Zards Political Theories In Action

Well your the one who wants violent revolution.
Oh come now, we are both okay with different kinds of violence. How was NZ settled again? Peacefully was it?

Oh come now, we are both okay with different kinds of violence. How was NZ settled again? Peacefully was it?
That wasn't done by the NZ government though but British.

Maori Renaissance started 70s, compensation started 90s its a work in progress.

LMAO
1696546897405.png

Very few people here identify as British who weren't born there.

You come across the odd "Scot" or whatever.

British identity faded away around 100 years ago tgey tried Empire instead but it didn't stick.

Personally identify as NZer or kiwi. Might be some Polynesian in there but can't verify it or if father was telling the truth.

To what extent do you think the rolling smoking ban

impacted voting in New Zealand ?

Not that I'm aware. It's illegal to smoke cigarettes in most shops, restaurants etc and they've been pushing anti smoking since the 1980s.

Think less than 10% smoke now. Vapes probably not.

Very few people here identify as British who weren't born there.

You come across the odd "Scot" or whatever.

British identity faded away around 100 years ago tgey tried Empire instead but it didn't stick.

Personally identify as NZer or kiwi. Might be some Polynesian in there but can't verify it or if father was telling the truth.

Lmao you're still british bro

Lmao you're still british bro

Never been there and not 100% sure of my heritage.

I've heard conflicting stories and don't know one side that well and can't conform the other side.

There may be some Polynesian in there definitely Scots/Welsh not sure on English.

We haven't seen ourselves as British since around WW1. The troops went back sounded different, looked different (better diets, taller) and then got treated like crap by British officers.

It's a state of mind, one you definitely have as evident by how you conduct yourself, really you only have yourself to blame

Like it or not I think NZers have a greater connection to Britain than the Australians. Something my Australian dad noticed was that in Australia, if they had to choose who to support in a game between NZ and GB they'd support GB unequivocally, while NZers would support GB in a game between AU and GB.

NZ's history is certainly not peaceful, and besides the British settlers then are the New Zealand citizens now. We're not necessarily responsible for what happened, but we are responsible for recognising and evening out the misjustice. I think I've talked about Governor Grey and the Waikato War before.

This is rather off the topic of the thread, though. Something more on topic I hear Luxon regrets his dalliance with Winston Peters... who doesn't? Well, except Jacinda Ardern, she came out far on top of that one all those years ago.

Edit: Sorry, meant the Australians would support NZ unequivocally against GB. NZ doesn't share the sentiment and supports GB against AU. Seems like you kinda got my idea though...

Last edited:
Like it or not I think NZers have a greater connection to Britain than the Australians. Something my Australian dad noticed was that in Australia, if they had to choose who to support in a game between NZ and GB they'd support GB unequivocally, while NZers would support GB in a game between AU and GB.

This is rather off the topic of the thread, though. Something more on topic I hear Luxon regrets his dalliance with Winston Peters... who doesn't? Well, except Jacinda Ardern, she came out far on top of that one all those years ago.

That's very simple to explain. We support two sports teams. NZ and anyone playing Australia.

You back Australia though if someone from the UK or USA says anything mean. We hate Australia it's only sports. Anything else team ANZAC.

It's genetic.

By the way I went to Countdown today and saw it was named Woolworths :mad: how dare the Australian brand rename itself to its original name. Australian neo-colonialism!

By the way I went to Countdown today and saw it was named Woolworths :mad: how dare the Australian brand rename itself to its original name. Australian neo-colonialism!

Heh we had Woolworth on 80s but it was a department store vs supermarket iirc. Now a countdown not sure if they have rebranded yet.

Just remember that etiquette lesson;) Against Australia with sports, team ANZAC vs anyone else espicially the poms and yanks.

They cheat at cricket as well.

Ah meant the other way around that Australians support NZ against GB, NZers support GB against Australia. Getting tired. Maybe just because he's an Australian in a room full of Kiwis :)

You silly fool, Zard. The fash don't care about self-identification.

Last edited:
In the United States nearly every electorate sees about 99% votes for the two big parties. That minimises the distortions caused by FPTP, and leaves only the inherent representation and proportionality problems inherent to single member districts.

In Canada and the UK by contrast, most electorates have a lot more than 1 or 2 percent of votes going to candidates other than the top two, so the direct FPTP distortions are much greater.

Those countries can have the two leading candidates in many seats only get something like 35 and 30 percent, or worse, which leads to all sorts of wildly unrepresentative and ambiguous outcomes, like a party winning a seat when most voters would have definitely preferred a specific other winner (the classic example being a seat where NDP and Libs get most of the vote between them, but the Tories skate through with like a third of the vote).

Those sorts of perverse individual seat outcomes are basically not seen in almost purely two party US elections. Instead, there, most of the undemocratic results are due to vote suppression and gerrymandering, since the actual vote tallies are usually 99% Dem plus GOP.

This is all to say nothing of the way FPTP systems with more than 2 viable parties have crippling tactical voting dilemmas and produce wildly disproportionate and unrepresentative results in kinda random ways, something that again the truly 2 party US doesn't really experience.
For this reason I think FPTP combined with single transferable vote is a good system (perhaps the best system?) but without single transferable vote I don’t like it as much.

Top Bottom