Why is Mongolia in and not Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifa9292

Chieftain
so the mongols are out, but i believe that korea is more important than mongols

mongolia got most of its culture from the turks, who are already represented by the ottomen, so their civilization is not a real civilization

while korea did have lots of its culture from china, we also have a lot of our own culture that influenced the world (hangul, tae kwon do, kimchi, calligraphy, korean drama, yi sun sin BoA, Rain, TVXQ, mp3 players, ban ki moon). mongolia today is far poorer than korea so it makes no sense at all

i believe that korea should be in

leader: taejo
second leader: yi sun sin
unique building: pavilion - +2 happiness
unique unit: peace keepers - double defence when aftacked
unique ability: endurance - other countries cannot declare war on korea

Moderator Action: This thread has been before in Civ5 General discussion and has been, because of the big OT component, moved to world history.

The Mongol's had the world's largest land based empire. The Koreans didn't really do much.

Yes... I assume you're from Korea? At least the unique abbility is good.

Heavy sigh.

Korea might be a good civilization to include at some point, but Mongols, at various points in history, have had an enormous impact on both Eastern and Western civilizations, not just for their own achievements but because of the way they shaped other civilizations.

We could sit here and argue whose impact on history was larger (i vote mongols) or who's the more influential nation nowadays (i vote n/s korea) however Korea has been in both Civ III and Civ IV at some point (although it wasn't a starting civ in either case). I think it's safe to say it'll be included at some point. If not in the two civ DLC coming later this year then in the first expansion maybe.

I'm all for more asian/american/africa civs - cultural diversity ftw.

On the other hand they would have to rename the Seoul city state, but then I guess that's why it's a generic city state and not a full blown civ to delete etc.

Citing BoA as a rationale for why Korea should be included in a Civ game isn't exactly a convincing argument.

Regardless, Korea should be added at some point but Mongolia is more important in terms of overall world history. It and Spain were the two most conspicuous absences in Civ5's original lineup, so adding it first makes perfect sense. As for Korea? Wait an expansion. It'll be there soon.

I dont see how korea ever affected the world as the mongols did.
Furthermore there are many more important civilizations that should be added before Korea i think.
I am very suprised Spain is not in the game though.
They have had a huge impact in the course of the european history together with England and France for many centuries, and they were the ones that defeated both the aztecs and inca civilization, aswell as being the driving force in exploring the american continents, early on.(just look at how many south american countries that speaks spanish today.)

Spain wasn't included is because there were more than enough Western civilizations (sadly).

The thing about it is that Spain would be the "easiest" one to remove. Can't really remove the English....or Germans....or French, Romans, and Americans. Wouldn't be surprised if Izzy came back to CivV in an expansion though.

Korea might be a good civilization to include at some point, but Mongols, at various points in history, have had an enormous impact on both Eastern and Western civilizations, not just for their own achievements but because of the way they shaped other civilizations.

This. Mongolia shaped history in a way unimaginable in today's context. Much of what we understand as Chinese culture today was dramatically shaped by Mongolia and, later, Manchu influences. Let alone middle-eastern culture, which they dramatically shaped as well.

mongolia got much of its culture from other civilizations, so korea > mongolia

sorry, if i offend anyone mongolia

no

america is as important as korea in the game

No. You said that since the Mongols got much of its culture from other civilizations, it's less than Korea but on the flipside, American culture is just every other culture on the planet through into a pot, stirred, and boiled.

No. You said that since the Mongols got much of its culture from other civilizations, it's less than Korea but on the flipside, American culture is just every other culture on the planet through into a pot, stirred, and boiled.

i agree, but i dont think that taking out america and putting in korea is the best option

maybe japan but not america

i agree, but i dont think that taking out america and putting in korea is the best option

maybe japan but not america

Umm....

Japan was the first eastern country to fully industrialize and use its industry to brutal effect across Southeast Asia and no one's about to replace one Asian nation for another.

The thing about it is that besides maybe Songhai and the Iroquois, there's no country Korea could replace.

The point is that with so few civs in first release, they had to cut stuff out.

Considering the time period covered by the game, 50 civs would maybe avoid cutting anything important...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom