Who Needs Pluto Anyway?

oh well. i miss the point often. thats just me sir.

The conditions in question being: in possession of a spyglass and knowing beforehand where to look.

You realize that at Pluto's distance, the Sun appears the size of any other star? If the Sun is that big from that far away, just how big to do expect a planet much smaller than the Sun to appear to us at four times that distance?

IIRC, the article said something about 375 times the distance between Pluto and the Sun.

and that woudl be... 500 AU? maybe 1000? im not sure..

is there a limit on how far the suns gravity can effect objects?

The hunt is on for a gas giant up to four times the mass of Jupiter thought to be lurking in the outer Oort Cloud, the most remote region of the solar system. The orbit of Tyche (pronounced ty-kee), would be 15,000 times farther from the Sun than the Earth's, and 375 times farther than Pluto's, which is why it hasn't been seen so far.

It seems I recalled correctly.

no. at plutos distance, the sun would be a lot brighter and larger than any other star.

I admit this was a bit of hyperbole, but I was only talking about its size not its apparent brightness. It would be a bit bigger, yes, and a lot brighter, but still only a point of light.

and, i admit that you guys are right. and i am wrong. i guess i didnt make any sense and im babbling like a monkey.

Nonsense. You were simply wrong. :)

and that woudl be... 500 AU? maybe 1000? im not sure..

is there a limit on how far the suns gravity can effect objects?

The Sun's distance limit is the same as everything else in the universe.

th edge of the oort cloud is one light year away. it coudl be anywhere from half a light year to a full lightyear from the sun. was there any star a light year or so away in all of 5 billion years?

Damn straight. :smug:

And BTW, there already is a gas giant beyond Pluto that's been known about for a few decades.

Her name is Nibiru. :mischief:

The International Astronomical Union is probably going to continue going down new paths calling Tyche by a new term just like they did with Pluto. The reasoning behind this is that Tyche can not be a baby of our sun and is most likely hitched on from another starsystem in one of the ~30 MYR oscillations we do throught the galactic plane.

So, what do you think the IAU would call such a heavenly body?

If so it would be a bastard since it's the product of the interaction between the suns gravitonic field and another stars gravitonic field. Hey, I know it. Bastard Planet.

Then why not just call it Jersey?

We could also call it our Adopted Sun.

On a mare serious note they might land on Baryonic Planet as a name for it. It's not a star since thermonuclear reactions that close to us would be easily detecable. Why Baryonic Planet? Baryonic matter is the regular part of non-observable mass called dark matter. Normal matter that does not radiate any detectable levels of elecromagnetic radiation. So, if it remains undetecable directly and only by proxy with it's effect on other bodies in the solar system it would be a good name I think :)

Top Bottom