Why so many many AI religious units?

planetfall

Emperor
There are just too many AI units flooding the map.

How are they cheating to get so many?

We can't kill them, and the increased cost with each build, is a joy killer. Is there a way, without disabling religion, to reduce the AI missionaries, etc/

They’re not cheating. You need to keep up by building up your own religious units to defend against them.

The only way may be a mod.

That's the main reason I disable the religious victory. It's not enjoyable but if you ignore it, the AI could win the game that way.

If you're at war with an AI, your military units can use "Denounce Heretic" against religious units from that AI who has another religion. It lets you clear your homeland of their apostles and missionaries. On the other hand, if they're coming from your ally, you have fewer options. Just like you keep a military garrison, you may need a garrison of inquisitors.

Isn't it ironic that the AI does much better with religious combat (where terrain and walls are not a factor) than it does with military combat?

If you have an apostle with the Debater +20 religious combat promotion, and you heal it with gurus, the AI can't touch you. Religious units also benefit from flanking (sounds idiotic, I know, but hey, so is the whole concept of religious combat), so you can make that Debater even more powerful by flanking the foreign religious unit with more of your own.

What I find most annoying about religious combat is the lack of in-game notifications about foreign units entering your borders and cities being converted.

What I am more curious about is why the AI doesnt seem to target my cities (other than my holy city) with their units, as long as I have founded my own religion.
They will target my cities only if they have no religion, and otherwise go to other player's cities that have my religion in them in order to stamp it out, but virtually never try to convert one of my cities with my own religion in it.
While convenient, it makes the religious game essentially a non-factor.

What I am more curious about is why the AI doesnt seem to target my cities (other than my holy city) with their units, as long as I have founded my own religion.
They will target my cities only if they have no religion, and otherwise go to other player's cities that have my religion in them in order to stamp it out, but virtually never try to convert one of my cities with my own religion in it.
While convenient, it makes the religious game essentially a non-factor.
There are grievances for that. AI basically tries to avoid them as much as possible.

If you have an apostle with the Debater +20 religious combat promotion, and you heal it with gurus, the AI can't touch you. Religious units also benefit from flanking (sounds idiotic, I know, but hey, so is the whole concept of religious combat), so you can make that Debater even more powerful by flanking the foreign religious unit with more of your own.

What I find most annoying about religious combat is the lack of in-game notifications about foreign units entering your borders and cities being converted.
Ohh yeah, debaters are so good to defend or attack other religious units. The best in the game at that topic.

Something related to religious combat that you may also not be aware of is that religious units can heal if they rest next to a holy site

Of course, when the heathens come in and cause trouble, you can just go obliterate their civ and stamp out the heresy. :D

(that's what I do. and yes, RV is turned off always)

Religious units I can deal with. It's the bloody Voidsingers that are a problem. They just get in the way.

At least they're on their own unit layer now. Remember when religious units used to be able to block military units and scouts and such? That was tedious.

Top Bottom