1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Korea not in Civ 5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by tifa9292, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Are you disappointed that korea is not in civ v?

1. yes, take out one of the europan civilizations

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. yes, increase number of civiliztions to 19, 20 or 21

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. yes, take out china/japan/siam/aztecs

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. no, but definitely include it in an expansion

78 vote(s)
    81.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Where's the "who gives a crap why do people go on and on about this nonsense every time a new version of civ or expansion comes out" poll option? :(

2. Tusked

Tusked Chieftain

He was probably counting Persia as a middle-eastern civilization - and people often forget India when talking about Asia. The perils of being on a subcontinent.

3. tifa9292

tifa9292 Chieftain

nono not kim jung-il or kim il-sung. :) they were horrible communist leaders that do not represent korea's rich history as a power.
    i think either of the king taejos of choson or goryeo would be good and not queen min since she didnt really do anything for korea other than be kill by the japanese

but i cant wait for expansion :). anyone know when it wil come out?

4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

You realize the release of Civ V is still at least six months away, right? They haven't even announced an expansion yet, so nobody knows when it will come out. People are just assuming one will come out and that it will contain Korea, but nobody really knows for sure. At the very earliest, I think an expansion pack would be another year and a half away (fall of 2011).

5. tifa9292

tifa9292 Chieftain

only for a short time in history is korea not independent in its history. and korea has 5000 years of history according to science ad recent reserch. i know about the bear myth but it is a myth.

http://www.seoulselection.com/index...ategory_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Korea - "Korea, one of the oldest continuous civilizations in the world[1], has over 5,000 years of history.[2] "

5000 years. longer than japan and i think china

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

You are not wrong to say that they should be in. :lol: Definitely Persia and India would be in my top 10 civilizations.

It's just that I group Persia as a Middle Eastern civilization, and India I tentatively put as Middle Eastern, even though personally it should deserve it's own category (but historically the game has lumped it together with the East Asian civs, which I see as kind of ridiculous).

Anyhow, point is, when I said "Asia", I meant East Asia (and I guess we can lump Southeast Asia into it too, for argument's sake, i.e. the Khmer would be my next choice after Korea), and not Asia as a whole... As "Asia" is such a large continent that lumping even the broad categories of cultures in it into the Western-centric grouping of "Asian" is in my opinion very insulting.

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

This is an extremely subjective comment. Whilst there is no definitive answer, if you do some research you'll find the following generally accepted facts:

- Special forces: Australian and UK special forces are the best in the World. Undisputed.
    - Air force: Israel has the best trained pilots in the World. Undisputed.
    - Navy: UK has the best trained navy in the World. Disputed by US, but most experts still agree on UK.
    - Army: General forces whilst US has the best equipped forces, Nepalese Gurkha units are the best in the World. Undisputed.
    - Army: Israel and UK have the best general forces training in the World. Disputed by US, but most experts still agree on Israel and UK.

So whilst the US can definitely claim the best equipped forces, they can by no means claims the best forces. They are one of the best, but not the top.

BTW, don't bother arguing these points as I won't be coming back to respond. :)

8. Dale

Dale Chieftain

That was posted after my comment, so ridiculous. :rolleyes:

9. phungus420

phungus420 Chieftain

10. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Persia was really the origin of the Mughals, who I certainly wouldnt' qualify as middle eastern, and half the persian empire (modern AfPak) was Asian.
    Persians also often resent being lumped in with Arabs.

???
    That's a somewhat... unusual... definition of Middle East.

Indians think of themselves as Asian. At least the ones I know do. Simialrly Bangladeshis. I don't know any Pakistanis.
    They see no insult; if anything they are amused that people say "Asian" but mean "East Asian".
    There's nothing "western-centric" about "Asian".

If you were in the UK, you'd also find that Asian by default means South Asian; if someone talks about Asian immigrants, they mean Indian, not Chinese.

Not sure what you mean here; culturally linked starting places?
    For basic gameplay it makes sense to keep India with Mongolia, China and Japan when you only have ~4 Asian civs.

While not being American myself, I think you would find that your "facts" are not exactly "generally accepted" at all, to call these "undisputed" is pretty laughable.

But its very hard to separate the quality of soldiers from the quality of their equipment - where the US armed forces have a fairly overwhelming advantage.

11. Varelse

Varelse Rabble Rouser

Undisputed? Says who?:lol:

12. toft

toft Chieftain

At least include an option for: NO! Not at all!

13. tifa9292

tifa9292 Chieftain

and why not? give a good reason why

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I guess it's something a good number of East Asians share, that we kind of feel "insulted" when we are lumped together with Indians. For most East Asians I guess it's because of racism against South Asians, but for me it's more so because of historical and cultural reasons. Although India has had much interaction with East Asia, I still see it as a distinct entity. For example, most of Europe and the Mediterranean is highly influenced by Greece and Rome to some degree or another, so I can loosely lump those civs as "Western". And then, for the Middle East, most of those civilizations were highly influenced by Persia and Arabia to some degree or another, so I can loosely lump those civs as "Middle Eastern". All the East Asian civs, then, were highly influenced by China, so I loosely lump them as " 'Asian' ".

The problem with India is that it's a bit of an anamoly. I do agree that lumping it as Middle Eastern does no justice to its unique culture, but in my opinion India has had more closer interaction with the Middle East than with East Asia, so that's why I (reluctantly) consider it to be Middle Eastern, but only for game flavor purposes, really.

The reason I consider the term "Asian" to be Western-centric is because the concept of Asia itself is Western-centric, since technically Europe and Asia are really one continent. The whole idea of Europe as a continent (as opposed to sub-continent) was just for the Europeans to say, "hey look, we're not like all of those people in Asia". Thanks for pointing out the thing about using "Asia" in Britain, I'll be sure to remember that. I think in America "Asia" refers more so to East Asians, since historically there's been more East Asian immigrants than South Asian immigrants.

Anyhow, my whole point is, when I say "Asian", I really mean "East Asian", since that's one less word to say. :D

15. Varelse

Varelse Rabble Rouser

Is it bad to refer to Asians of the epicanthic fold having variety as being oriental?

16. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yes, rugs, furniture, clothing, etc. are Oriental, not people.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Not too long ago it was, but I think as of late it's sort of not too offensive anymore. At least for me as an East Asian growing up in America, I myself don't see it as offensive, and all the East Asians I've interacted with, it seems the same for them as well.

18. Varelse

Varelse Rabble Rouser

Well "Asian" itself is way too vague. We gotta come up with something that is more specific without being insulting.

Edit: actually according to this Wiki article on the term "Orient" it is used to refer to people and places of the Far East. If the term Oriental itself has fallen out of favor, maybe Far Eastern would be a good term? We could even get a chance to take turns sneering at Californians when they say "far eastern from whose perspective? They're to the west of us!".

As to whether or not it is a Eurocentric perspective, well the game and the forums we chat in are centered around the English language...which is a fairly Eurocentric language, naturally. It would make sense that certain terms that seem Eurocentric when used in the English language might seem more Indo-centric, Afro-centric, Far East-centric when using languages from those regions.

19. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

You could use the ethnicity or nationality that they belong to. Oriental just means "eastern" -- it's no less vague than Asian.

20. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Chieftain

Oriental means eastern, but it also refers to South and South-East Asia, so it's a bit more specific then Asian. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oriental

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.