Will it be steam based?

I think I have a better insight into their policy than you appear to,

You're right at this point :yup:.

where you use words like "There's a big chance" to describe things you are clearly don't have any insight in and is clearly your own baseless guessing.

Was just a guess, based on an economical view.

No they can't.

:lol:

I read somewhere that Civ 5 will be steam based? Am I right? Hope it's optional though

:think: wait, about what are we discussing here?

I pray that the crappy useless steam will be purely optional. the little i use it for TF2, i get ridiculous speeds, 150 kbs on good days whit average at 75 kbs, and that is whit the closest server, the bloody program disconnects randomly for no reason.

Give me the good old boxed version whit cd not requiring steam.

(sidenote, Impulse download speeds average at 725kbs for me, same whit other higspeed DLs, so not machine/isp based trubble)

lol norway

i get ridiculous speeds, 150 kbs on good days whit average at 75 kbs, and that is whit the closest server, the bloody program disconnects randomly for no reason.

(sidenote, Impulse download speeds average at 725kbs for me, same whit other higspeed DLs, so not machine/isp based trubble)

Wow... go look up the word "latency", then look up "bandwidth". Then maybe you can come back and explain how wrong your reasoning is.

Was just a guess, based on an economical view.

If you basing the idea of Valve (non-VAC) banning someone's free Steam account on economics, then you have no idea what economics means. Simple economics states that valve shouldn't mess with the quite large moneymaker in anyway that could lose money, which your idea does. Instead better name for it would be baseless paranoia.

If you basing the idea of Valve (non-VAC) banning someone's free Steam account on economics, then you have no idea what economics means. Simple economics states that valve shouldn't mess with the quite large moneymaker in anyway that could lose money, which your idea does. Instead better name for it would be baseless paranoia.

IIRC, VAC bans only apply on VAC servers. To get banned in the first place you have to be on a VAC server. The ban means you can't play on any other VAC-enabled servers with the same game engine. What happens in VAC stays in VAC.

VAC is used pretty much exclusively by Valve's in-house games. I don't know of a third party (like Firaxis) that uses (or can even use) VAC.

I pray that the crappy useless steam will be purely optional. the little i use it for TF2, i get ridiculous speeds, 150 kbs on good days whit average at 75 kbs, and that is whit the closest server, the bloody program disconnects randomly for no reason.

Give me the good old boxed version whit cd not requiring steam.

You can hate on Steam if you want, you may have had a bad experience with it and I won't argue about that. But this is not Ubisoft. Legally they can't just ban your account and disable all your games. Please read my post earlier in the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8990060&postcount=254 and if you have any objections to that, feel free to make them heard. Just stop spreading this paranoia BS.

Wow... go look up the word "latency", then look up "bandwidth". Then maybe you can come back and explain how wrong your reasoning is.

Both looked up, it still do not explain why i get a horridly slow connection to a server in same county (steam) and a fast connection to servers outside of country, the increased number of nodes for the signal to travel thru would have a increased latency but ofcourse thats in miliseconds, so please, id be happy whit a detailed bit of information telling me why the speed differences are of the size they are.

oh, an yes, should have used KB/s as the wording for the speeds instead of kbs.

IIRC, VAC bans only apply on VAC servers. To get banned in the first place you have to be on a VAC server. The ban means you can't play on any other VAC-enabled servers with the same game engine. What happens in VAC stays in VAC.

VAC is used pretty much exclusively by Valve's in-house games. I don't know of a third party (like Firaxis) that uses (or can even use) VAC.

I think Modern Warfare 2 uses VAC, but I'm not 100% sure.

Tripwire Interactive, creators of Red Orchestra: Ostfront use it. Their game is based on the Unreal engine (2.5). MW2 also uses it.

I'd imagine there'd be no need for it in Civ V. I'm sure the game must have checks in that allows other players' moves to be validated. Although I can't see how it'd be possible to do that and prevent people stripping away FoW. There again, Civilization is the game of the gentleman, so who needs anti-cheats. :p

Somehow I've missed this variant in the discussion,
the possibility to have securom-drm on a steam-based version of a game,
like EA did with bad company 2.

Somehow I've missed this variant in the discussion,
the possibility to have securom-drm on a steam-based version of a game,
like EA did with bad company 2.

Unfortunately it is entirely possible.
Not a welcome outcome of this discussion, but entirely possible.
However, If Civ5 supports steamworks, one would not expect a secondary layer of DRM? Is this correct? (I'm not sure). As a steamworks supported title would use steams DRM.
Is BC2 steamworks based? I was under the impression there was simply a steam version, and it was not a steamworks supported title. I could be wrong though.

(IMO this discussion is: We want minimum amount of disruption from DRM)

I personally dislike steam and all its derivatives.
The ability to hold the CD in my hand is a definite selling point in my eyes.

If steam or any other program is required for purchase or use of the game I would not buy it.

So yes, I sincerely hope that its not steam based.

:mad:I will never buy a game that REQUIRES me to be on the internet to use or have. Already have passed on three and as much as I love CIV, i'll pass on it's as well. PC games are killing themselves with this type of nonsense. THere are still a lot of us who have poor or no internet connections. No wonder the consoles are destroying PC gaming. The programers are helping.

Steam only would be a mistake and given Civ's worldwide and widespread popularity I can't see them doing something as stupid as going Steam only.

Scared of new technology.

You'll be the same way when you get to be our age you young whippersnapper!

"What do you mean they want to download the game directly to my brain chip? That's too intrusive! Back in my day they just downloaded the game to your hard drive!"

:mad:I will never buy a game that REQUIRES me to be on the internet to use or have.

Steam doesn't require a constant connection for a game to work, though it does need to unlock the game (but you are downloading it anyway so that's a done deal). Team Fortress 2 is heavily Steam-integrated, but even when all Steam servers are down for maintenance you can still play, though you do lose some extra features. :( A game like Civ which doesn't have steamworks integration is just a shortcut in steam, and the only difference between double clicking on the exe or the steam shortcut is whether you want the steam community overlay or not.

Now, if EA or Activision or Ubisoft was making Civ 5, then Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Right Clicks A Lot

:mad:I will never buy a game that REQUIRES me to be on the internet to use or have. Already have passed on three and as much as I love CIV, i'll pass on it's as well. PC games are killing themselves with this type of nonsense. THere are still a lot of us who have poor or no internet connections. No wonder the consoles are destroying PC gaming. The programers are helping.

Consoles are killing PC gaming because they're slightly easier to prevent people pirating console games.

Consoles are killing PC gaming because they're slightly easier to prevent people pirating console games.

Consoles having been beating PC gaming numerous reasons: complexity to use(now gone), hardware requirements(gave way a litte), limited space given to them in stores due to box size(increase to no longer even existing video game stores), and AC2 level drm(big reason for piracy). But pirating isn't bane of PC gaming that companies like to make you believe.

Those evil bastard PC-gaming destroying fascist people at Valve are at it again. There patching away SecROM from Bad Company 2. So any comments from the anti-Steam crowd? Linky

Those evil bastard PC-gaming destroying fascist people at Valve are at it again. There patching away SecROM from Bad Company 2. So any comments from the anti-Steam crowd? Linky

To be honest, I can understand that there are people who don't like being forced to use Steam if they were to buy something at retail. Personally, I think Steam is great and will almost certainly buy Civ V through it. Some of the concerns are more valid than others. Some were valid but aren't so much these days. Some are just personal feelings towards being made to install extraneous software to run what they've bought. I'd certainly prefer to see devs using Steam as DRM over any of the other forms that have recently emerged. If the game were to come out DRM free, that'd be amazing from a consumer point of view, it's probably not great from the developer's point of view though. I'm sure if piracy is too easy, it will start soaking up otherwise willing-to-pay customers. Obviously if it's too harsh, it will lose them as well. It's an issue of balance.

Part of the goal behind Steam is to not just provide DRM, but also incentives to buy legitimate copies of the game. Minor things like achievements, that if run through Steam are then lost in the pirated versions unless programmed in again and bigger things like lots of free updates. It certainly seems to work for Valve.

Top Bottom