1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which good players are switching to Beyond Earth?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by klaskeren, Aug 9, 2014.

1. klaskeren

klaskeren Chieftain

I have not really played civ V for some months now, and i plan on switching completely to Beyond Earth once it comes out. In general im just excited that there is some new turn based strategy game to play competetively, who else are planning on leaving civ V behind and going beyond earth?

2. hicks53081

hicks53081 Chieftain

I will be making the switch, but I don't plan to stop playing Civ altogether. I imagine it will take some time for BE to be on par with BNW. I think I am like you and just mainly excited for a new turn based strategy game.

3. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha Chieftain

I'm not sure if/why it matters whether a switcher is "good" or not but I plan on playing a few games immediately.

I doubt it will be the case given they used the Civ5 engine and learned a lot from their mistakes, but IF Civ: BE is as bad as Civ5 was upon release, I'll be heading back to Civ5 in a hurry.

As I said, don't think that'll happen, though.

4. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Chieftain GOTM Staff

I expect the GotM/HoF (and generally civ5 forum) participation numbers to drop initially for the newness of it. How fast they may or may not recover will be interesting to follow. It always takes a few months for patches to fix things as well as maybe the first price drop on a Steam sale. I am not a 'buy it on release day' gamer. I always wait for the first patches/fixes to buy now that the industry standard is to 'rush to market and fix it later'. This usually coincides with the first 10-25% price drop on a Steam Sale to try to get people back.

5. MadHaxxor

MadHaxxor Chieftain

At this point I'm not even buying it. It looks like it's purely just a re-skin of civ 5

6. TheGrumpyBuddha

That's probably wise. I am not a "buy it on release day" gamer either, I think the only time I did so was with Civ5, and I got burned.

That said ... yeah, I'll probably do it again :).

7. TheGrumpyBuddha

Except for the affinities and tech web and aliens and new diplomacy options, I completely agree.

8. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

I'm unlikely to get the game before it goes on sale, and so will probably stick around with Civ V for a while (possibly until we get Civ VI, if BE doesn't turn out to be as good as it seems).

9. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I wont be buying it. Isn't it just civ with a sci-fi skin? It doesn't interest me.

10. Primacide

Primacide Settler

I just pre ordered copies for all of you!

Nay Sayers!!!

Won't you be glad when you have the bonus super secret map pack thingy?!

11. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Chieftain

I don't know. I never hang myself with a civ-spin off. On the other side, I'm looking on the side of civ online.

Wait and see.

12. TheGrumpyBuddha

I take it you've never played Alpha Centauri, then, eh? Must be a young'un! :D

I've been waiting for an Alpha Centauri sequel/reboot/whatever for a loooong time now...

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

I have absolutely no interest in it due to its sci-fi/futuristic themes. But that doesn't mean it's a bad game or does not have interesting gameplay elements.

14. waytofailself

waytofailself Chieftain

I'm not a good player, but I'm trying to get good with Civ so that I'm not totally in the dark when I start playing Beyond Earth. So I expect I'll be playing a bit of both.

15. Mahasona

Mahasona Chieftain

Once it gets a price drop (and a patch or two) yes.

But funnily enough I've just ordered Endless Space.

16. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions

17. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

No, but I did play Master of Orion. I'm pretty old.

18. Timally

Timally Chieftain

This really. Played as much SMAX as I have Civ V recently. A lot :lol:

19. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

I said the same thing about SMAC. I was a fairly well known Civ2 player, rather obsessive about that game, but I completely ignored SMAC due to its sci-fi/futuristic theme. It is simply a strong bias that I have but I do know how popular SMAC was among Civ2 players.

20. Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy Chieftain

Good player or not, I'm not making the switch. I'm kinda disappointed since sci-fi don't interests me.
    I'd rather play civ V in the ancient era the whole game.

I hope this won't affect any release of civ VI, since that really is what I want.