has ever sunk - and it wasn't even the oldest one (the first in the world).

Seattle also had the one of the largest freestanding concrete domes in the world, until we imploded it a few years ago. Seattle also features the Center of the Universe - the neighborhood of Fremont north of downtown and Queen Anne hill. In addition to the signs designating it the Center of the Universe, Fremont also has a large Troll beneath a bridge, a statue of Lenin shipped over from the former USSR, a rocket, and signs asking you to either set your clocks ahead or behind one hour, depending on which direction you are coming from. Seattle's best known landmark is likely the Space Needle, built for the 1962 World's Fair.

Seattle's improvements - Barracks, Aqueduct, Library, University, Drydock, Airport, Temple, Courthouse, Colloseum, Laboratory, Broadcast Tower, Forge, Factory, Hydro Plant, Grocer, Market, Bank, Harbor, Hospital, Jail, Supermarket, Theatre, Lighthouse and Recycling Center.

Well, I live in Laatzen, Germany. Laatzen has about 60.000 inhabitants and lays in the south of Hannover.
Laatzen consists of the former villages of Laatzen, Rethen, Grasdorf, Gleidingen, Ingeln and Oesselse. The some people in Rethen still think they are independant, but it just not true!

check this site for more info.

I grew up (and currently live in, at least for this summer) in Wausau (meaning "far away place" in Chippewa I think), WI, a city of about 40,000, and a metro area of 79,000, in pretty much the center of Wisconsin.

Wausau got it's start in the lumber industry and when the lumber industry faded, started making paper and has been ever since.

A few things we're "famous" for:
Hosting national and world kayaking competitions every year (World Championships were held here recently).

Consistently voted among the safest places to live in the U.S.

Granite Peak, one of the best ski areas around (Voted best in MN/WI/Upper MI area this year)

Although it is technically located in Poniatowski, just west of Wausau (although I suspect no one actually lives there), the center of the northern half of the Western Hemisphere is pretty much Wausau.

Last but not least (or is it?), Wausau has produced nobody really very famous except the fairly successful NASCAR drivers Scott Wimmer (uncle of one of my friends!), Dave Marcis, and Chris Wimmer.

I live in Milwaukee, WI during the school year (and probably will after I graduate). Milwaukee's pretty much famous for beer :goodjob:

Philadelphia, PA ~ The Birthplace of America, baby [and it's as warm and humid as a womb right now!]

Philly was founded by William Penn a long time ago. He wanted to contruct a city between the rivers, being inspired by Babylon and a devout Mason. The grid plan of the city is aligned in such a way as to resemble a qabbalic sephiroth, and the e-w alignment of the city is such that on Aug 8 (i think that's the date) the sun rises perfectly on this axis ~ why 8/8? that's the day that the sun rises in Sirius, the dogstar and a sacred object to the masons. Neat, huh? oh, and we have two towers in our city, too ~ at Liberty place, but their names aren't named Jachin and Boaz ;)

I live in Woodlawn, Ontario, Canada. In game terms, it would probably count as a connected horse resource +2 :hammers: +1 :commerce: beside unimproved forest +1 :hammers: , both on grassland +2 :food: and beside a river.

Actually, I am in rural Woodlawn. The village centre (four houses and a gas station) is about six kilometers away.

When I take a walk in my neighbourhood, I see forest, horses, sheep, cows, turkey vultures, corn, sunflowers, a few houses, more forest and a really nifty swamp. One of the horse places also has a petting zoo with llamas and goats. The llamas are quite sociable, but don't really want to be petted. The goats, on the other hand, run to greet visitors. In my back yard I see forest, deer, porcupine, grouse and the occasional hawk. I don't usually see skunks, but I know they're out there. Canada Geese pass over, but the majority live in the built up parts of Ottawa. Goose byproduct is getting to be a problem.

Thirty minutes in the car will put me at what use to be the edge of the city of Ottawa.

Ottawa is known for festivals, politicians, Silicon Valley North, and a lot of rivers.

vallejo california- one of the most diverse citys i've been to and it has a six flags park

Live in Melbourne Australia, as Willowmound pointed out Melbourne is indeed the cultural capital of Australia, unlike the morally bankrupt and Toku-esk city of Sydney.

Good thing about Melbourne is people are always very oddly dressed which I maintain has a lot to do with the fact that the weather changes multiple times in one day....having said that its also because of overdoses of 'culture' by too many new-age teens.
Kinda makes me wonder what Amsterdam would be like sometimes.

But fortunately Melbourne still has a strong conservative element although on the way to work today I saw some hippie in a tree on the main city road into work flying a sign "PROTECT OLD GROWTH FORESTS" if he wasn't also smoking a joint I might have taken it all rather seriously.

But Melbourne's best feature....the magpies...GO PIES!!! GRAND FINAL AWAITS!

Oh and once upon a time during the gold rush Melbourne was briefly the richest city on the face of the earth.

Hmmm... difficoult for me...
I was born in Livorno (Italy), then after 10 years moved to Sarzana.
Sarzana is in Italy, it has 20K inhabitants and a very long history.
It was built (almost) on the ruins of an earlier roman town (Lunae) after some german barbarian misplaced it with Rome and razed to the ground.
The town of Sarzana was born with slow migration from the destroyed and muribond roman town to a more protected place.
The first document attesting the name and location of the town is a proclamation from the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in the 800 AD.
So she is officially more than 1000 years old. :)
You can still visit the roman ruins (including a small colisseum) and several middle-age and reneissance castle.
Not far there are the marble caves that produced stones for buildings since the roman times (from the sea you can see ever white mountains: it's not snow, it's marble!).

Then I moved to Pisa not to enjoy the view of the leaning tower but to study computer science at the local university (founded in the 14th century, I guess the 2nd or 3rd in the world).
After that I started really moving... because then I lived in:
Uppsala (Sweden)
Ronneby (Sweden)
London (UK)
Tokyo (Japan)
Dusseldorf (Germany)

from New Orleans till the b---- katrina kicked me out,now in Tulsa Oklahoma world capitol of oil till the oil crash of the 70s,now its a shell of a city, lots of old money, no new industry.

I live in the "City of Champions," Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

We are have won 5 Superbowls, 5 World Series, and 2 Stanley Cups.

Dan Marino, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Joe Namath, George Blanda, Mike Ditka, Ty Law, Jack Ham, Curtis Martin, Tony Dorsett, Stan Musial, Honus Wagner, Ken Griffy Sr., Micheal Moorer, Billy Conn, and Paul Spadafora were all born and raised here.

Bill Cowher, Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, Ben Roethlisberger and Co. won the last Superbowl (yeah, we beat all you suckers).

I live in Florianópolis, located in the island of Florianópolis (duh), Brazil.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florianópolis
Its a pretty big island with a couple dozen beachs surrounding it (42 i guess) and 400.000 souls. Theres several little districts in this island, i live in the 'Center' or whatever its translated.

Its a nice town; actually Florianópolis. its the 5° place in the brazilian urban quality of life ranking list or something like that.. It was the 1° place 10 years ago, but then the population almost doubled..

I like here, i only left this city for more than a week once. But its not easy to find jobs anymore. Tall buildings are being built everywhere nowdays, but the city has nowhere to expand, only upward; theres no subway or trains, so the traffic is everyday more chaotic. Sigh.. Still, its the only city that dosent smell in South America. But theres one big problem; i played one google-earth-like program who lets you raise the sea level... if the sea raises something like 5 metters, the city is gone for sure. If it raises 10 metters, ill be homeless :(

To prepare myself for the unevitable, im learing 5 languages (english, spanish, chinese, japanese and french). Ill graduate in 4 years; if the polar caps dont melt until them, im sure ill handle the end of the world as we know it.

:)

The city population doubles during summer. If you ever drop by (and you should, before the island sinks), send me a mail and ill take you somewhere nice, maybe ill leave you there lost and confused and ill run away with your sweet foreign money ok? :)

I live in Chittenango NY. This village is in what was once the heartland of the Iroqouis Conferacy. The name means "Where the Water runs North". Chittenango was founded after the American Revolution by survivors of a warcrime. The Turtle Tree Incident involved torture of Americans on an island in Chittenango Creek. After the war land was given to their families. It has a corn resource, and is not far from the city of Syracuse, NY. This is upstate NY - no where near the city of the same name. I noticed a quote from a Canadian saying that Canada pushed America back to Washington DC in 1812. Since I am living in the US I guess you fearsome warrior Canadians got pushed back...eh?. LOL.;)

I'm from Lurgan, County Armagh Northern Ireland although I am a Catholic so I don't refer to myself as British, I'm Irish n proud of it :)

The town has about 25,000 people or less I believe. It's pretty ----- if I don't say so myself. None for NOTHING except making linen for parachutes in WWII, thats it.....Seriously...Nothing else...It's plain stupid...:lol:

As other people are doing, in civilization it would be 2 food, 1 commerce, seeing as it's beside the Lough. (No not Lough Ness...) it has linen, potatoes (it's Ireland...Of course it has potatoes) and alot of carrots and greens....

EDIT: I forgot, we had the most famous race horse in the UK (Or the world maybe) Master McGrath, an amazing dog, wikipedia it

Sadly it had it's fair share of The Troubles, outside my house a few RPG's have been fired lol. It's a mainly Republican estate with clear bounderies between Protestant and Catholic areas. The graveyard has a woman that was buried twice died once too. Funny story, thats probaly on wikipedia too.

I am currently residing in Chattanooga, TN. I am here mostly for the outdoor activities such as rock climbing, but also feel it is a nice locale for the kids to grow up.

Chattanooga claims its fame along several fronts:

~ The Chattanooga Choo-Choo and American railroading in general. The city was THE MAJOR hub for early western expansion of the railroads. :)

~ The Amercian Civil War Battles. The Battle of Chickamauga was a major turing point in the War of Northern Agression (as it is refered to here). Right down the road is Antietem (Bloodiest day in American history-- 40,000 troops died in a three day battle) where the battle turned the tide of war and directly led to General Sherman riding into and razing Atlanta soon afterwards. The Battle above the clouds on Lookout Mountain. :king:

~ The TVA and the Tennessee River. Life in the South was brought into the Modern age (actually, it has not been, but the Southerners like to pretend it is modernized here....it is still very industrialized.) :)

Life here is good, although a bit slow if one is more accustomed and attuned to lifestyles in the Northeast United States. I am originally from Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love.....Dolls. :eek:

Top Bottom