Why is weather still such a big problem for mankind?

stratego

Trying to be good.
After seeing hurricanes strike Florida, I realize how much we are still at the mercy of nature. There was nothing we could do to stop it. We can send a space probe to Mars, we can terraform a mountain, and we can make little microchips that swim in your blood, but we can't prevent the roofs from ripping off in a hurricane. Can't we create a negative vector field of somesort to counter the hurricane?

It is Gods/Fates punishment to Florida for being such a nasty and drug corrupted swing state . :) LOL

Eh, we probably could, but we'd rather spend our money on other stuff, like sending spaceships to Mars, terraforming mountains, etc.

Why is weather still such a big problem for mankind?
Because even though we have fancy toys, we're still just mold growing on a giant boulder. On a planetary scale, we're just a bacterial colony with an attitude problem:goodjob:

"Why is weather such a problem for mankind".

As smart as we are, we live our existence completely dependent on the resources and equilibrium of a biosphere measured in the tens of kilometers thick. THis is just an onion skin. More over, we rely on about 4cm of topsoil for all land-based life.

We have evolved intelligence, but we have not had a situation to evolve anything beyond the situation beyond Earth. Thus we are not equiped to live beyond Earthen conditions.

Also, I do not know if you wanna mess with "passifying" weather systems too much. Many of these phenomena are at least partly responsible for the climatic conditions in countries. You don't wanna accidentally freeze Britain.

Actually I like the idea of being at the mercy of natural forces, such as volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, meteorites... It helps mankind not getting too carried away.
That say, why do people keep living in dangerous aeras ? It's not like it's unusual for Florida to be hit by hurricanes, so why do the people keep living here ?
The most amazing case, for me, are people living in the neighbourhood of active volcanoes. I'm balanced between laughs and pity for these guys.
Sure, the soil is much more fertile around a volcano, but in the 21st century, I'm not sure that's still a sound argument.

Well, in place of extreme sports, if you are lazy, settle down by a volcano LOL :)

Go Italians!

Actually there are many ways that we could try and affect the weather, most of them have to do with creating artificial local high and/or low pressure systems.

The thing is that research on those topics is 'banned' because it would become a most powerful weapon.

Say you could cause a regonal drought, or unseasonable snow.

Think of how many battles in history have been won or lost because of the weather.

Masquerouge said:
Actually I like the idea of being at the mercy of natural forces, such as volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, meteorites... It helps mankind not getting too carried away.

I agree! :goodjob: Mother nature has a way of keeping us in check and humbling our arrogant attitude.

Roof shingle technology just hasn't advanced in the last few years. It seems like it's a rather low priority.

Another factor to consider, hurricans and other storms seem to be becoming worse with global warming making it harder to counter.

try building houses outa brick

Most of the hurricane damage in Florida is due to the fact that most buildings there are cheaply built. If a Category 5 hurricane hit the Northeast with five days' warning, the damage would be considerably less than Hurricane Andrew since the structures in the Northeast are much older and sturdier.

Dumb pothead said:
Because even though we have fancy toys, we're still just mold growing on a giant boulder. On a planetary scale, we're just a bacterial colony with an attitude problem:goodjob:
You've summarized it all. Perfect. Nothing to add. ;)

We know perfectly well how to protect ourselves against bad weather.

It is not the first time a hurricane hit Florida. People living there know that hurricanes will come every now and then. They also know how to build houses that will not be destroyed by hurricanes.

In my neighbourhood minor floods are the most usual natural “disaster”. Every time that happens some stupid people get on TV to complain about how much damage the water have done to their houses. What do people expect when they build their house right next to a river?

Stupidity, ignorance and laziness are the usual reasons why bad weather causes problems. People should spend a little time to think about what kind of natural forces their constructions will be exposed to before they start building. Most of the damages from natural disasters could easily have been avoided. Weather will not be a big problem for mankind if we start to plan a little before we build stuff!

Sorry, but I must disagree with some of the opinions here.

First, for those who blame building standards or stupidity.

This is a component, specifically on a short time scale. But what if a volcanoe dormant for thousands of years suddenly erupts. Or there is an earthquake where there has not been one in human history. What about meteorites, or a river changing its course?

On what time scale do we try to ensure safety from natural disasters? How much is it reasonable to spend, and on what time scale? This is a cost/benefit analysis that is done by insurance agencies all the time.

Second, for those who think we cannot change the course of natural disasters.

We have been holding the course of the mississippi river for quite a long time now. It is the natural state for rivers to change their course periodically and the mississippi has wanted to do so for quite a while. This is one of the largest civil engeneering projects ever undertaken by mankind, and incidentally is a big reason why flood insurance is handled by the federal government.

We mittigate the effects of drought and flood with the use of dams, levees, floodways, and wells.

As far as the weather, we certainly can project enough energy into localized areas of the atmosphere to affect it. That we do not currently do so is the result of a cost/benefit analysis, though certainly more research would be needed to make the technology reliable. We do seed clouds and thus change the distribution of rainfall.

Much of global weather is controlled by a few parameters like (here in the US) the 'gulf stream' and the 'jet stream', there are also the various cycles like ENSO (El Niño/La Niña). These seem to be controlled by relatively small perturbations in oceanic temperature and/or atmospheric pressure systems.

Not that I think it is a good idea to screw with global weather patterns, but there is no a priori reason why we couldn't.

Top Bottom