[GS] Which civ will you play first in GS?

Which Civ will you play first when GS comes out?

• Hungary

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • Maori

Votes: 65 17.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 38 10.0%
  • Inca

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • Mali

Votes: 37 9.7%
  • Sweden

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Eleanor (possible 2 civ choice?)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Phoenicia

Votes: 32 8.4%
  • Ottomans

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other civ (vanilla, dlc, or rise and fall civ- please specify)

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • I will not be purchasing GS on release

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Random option

Votes: 27 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know we don't have all the reveals yet, but we need something to pass the time with these dead weeks without much coming from Firaxis. I'll keep the poll open so people can change their votes as we get new reveals.

For now, Maori are still looking like my favorite. I just love the idea of starting in the ocean, and having that flexibility of where to settle. There will be some challenge, but also some reward as well.

As with every release, going to hit random and see what I get. If I recall correctly, I started vanilla with Kongo and Rise & Fall with Korea.

I'll add a random option. :)

Maori sound the most interesting, but being Canadian, gonna have to load up a game with them first

As of right now, Inca--but I'd love for Phoenicia or Ottomans to wow me enough to change my mind. Maori is tempting, but I'd like a civ that's a little more...stable to adjust to the new mechanics first.

I can tell you I'll be playing Canada last. :p

I like to start with an existing Civ to let me get a feel for the mechanics. In this case, I am likely to pick Eleanor for that reason.

I'm not sure which new Civ I will play first after that. Probably Phoenicia, if they are as interesting as I hope...

Scythia.

Edit: I want to see if I can clear a ludicrous sized map (200x100) @ standard speed before an AI reaches one of the 5 victory conditions. I am looking forward to utilizing the new GS features (gap cav units and GDR's) to that end.

Last edited:
I've already decided who I'm playing for my first 3 games, the order and why.

I'll be playing Persia or Rome first (they're my 2 most played and the ones I understand best) to get a grasp of the new mechanics. Then I'll be playing England as England's rework is unironically the part of the expansion I'm looking forward to most, I'll finally be able to vicariously larp as the British Empire. Then I'll go Hungary as they look really great to me.

Yawn ... same ol’ samo, with no changes except for new GS mechanics, civs, etc:
ROME!!
Prince, huge epic continents.

Maori > Canada > Hungry > Inca. Don't know about the rest until their unique abilities and units are revealed.

Maori are definitely the most unique so I'll have to start with them. Canada has some interesting things to play with, particularly national parks from Mounties so they could be fun. Hungry seems like a grab bag of different things so I'm not sure how to play them yet. Inca is very similar to the Civ V version only weaker with VIs mechanics.

I chose Inca, only because I quite liked the snippets of music in the first look video.

Of course I will eventually have a go at all of them.

Gotta try Canada's 10 instant national parks from my Mounties for the cultural victory.
Inca is a close second - in fact they may become my favorite for a tall civ.

Inca for me

I'm not sure yet, until I've seen all the first looks.

As with every release, going to hit random and see what I get. If I recall correctly, I started vanilla with Kongo and Rise & Fall with Korea.

So you'll restart if you get an pre-GS Civ?

Then I'll be playing England as England's rework is unironically the part of the expansion I'm looking forward to most, I'll finally be able to vicariously larp as the British Empire. Then I'll go Hungary as they look really great to me.

I'm with ya on England getting an early spin!

Tough decision, I may go Egypt due to my bias and love of wonder building :D or I might go with Maori to explore the world and settle next to as many natural wonders as possible, or I might go Phoenicia, maybe Sweden too depending on their gameplay style. I'll probably play Inca, Canada or Mali after that. Getting back into my civ mood is great :)

My most played leader is Chandragupta. So I'll play with him to get the feel of new features with GS but the very next game I'll play with Kupe.But as of the first game I'll play with all Asian Civilizations including Arabia as I use Mecca for Arabia mod.

Sweden, Inca, Canada in that order I know for sure. I'll start with Sweden because it's my own country, and if Kristina ends up having diplomacy oriented bonuses then it will be a good way to get a feel for the new victory conditions. Then Inca because terrace farms and mountain farming seems really interesting, and I get to try out tunnels really early on. Then finally I'll play Canada on a cold earth map and just laugh at the other civs as I conquer the world in maple syrup induced frenzy.

Top Bottom