Where to Pre Order Civ 4 in Canada?

GuyUpNorth

Chieftain
Does any one know where a person from Canada could pre order a copy of CIV 4 but without huge shipping charges. The only places I could find so far that a accepting pre orders is EB Games which is quite expensive to get stuff send to Canada and Newegg.com - which doesn't ship to Canada at all... I was hoping Amazon.com would have Civ 4 - but it doesn't appear they do.

Anyone know of any American sites with okay rates to Canada or any Canadian sites that do pre orders? Any information would be much appreciated

Thanks for the site - I checked out Gamestop.... It has the game and does ship to Canada - but the shipping is $15 dollars (American) - That's pretty pricey (almost a third of the price of the game.)

Sometimes you'd think Canada was bordering Uzbekistan when you see the shiping rates...

Any other ideas?

Leprechaune said:
You don't have an EB location near you?

There is but I phoned the store and they told me just because I preorder the game through the store there is no guarantee that you'd get the special preorder package. And if thats the case I might as well wait for Walmart to stock it....

Wow... That's kinda stupid... I better check with my local EB and make sure they don't pull that one here. If they say I can get the pre-order version from the store, I'll get two and stick a couple stamps on one for ya. ;)

Leprechaune said:
Wow... That's kinda stupid... I better check with my local EB and make sure they don't pull that one here. If they say I can get the pre-order version from the store, I'll get two and stick a couple stamps on one for ya. ;)

Oh yeah I didn't notice you were in Canada too... Definitely check that out. The guy I talked to made if very clear that their store would sell whatever copies they were sent from the EB Games head office down in the states - which would not necesarily be the preorder special. I fact I would err on the side of caution and assume you *won't* be getting the preorder special. I got the impression that people who order from the online store were definitely higher up the proverbal food chain as far as who gets the special preorder....

Andrew_Jay said:
There's a pre-order version?

yeah - it was just announced yesterday...

Taken from the press release

Shipping on the same day as the regular version of the game, the Sid Meier's Civilization IV Pre-Order Edition will feature: collector's packaging, a CD soundtrack of the game, a keyboard template, a tech tree map and a spiral bound version of the manual. The Pre-Order Edition will be offered through participating retailers while supplies last.

Considering the pre order edition is the exact same price as the normal edition I thought it would definitely be worth preording - but so far what I've seen has been too expensive (because of shipping.) I guess I should be happy the exchange rate isn't too bad. Too bad there wasn't a list some where listing all the 'participating retailers' in North America...

I sent a little note to Firaxis asking for a website that would ship to Canada, so hopefully I get a reply back soon. I'd really rather not ship from the states, because on top of shipping fees and currency conversion (even though our dollar is kicking ass right now) we would still get dinged for duty fees. In essence, we'd basically be paying for the game twice-over. I haven't seen it on the bestbuy.ca website yet, so I've run out of ideas. Hopefully amazon puts it up soon.

Icevulture said:
I sent a little note to Firaxis asking for a website that would ship to Canada, so hopefully I get a reply back soon. I'd really rather not ship from the states, because on top of shipping fees and currency conversion (even though our dollar is kicking ass right now) we would still get dinged for duty fees. In essence, we'd basically be paying for the game twice-over. I haven't seen it on the bestbuy.ca website yet, so I've run out of ideas. Hopefully amazon puts it up soon.

Yeah I've checked all the obvious places (that I could think of) Amazon.com, Futureshop, Bestbuy.ca - nothing....

I agree with what you say - I figure the cheapest I could get Civ 4 shipped up here from a place like EBgames would be for $85 CDN (and its only that low because the CDN dollar is so strong right now) - which is 23 dollars more than the retail price at EBgames up here. And EBgames is usually not as cheap as a place like Walmart. A 23 dollar premium is just too much....

If you could post any response you get from Firaxis that would be much appreciated :)

I just noticed that Amazon.co.uk sells Civ 4 - but Amazon.com and Amazon.ca dont... That's kinda weird. :confused:

I preordered my copy from eb. I am assuming that they will get the preorder version in.

I suppose you could wait a little while to see, but I went ahead because EB is a huge chain, and i'm sure EB in the states will sell the preordered version, thus EB in Canada will most likley get the same stock.

The release said participating retailers in North America so I really have no reason to think EB Canada wouldn't have the preorder version.

EB was selling the game for $67.40CDN in Southcentre in Calgary.

Just ordered the Pre-Order Edition (and sales rep said this was the limited edition) at Eaton Centre (Toronto) EB Games for $49.99+Tax

So far thats the best deal i have seen for the Civ 4 here in Canada regardless of edition

GuyUpNorth said:
Does any one know where a person from Canada could pre order a copy of CIV 4 but without huge shipping charges. The only places I could find so far that a accepting pre orders is EB Games which is quite expensive to get stuff send to Canada and Newegg.com - which doesn't ship to Canada at all... I was hoping Amazon.com would have Civ 4 - but it doesn't appear they do.

Anyone know of any American sites with okay rates to Canada or any Canadian sites that do pre orders? Any information would be much appreciated

EBGames is an international company, we have many stores in canada -- check your phonebook for stores that might be local to you that you can preorder from.

Addendum: EBGames does business under three different store names... Look for EBGames, Electronics Boutique, and EBX

I'm in winnipeg. The EB at Polo Park said they "should" have it.

Top Bottom