Why no Fast Combat toggle mid game?

Human Being

Chieftain
I'm hoping somebody with a fuller understanding of game design/development/programming could offer a theory on why there is no option to toggle fast combat after the game has begun. I know this probably doesn't register as a pressing issue for most, but this has been a huge bugaboo for me. Civ5 definitely has its flaws, but I thoroughly enjoy the game and want to be able to appreciate the things that it does well. One of the things that I enjoy are the fantastic combat animations.

However, has anybody who has played on a map size above Tiny or engage in warfare past the medieval age knows - it's simple not realistic to fight prolonged wars when you have to stop 25 times a turn for 3 second animations. I would be in heaven if I could begin a game with animations on, watch my archers skirmish with barbs or my catapults bombard an enemy city, but then switch them off later in the game when I need to issue 10 stealth bomber missions each turn.

So what gives?

(p.s. If I am being incredibly stupid and missing the toggle somewhere in the menu, please let me know... and be nice;))

Here's a workaround.
If you press F10, you'll switch to 2d mode (IIRC, it's the so-called "strategic" view), which resolves combat istantly without any animation.
You can switch forth and back even during AI turn, and it increases enormously the speed in the later turns.

It's a good suggestion but I think there is some bug with strategic view for doing this, but maybe it only applies to mods:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442201&highlight=strategic+view

Cheers

Top Bottom