Whom would you like to see as lead designer of civ 6: edited to add sulla to list

Whom would you like to have as lead designer of civ 6?

• Total voters
I like how the list is

- Designer
- Designer
- Designer
- Designer (ex)
- (Possibly) designer
- Playtester / person with loud soapbox :lol:

My candidates:

1) Vic Davis (Armageddon Empires/Solium Infernum)

2) Chris Park (A.I. Wars)

I would exclude previous civ lead designers and modders from my list (damn. just shot my own foot)

reason : prev designers already added what they thought was the ultimate civ and I want c6 to be new and innovative and go where no man has gone before. I dont mind if c6 strays from original design as long as it makes sense and are interesting to play.

modders... mmm .... shafer was a modder. A modder usually adds interesting things to already constructed core. A lead designer is supposed to build/invent/construct that core.

However, your trashing of people with considerable modding and/or game designing skills is quite curious and is making me regret that decision.

Saying one mod is scripted and the other suffers from feature bloat is not trashing. I've had much worse said of my mods plenty of times (see Road to War forum for history discussions for example). I have also in the past justified my position on those particular mods quite extensively, so further it is not trashing there mods, but rather a summary of constructive criticism.

I do believe that Sullla will be writing up some ideas on what he considers good game design. I consider that quite constructive and positive.

Perhaps you should do the same. It would certainly further your election bid.

This came up in the Sullla analysis thread already, have you seen the "A New World" link in my sig?

Anyway I'm not in the running, I'd rather make my own game, because then I'd have full control over it, not half control and have to share with shareholders, executives, publishers, investors and producers. :)

I took you off of ignore awhile ago. I even told you that. I believe in giving people a second chance.

I certainly respect your modding skills and you do contribute valuable information to these forums from time to time. So, I thought that my actions were rash.

However, your trashing of people with considerable modding and/or game designing skills is quite curious and is making me regret that decision.

You seem to be slinging mud like it was election time. :lol:

Do you have any campaign promises to make if you are elected lead designer? ;)

I do believe that Sullla will be writing up some ideas on what he considers good game design. I consider that quite constructive and positive.

Perhaps you should do the same. It would certainly further your election bid.

Not trying to derail my own thread here, but here goes:

Sulla has definitely been a polarizing figure re ciV. He's been very critical of it and galvanized many who might have been on the fence to lean against it. However, he also has very clear ideas on how to improve the game/where he thinks it went wrong/etc. Clearly he genuinely cares about the series overall and is a true "fanatic". It's too bad that others who have been critical of ciV couldn't be more constructive with their criticism, it feels like half the threads here in general discussion are "why I hate ciV" bash-fests that don't bring to light any new thoughts/ideas/helpful suggestions,etc.

@ds61514: I only listed people who are/were well-known in Civ circles. Solium infernum looks very interesting, paradox could have potential etc etc as well, I just don't know enough about any of their designers.

Saying one mod is scripted and the other suffers from feature bloat is not trashing. I've had much worse said of my mods plenty of times (see Road to War forum for history discussions for example). I have also in the past justified my position on those particular mods quite extensively, so further it is not trashing there mods, but rather a summary of constructive criticism.

This came up in the Sullla analysis thread already, have you seen the "A New World" link in my sig?

Anyway I'm not in the running, I'd rather make my own game, because then I'd have full control over it, not half control and have to share with shareholders, executives, publishers, investors and producers. :)

Definitely glad to hear that. The genre really does need more competition. :)

In all seriousness, I'd like to see the previously aforementioned people as well as yourself working on Civ VI. You seem to share differing opinions on some things and I think that's a positive if it can be harnessed correctly.

Not trying to derail my own thread here, but here goes:

Sulla has definitely been a polarizing figure re ciV. He's been very critical of it and galvanized many who might have been on the fence to lean against it. However, he also has very clear ideas on how to improve the game/where he thinks it went wrong/etc. Clearly he genuinely cares about the series overall and is a true "fanatic". It's too bad that others who have been critical of ciV couldn't be more constructive with their criticism, it feels like half the threads here in general discussion are "why I hate ciV" bash-fests that don't bring to light any new thoughts/ideas/helpful suggestions,etc.

@ds61514: I only listed people who are/were well-known in Civ circles. Solium infernum looks very interesting, paradox could have potential etc etc as well, I just don't know enough about any of their designers.

I definitely care about the Civ series as do a vast majority of people who dislike Failure 5. Settling for an inferior product is just going to get the community more of the same in the future.

By and large, there have been plenty of helpful suggestions as to how to go forward from here and Sullla's ideas are among the most prominent.

I genuinely do want a quality Civ VI and that is why I am so happy to see Sullla doing some spade work on the subject.

It's wishfull thinking to see old lead designers coming back.
So, here's a wild guess from me :

Me, me, I can design & code

My dream team for Civ6 would include some of the people who are now working on CK2 and Magna Mundi.

The Dream Team

• Lead designer: Rhye
  • Main development team:
    Soren Johnson
    Johan Andersson
    Henrik “Doomdark” Fåhraeus (Crusader Kings II)
    Kael
    Ubik (Magna Mundi)
  • Lead tester: Sullla

But... when they got everyone together for a design meeting... where would Ubik's ego sit?

And I agree with Dale. Rhys and Ubik believe too heavily in scripting a history lesson. Remove them from the list, add King from Paradox as the customer service rep (for pure comedy gold), and I'm in.

I have respect for Sid and Brian Reynolds but I think another game with Soren Johnson at the helm would have the potential to be great. Hell at this juncture, anything has the potential to be better than Civilization V.

Sullla as Lead Designer? Sorry, no. Sullla as a "lead" playtester... Absolutely. In fact, Sullla is one of the best playtesters I've come across on the 'net. His tales of his games are, I think, second to none and his critiques of Civ IV and V have been on the money.

I generally agree with a lot of Sullla's thoughts on what "New Civ" should be, and certainly hope that his ideas have some sort of impact on Firaxis. I'd certainly be in favour of them hiring him on as a creative consultant of some sort for a new civ game, not that I have any influence whatsoever there.

As for a "lead designer", I notice that the knee-jerk reaction from the plurality is to prefer Soren Johnson for this role, but I think the role could (and perhaps should) be filled by someone new - just as long as they're familiar with civ and are both capable and committed enough to follow through with designing (what should be) an epic sequel to the series. Ideally it should be someone not afraid of adding tonnes of detailed content to a game (despite the extra workload involved)... nor afraid of taking the best parts from both Civ4 and Civ5 while leaving behind the dubious stuff, and leading the series forward (i.e. towards something worthy of the title "Civ6"), not backwards (i.e. even further stripped of content).

I do think Soren did an incredible job with Civ4, and I certainly wouldn't be against him designing a future version of civ - I just wonder if he'd face burnout from too much exposure to the series. What do I know though, right? :)

I voted for Soren, not only because I think IV Complete is the greatest video game ever, but because I like the things I've read on his blog and seen of his interviews about games in general.

I'm looking forward to Dale's Civ V mod.

I voted Sulla. He seems very sharp and very expert about the game and strategy games in general. The other fellows whose names I recognized would I'm sure do a great job too.

But here is a question to mull over: would a different "lead designer" or different design team really matter? Specifically, given the game is still owned by 2K, would it really matter?

Maybe it was just speculation, but I've heard many guys on here talk about decisions that came down from 2K and which constrained or impinged the options enjoyed by the Civ5 design team? Anyone know if there is any truth to such claims?

A great ship, with a great crew, and a great captain might still not achieve its potential if it is part of a lousy fleet or has a lousy fleet admiralty in charge.

Maybe it was just speculation, but I've heard many guys on here talk about decisions that came down from 2K and which constrained or impinged the options enjoyed by the Civ5 design team? Anyone know if there is any truth to such claims?

The ones who know will not tell you, and the ones who tell you don't know.

Personally (and no, I don't know either) I think that 2K decided to have the game released in late September. And yes, this may have been a surprise to the dev team. But it was a surprise which came 6 months before delivery.
So, 2K might be "responsible" for reduced options in the game, but Firaxis is responsible for bad design and bad implementation.

Sid him self. I'd love to see how his game would turn out.

It would be like CivRev and would be distinctly retro, because Sid always loved Civ1 game mechanics best of all and that's why he never contributed to the other Civ games for PC.

Honestly, i read Sulla's account of some online game he played, and that left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I would never trust him to design anything. The guy would never be able to carry a team until the end.

Soren Johnson not only had the right ideas, he spelled them out and explained them so well that anybody could understand why he was doing what he was doing.

Top Bottom