1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

WHoward's Pick 'N' Mix Mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by whoward69, Jul 7, 2011.

1. bladex

bladex Emperor

how do you use the city expansion mod? it keeps saying my borders have expanded but i can't select which tile to let it expand to? i have DLL v22 and BNW

2. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

The DLL only adds functionality, to use any specific function you will need it's companion (micro-)mod - in this case "UI - City Expansion"

3. bladex

bladex Emperor

yes i have that installed and enabled how do you select which tile to expand to?

4. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

You'll get the "purple hex" icon notification and the End Turn button will also change (to City Growth IIRC) clicking either will open the City View screen in Buy Tile mode. Several of the tiles will then have a zero cost and display as free (the others will have ben reduced) click a free tile to expand.

If you are using any other mod that also changes the CityView.lua or ActionInfoPanel.lua files, then it will conflict. Occasionally (usually when the city is large) no selectable tiles (outlined in purple) show as free, but at least one should be cheap (on standard speed, usually 15 gold)

5. bladex

bladex Emperor

so the only tiles you can expand will be purple you can't select any tile around the border?

6. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

You can only expand to tiles you could normally buy - basically the auto-expand method builds a list of all the cheapest tiles and then picks one at random. The mod effectively gives you a discount of that amount on all tiles when it's time for the city to expand.

7. bladex

bladex Emperor

it's only letting me select 2 tile for free not all of them?

8. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Screeb grab?

9. bladex

bladex Emperor

" align="" border="0" />

10. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

That's correct, the purple highlight indicates the tile(s) that would have been chosen from randomly in a standard game, so that's the ones you can manually choose from (buy for free). However, if you don't want either of those you can buy any other tile at a discount - if you back up one turn if the cost of the purple tiles had been 50 gold, all the others would be 50 gold more expensive.

Perhaps the confusion is that it's not a free choice of any tile you can buy, but a free choice of any of the ones that the game would have chosen from randomly on your behalf. If you have a worker and already researched mining, having the computer randomly choose the oranges is really annoying!

11. bladex

bladex Emperor

12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where do I find the mod of yours that adds Unique Buildings for every Civilization? That's what I'm *really* craving right now ;-).

Aussie.

13. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

http://www.picknmixmods.com/main/home/home.html

Scroll to the bottom of the nav panel under "Unique Buildings" - but you'll need to download individual mods for each civ/UB

It was too much effort to update the "compendium" so it's been retired

14. bladex

bladex Emperor

another Q about the city expansion mod: is it always supposed to be cheap the whole game to purchase tiles? the whole game it never went above 45 gold and that's buying tiles before the expansion thing is ready? each time i was buying tiles it only cost 20-45 gold

15. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

I appear to have broken the count of tiles bought, which given that it only occurs in one place takes some doing! I shall investigate this evening

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Hiya, just me again. Thanks for the help. I was just wondering, though, if these Unique Buildings are compatible with Brave New World or, more specifically, have they been updated for the BNW mechanics? If not, do you have any plans to (The City Gate & Schloss, for example, should probably now generate tourism-rather than gold-after Flight & Archeology respectively).

Yours,

Aussie.

17. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

The only UB that isn't compatible with BNW is the French one, as it breaks the Tenet that needs the Foreign Legion. The others all work as before, but have not been updated for any BNW specific features.

18. GMO

GMO Warlord

What does 'Global-Coastal Waters' do?
    I can't find a description.

Thanks.

19. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

It's an example of how to use two of the new events in the DLL to restrict coastal cities to water plots either immediately adjacent to land or with a feature (atoll) / resource (fish, whales, etc)

20. bladex

bladex Emperor

the tunnel boring machine doesn't seem to work it won't ever let me move onto a mountain tile